Quantcast

like long rides?

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
That's some distance. I just proposed an idea to a friend to ride ~150 on Skyline Drive this Memorial Day weekend in place of driving down to do the Mountains of Misery (MoM) event this year. The MoM does about 100 miles and climbs nearly 10,000 feet. When we did ~100 miles on Skyline and did ~12,500 feet. I think upping the mileage to ~150 should get us between 15000 and 20000. Should be a LONG day.

I'll have to check actual mileages and elevation gains from Front Royal, VA to Rt 33 and back. Though we'll probably be starting in the middle and using the starting point as a ~halfway break spot if needed.

Go for the 200K. Sounds sweet.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Go for it! The people you are with might make it or break it. It's nice to have good company if you're out for long rides. There is only SO much music I can listen to. :)

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Doug, go for the 200k!

I'm going to try for my first 200k this summer...

Morryjg said:
Glad I'm not the only one starting to dream of long rides this summer....

T R I P L E B Y P A S S :dead:
My girl's mom lives just west of Vail, a few miles from the finish of the Triple Bypass. So I hope to do the Triple, then ride to her home for the 125 miles.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I rode from Hartford to Saratoga by myself one day, following a brevet route from New Horizons Bikes.

Except for 10 miles where I met up with some guys at the NY border (and dropped them too after a century in the legs), I rode entirely alone.

Later that summer I rode Vernon-2-Vernon, a century ride. I went with my buddy, but we rarely rode with any groups.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
i've done 118 miles on the road on my fs mtb (almost 200k) and i've also done 115 miles off rhode of course on my mtb. I would like to do a 200 mile ride this year.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
sanjuro said:
I rode from Hartford to Saratoga by myself one day, following a brevet route from New Horizons Bikes.

Except for 10 miles where I met up with some guys at the NY border (and dropped them too after a century in the legs), I rode entirely alone.

Later that summer I rode Vernon-2-Vernon, a century ride. I went with my buddy, but we rarely rode with any groups.
ever think about doing RAAM?

saratoga is only 40 min's from me!

my longest ride jumped from 50('04) to 109 ('05)

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
douglas said:
ever think about doing RAAM?
I crewed on RAAM as a mechanic back in '94 & '95. After seeing what those guys go through first-hand, there is no way I'd want to be in their shoes.

More power to those that do wish to pursue that torture.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
When I worked at a shop in Amherst MA, we were pretty much on the route of some popular BMB qualifier. The riders would descend like birds of prey, manically gabbing and buying anything they could possibly need, so frazzled that they would just ride off leaving wallets and bags... uhhh Looked like fun....

I but my limit for fun at about 8 hours.

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
I did solo 225 km rides up Vancouver Island 2 summers in a row recently. And I did a small group ride from Jasper to Banff (250 kms through the Rockies) a number of years back. There are always a few ugly moments, but it's always a blast and it feels so good to step off when you get there.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
140 miles one day last year on a fixed gear down the California Coast. Quite a bit of climbing, not sure what the official elevation gain was, but it was a damn long day in the saddle. Having a full set of panniers in the back didn't help.

Those sound like fun rides though, I'll have to remember them for next year.

Currently planning a east to west cross country road ride for the summer. One hell of a graduation present for myself and a few friends! You are all more than welcome to join us for a few days if we end up going through your area, it will be for a good cause (yet to be determined).

good luck to you all with the uber long rides. I still remember my first century. SS and hungover, what a way to go!

The Ito

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
ito said:
Currently planning a east to west cross country road ride for the summer. One hell of a graduation present for myself and a few friends! You are all more than welcome to join us for a few days if we end up going through your area, it will be for a good cause (yet to be determined).
That sounds awesome!!! I want to do that on our tandem some day. Be sure to post your route.

J

JRB

I was pooped after 10 miles on the cross bike in the neighborhood last night.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
i got to do my first 'distance' ride since my broke collar bone.
30 miles of 'hilly' road on the mtb the 18 miles of single track sweetness. Felt good to be out on the bike.