Quantcast

Lightweight Magnesium SS

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
Here is my lightweight single speed project. The frame is a Litech magnesium, weighing 2.5 lbs. The fork is a Manitou Mars Super MRD, it is less than 3 lbs. The complete bike weighs 17 lbs, about the weight of a Hood frame. :) Most of my other bikes are a good bit heavier so this thing feels like a feather.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
It will likely crack at the seattube/seatstay junction...seems they all have/did, but enjoy it while it lasts. Mine went after about 10 months.

Fun fact: Those frames were used to smuggle cocaine into the country by the Russian mafia.

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
It will likely crack at the seattube/seatstay junction...seems they all have/did, but enjoy it while it lasts. Mine went after about 10 months.

Fun fact: Those frames were used to smuggle cocaine into the country by the Russian mafia.
Interesting fact...:shocked:

I have had it for a couple years, been good so far. I added a brake booster to the rear brake to eliminate some flex. I have talked to people that have been riding them for 5 years and still going.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I have had it for a couple years, been good so far. I added a brake booster to the rear brake to eliminate some flex. I have talked to people that have been riding them for 5 years and still going.
It seems to be hit and miss out here. Rumour was you needed lots of seat tube penetration to keep it from cracking. I had mine about 5 inches in and it didn't seem to help. I think two batches or more came in from Russia...Maybe I got one from the drunken welders run.

A few idiots down in Utah County (ever heard of Xango juice? Same place, same retard population, south of Salt Lake) got scammed into buying a whole assload of them, I assume after they got dumped after smuggling. They branded them as Litech (I think that's the "true" name?), Keefe, and Salt City Cycles...Anyway, I think one of the purchasers was pawning them all off on eBay for dirt cheap for the past few years (I got mine for fifty bucks).

Where'd you get yours? Cool frames. Mine was an ugly yellow...would've killed to get the textured black yours has.

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
It seems to be hit and miss out here. Rumour was you needed lots of seat tube penetration to keep it from cracking. I had mine about 5 inches in and it didn't seem to help. I think two batches or more came in from Russia...Maybe I got one from the drunken welders run.

A few idiots down in Utah County (ever heard of Xango juice? Same place, same retard population, south of Salt Lake) got scammed into buying a whole assload of them, I assume after they got dumped after smuggling. They branded them as Litech (I think that's the "true" name?), Keefe, and Salt City Cycles...Anyway, I think one of the purchasers was pawning them all off on eBay for dirt cheap for the past few years (I got mine for fifty bucks).

Where'd you get yours? Cool frames. Mine was an ugly yellow...would've killed to get the textured black yours has.
Yep, you can still get them pretty cheap on eBay (the yellow or green frames, Salt City Cycles). They are also sold under the names Saracen and Paketa, slightly different frames, they are big bucks. I think there have been several batches that have come over. I actually bought my frame on the classifieds section on here a couple years ago. I have only seen pics of a one or two others in textured black (left over anti-radar mig paint?) and very few have the Litech (the actual name of the company) sticker on them.

The seat tube issue is why I am using the long thomson post, it fits nice and tight.

Its a nice riding frame; similar to ti, but lighter.

I found a couple threads with more info about them:
mtbr 1
mtbr 2
weightweenies

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Damn, seems he's not selling any right now...I'd be tempted to pick one up to build up another stupid-light XC hardtail out of parts from the era of ultra-light hardtails...Too bad I gave my Parkpre back to the shop.

Oh yeah, I let the LBS have it after I broke it. I think they tried to light it on fire.