Quantcast

Lil' Manimal's going to be stoked!!!!

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
i can officially say that i have the coolest LBS ever! Mikedsx, shop manager, found a sick specialized hotrock frame on the closeout site thingy for $20. ordered it under the assumption that it was a 16" frame, like the site said....it came in as a 20". it's still a little too big for him to ride big stuff but he'll grow into it soon and the 16" is almost too small.

so..anyway, mike sends me an email and says that he has it mostly built up with random parts that were laying around the shop.

so far:
light bb/cranks
cane creek headset
easton ea30 bars
stem
rear 20" wheel w/ 8spd
sram trigger shifter pod
MANITOU SX front fork

the fork will probably chop it out a bit, which may help him for the type of riding he does....we'll have to see how it all fits when we get a front wheel. the standover may be a bit high until he grows a few more inches, but at the rate he grew this year, it won't take long.

mike did something to the fork with switching and cutting springs, it is soooooooo plush. i can compress it with my finger, so it'll be perfect since noah only weighs 35lbs. and to think, 3" of super plush travel for him is like riding a 888 for me :thumb:
i think mike said it's weighing in around 10lbs now, so maybe 12 when finished?
pics:

all we need now is a chainring, brakes and grips! i think i'll give it to him in april for his b-day.

thanks mike!!! you are my hero...not in a firefighter/rescuer sense, more like he-man or papa smurf :D

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
Woah! Can't wait to see him on that ride! He's gonna be killing it with some spension up front. That's awesome

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
Sweet! Nice birthday present!!! :cool:
I might have some parts I can give you, or atleast for cheap! I have a crank set with 22-32 and racefash bash guard?

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
That fork doesnt even have a real spring in it, just the assist spring. i think Mike also took out the bottom out resister elastomer thing, to make it even plusher. Its like a little kid DH fork now...

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^
thast so awesome

free ride machine for a kid, hell love it, cant wait to see him riding it

god hes gonna b better than al of us in a coupla years....

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
formermtboarder said:
thast so awesome

free ride machine for a kid, hell love it, cant wait to see him riding it

god hes gonna b better than al of us in a coupla years....
I bet he can already spell better than you.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
that is SCHWEEEEETTTT!!! I love it!!! props to the LBS... I cant wait to see pics of it all done and lil manimal rip'n it up!!!

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
I remember when I got my Specialized shockrock about 12 years ago. I was sooo pumped (8 years old at the time). That thing had the SRT duotrack on it with -40 mm of travel. The fork would get stuck all the way down and not move unless you held the front wheel and lifted up. I thought it was the greatest bike ever made, I kinda wish I still had it.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
MMcG said:
Should be really cool

Front disc wheel I'm guessing? Will it be a 20" front wheel to match the rear?
no front brake yet, dont think he needs one for now

but yes, it will be a 20" up front, i was thinking it would be cool to put a 16" in the back to help with the standover issue, but then we'd have to go with a coaster brake.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Sick. I am not looking forward to getting owned by a little kid in a couple of years when he really starts tearing things up:) Props once again for being the coolest dad ever.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
GumbaFish said:
Props once again for being the coolest dad ever.

thanks....but i'm just lucky to be able to combine riding time w/ father/son time and then play bike frankenstein and write it off as a family affair. it's all in how it's delivered to the wife ;) i'm really lucky to have a wife that doesn't throw a fit over our father/son riding adventures and doesn't cringe too bad when he has a nasty spill. i'm sure all the men on here would do the same with their kids if they took to riding like noah did. i'd probably never get to ride if it wasn't for him wanting to go with me. it was always tough, before i could take him w/ me, when i'd leave to go ride and he'd be standing at the door crying.
now i'm just waiting for my daughters to start riding...or at least pick up a shovel and build some jumps for us :devil: ;)

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
manimal said:
now i'm just waiting for my daughters to start riding...or at least pick up a shovel and build some jumps for us :devil: ;)
My daughter loves running around the LBS where I work PT... everytime we walk in she runs right to the one spot we have the kids bikes and picks a new one to hang all over... she is only 19months but I can tell it wont be long before she will be pedaling around on something:devil:

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
dirtjumpP.1 said:
I bet he can already spell better than you.
Give him a break, he used to be a mountain boarder. Making fun of a mountain boarder for not being able to write is like making fun of someone with no legs for not being able to walk... just completely uncalled for...