Quantcast

'Lil Manimal finally got his full face

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
i wasn't planning on getting it for him for c-mas as he already had a bunch of other stuff.....but when i noticed the huge dent in his current helmet from a recent bad crash i decided it was time.

MikeDSX hooked up a killer deal on it that i couldn't refuse.

it's still a tiny bit big for his head but at least it doesn't move around at all. it fits his tiny cranium just fine but the cheek pads have about a 1/8" space between his cheek and the pad.

took him out riding for a few minutes before i had to go to work (yes, i worked c-mas eve and day 3pm-0130) and i think it's gonna take some getting used to. he crashed on the double because he couldn't see over the mouthguard. he was a little bit discouraged about that but i assured him that it's just something he'll just have to adapt to.

anyhoo, here are the pics.

something about this shot......think i'm gonna frame it.

a happy kid

first jump with it. it was so friggin cold outside that it hurt his face to go fast

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
my first thought when he put it on was Lord Helmet from Spaceballs

Lefty - he laughs when he watches bender try the jaw drop, he thinks it hilarious to watch bender bounce around and hit trees. :thumb:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Are you at all concerned about the swing-weight of the helmet? I've heard there are some issues with heavy helmets on little kids and increased issues with neck/spine.

Of course, those would probably be better than head-trauma! :thumb:

Maybe one of those neck braces under the bottom? :D

-S.S.-

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
My girlfriend was sitting next to me when I pulled up this thread.. She loved the pictures, and I pulled up all of your previous threads with pictures in them, including the video. She loved it.

Your kid is awesome, manimal :thumb: :D

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
SkaredShtles said:
Are you at all concerned about the swing-weight of the helmet? I've heard there are some issues with heavy helmets on little kids and increased issues with neck/spine.

Of course, those would probably be better than head-trauma! :thumb:

Maybe one of those neck braces under the bottom? :D

-S.S.-
i am a bit concerned about it as i can telll that the weight does have an effect on him. it was the first helmet i found that actually fit him so i bought it. i'd love to find something like a kids gyro switchblade with just enough jaw protection to keep him from smashing it but light enough that he wouldn't notice the difference.

i'm letting him wear the full face in short periods until he gets used to it. he still prefers his regular helmet when jumping, but i think he'll get used to it eventually.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
ah and soon (thursday/friday) he'll have another thing to put on his head
Steve!

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
he has two different bikes. i got him a larger 16" bike for him to start practicing on but he has a hard time jumping it as the leverage ratio is too high. he is unable to hold the front end up. i think the bike weighs around 15-16 lbs and he only weighs 32lbs, that'd be like me trying to manual a 120lb bike. he can throw his smaller bike around a lot better in the air. he loses some in cruising speed but at least he can hold it up.

his new bike, notice the size difference and how far back he is while trying to hold the front end up, it came right down as soon as he launched.

notice the size and stance difference on the small bike

the overall ride on the little bike is bumpier off road but until he gets a little bigger, i don't see him trying anything crazy on the big bike. it'd be like dirt jumping a beach cruiser :D

maybe i should link this thread in a PM to DW ;)