Quantcast

lightweight 2.3 xc tire

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Whoa, are there ANY tires at 2.3 that can still be considered "XC"? Back in the day there was the Ritchey Z-Max, but last I've heard they don't come in that size anymore. And, they're not Stans friendly - skinwalls.

Edit: I'm running some IRC Trailbears right now for my trail riding rig - 2.25 and semi-Stans friendly (they leak a bit and require attention once a week).

wood-dog

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
the mid-west armpit!
I have looked into maxxis tires, however they are inaccurate reguarding the tire size. 6 weeks ago I ordered some 2.3 for my DH and when the tires came in they said 2.3 on the sidewall but they were actually 2.1's. I have lost faith in maxxis tires as well as nokian for the same reason. This is why I am looking for a TRUE 2.3. But still, thank you for your input

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
I have a ritchey 2.3 Zmax millinium (sp? I am super tired) And they work great, and they're pretty light too

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Pau11y said:
Whoa, are there ANY tires at 2.3 that can still be considered "XC"? Back in the day there was the Ritchey Z-Max, but last I've heard they don't come in that size anymore. And, they're not Stans friendly - skinwalls.
They're still making the Z-Max 2.3. I've got 'em on the front of my Giant. Who cares about Stan's anyways - just run tubes. :p

J

JRB

I'm liking some Kenda Kinetics USTs in 2.25. I like Trailbears ok, but like Paully said, not so good with latex.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
They are hard too find but Mosquitos come in a quite large 2.3" and they are very light. That being said they will not last long around sharp rocks. They are my favorite tire for wet roots though.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
some of the WTB weirwolf tires come in a light "race" type of casing. I think they come in around 700 grams or so - not too shabby for a 2.3 if you ask me.

Carbon Fetish

Monkey
May 6, 2002
Irvine, CA
jsigone said:
The WTB Mutando Raptor is 2.4 and claimed 590gm. Not sure on the quality or lifespan of that rubber.
I've been riding the 2.4 on my Heckler with Stans and they been holding up fine. That would be my top choice of tire for that size and weight.

jsigone

Chimp
May 26, 2005
Carbon Fetish said:
I've been riding the 2.4 on my Heckler with Stans and they been holding up fine. That would be my top choice of tire for that size and weight.
How's the cornering grip on those tires? I Like the weight of those tires. I can knock of 1/2lb just from those tires and still have the fatness I want for the rock gardens and cornering grip needed for racing Super D @ Big Bear.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
The 2.4 Mutanoraptors are good tires. They roll very very fast but are just a touch unpredictable in the corners. Especially if you push the front end and don't hold it all the way thru.

The Tioga Blue Dragon 2.3 are really good. They wear pretty fast and roll reasonably well but are as predictable as they come in the corners.

Weight wise they are about the same.

Its really a toss up performance wise (one rolls better one corners better) but I've stuck with the tiogas. As the more consistent cornering is more important to me. Though I've burned thru two sets in the time it took to wear out one set of Mutanoraptors...

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
I've been running conti vertical pro's for a few years now. I try other tires and keep going back to these. They are labeled as 2.3, but seem a tad smaller - 2.25ish. (if anyone wants to be that anal)

Carbon Fetish

Monkey
May 6, 2002
Irvine, CA
jsigone said:
How's the cornering grip on those tires? I Like the weight of those tires. I can knock of 1/2lb just from those tires and still have the fatness I want for the rock gardens and cornering grip needed for racing Super D @ Big Bear.
Like what DRB said, "...roll very very fast but are just a touch unpredictable in the corners."