Quantcast

Lil' Manimal's blingin new ride!

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
First off, I need to thank the best shop manager in the world, MikeDSX, for building it up and throwing some rad stuff on there. Not many people could've made a standard manitou SX into a DH fork for a 38lb kid :thumb: Also, props to MadBob for the super short cranks, pedals and brakes.

we've been working on this bike for a while now. we ordered the frame on the specialized blemished site expecting a 16" kids hotrock frame that was simply a color test that never made it to production. instead of the 16", a 20" came in. so....we built it up anyway. mike pieced it all together as parts became available and it is far better than i ever expected :thumb:

noah went with me to pick it up today....he had no idea what he was getting (belated b-day present).

it's a bit big for him still but he can ride it much better than i thought. i'm going to cut the bars down and maybe put a shorter stem on it and try to find a smaller brake lever. minor tweaks for now but he absolutely LOVES it! i think it's even lighter than his 16" at about 22lbs and the fork works perfect for him. it's pretty raked out but we figured it would help out on his stair drops and stuff :thumb:

the builder, Mikedsx, and noah with the new ride

the first ride

of course i have to give props to this killer LBS (taken care of me for years now :thumb: )

testing out the fork

a little tall ;)

drivetrain

sweet

by the way, he's using the gears like he's had them for years. climbed some hills and shifted perfectly the first time like it was second nature. i was very impressed :D

proud dad :D :D :D :love:

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
like a little bender. with the handlebars up to the armpits and stuff. awesome.
now the only thins that could top this, is a drop with a bender style barhump.

beestiboy

Monkey
May 21, 2005
Merded, ca
Did you guys experiment with a 16" up front since you arent using a brake up there anyway?

Once again we are witnessing a prodigy in training. Absolutely awesome.

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
manimal said:
i THINK it's a 36 o38 but i'm not sure. madbob would know better than i...it's his kids old ring/cranks :thumb:
I think we actually put an old mrp ring on there. Madbob's was a 40-something I think, so we put somethin a little smaller on there. We were worried about clearance.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Awesome.

:thumb:

I would put some kind of front chain control on there, he's gonna be getting more rad every day - thrown chains are in the near future.

Even a front derailleur set up with the limit screws as a rudimentary guide would help.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
H8R said:
Awesome.

:thumb:

I would put some kind of front chain control on there, he's gonna be getting more rad every day - thrown chains are in the near future.

Even a front derailleur set up with the limit screws as a rudimentary guide would help.
yeah, he's dropped it a few times. i'm gonna go with the trusty old double bash guard setup. i have it on all my bikes and have never dropped a chain with it, even sans rollers.

R

richcreek

you should put a frount brake on that thing. all you have to do is put a disc up there by lacing up a disc hub to that 20 inch wheel. It should look cool and stop really good. Give him my compliments on that sweet bike!:) :cool:

P:S i am dead serrious.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
i will...when he's ready. the whole reason behind the taller fork is to put him back behind the bars a bit. we had his everygrowing skills on stairs in mind and didn't want him over the front wheel when he's flying down a big 15 set. i'd hate for him to grab a handful of front brake which would require him to take his grip from the bar to reach for the lever and then might assist him in going OTB. he's doing fine with the learning curve from coaster to hand brake, i don't want to put too much on him just yet.

however, i'd love to throw a disc in the rear. it would allow me to bring his brake lever even closer to the grip and still maintain excellent stopping power.
too bad they don't make those adapters for a 20". i'll have to figure something out :think:

R

richcreek

That is good to know. you might want to check out some yard sales and stuf an pick up a kids bike with leveres on it for dirt cheap, the rest of the bike doesnt have to work but if its a kis bike the levers should be smaller for a kids hand.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
i already have a kids lever on it. i have it drawn in so close to the h-bar that the "quick release" function of v-brakes doesn't work. i have a few millimeters of clearance on the rim from the pads. they stop well but there's not much room for error. he's just really small for his age, something like the 25% on the growth chart. my middle daughter finally made it ONTO the chart last month :D

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
richcreek said:
oh, the lever just looks SOOO big!
oh sorry, the lever i have on it now is a kids lever from one of his older bikes that i parted out. it's MUCH smaller than the one in that pic. i need to take some updated pics as i've changed out the stem/hbars to lower it a bit and bring it closer.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
blue said:
I totally PMed you about this and then forgot that my PM box was full. Silly blue.
"Heya, how tall is the little manimal? Just wondering, as my little brother's birthday is coming up (4"3'), and your current setup for your son interests me (His 16" BMX bike has been beaten to the curb)..."

i just measured him at 3'6" so your lil bro would fit perfect on a bike like that.