Quantcast

Limitations???

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
When do you DIY, when do you call for help?

My 2000 Mazda MPV's warning light came on for the battery. Appears the alternator needs to be replaced. Mind you, it's the original, and I have reached 380k miles with it.

I call my mechanic, and he gives me the low down. As I trust this guy for the past 20 years, I appreciate his input. Then, like a stupid flashback of life, I recall replacing an alternator on an earlier car of mine. Can I do it again? With youtube's help and watching a couple of videos, I come to the conclusion......... NO WAY WOULD I DO THAT!!! Too many nuts/bolts/nuances for me to try.

I really need to get off my stubborn ass and do some new car shopping.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
2000 Mazda MPV
Did a quick search. I mean, I'd probably do that job if if it was my car, but If you're not super comfortable, you might really be opening a can of worms. It's 21 years old and you've put 380K on it? You've certainly gotten your moneys worth, but if the alternator is all that's wrong with it, have your guy swap it out and drive it till the wheels fall off.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i don't know why but this reminded me of the time i had to replace the starter solenoid on my tacoma in the plattekill parking lot. the most amazing aspect of it is that i was able to find the part I needed in the middle of the catskills on a sunday morning.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i want a MK1 MK2 or MK3 vw again just for fucking simplicity....

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
i don't know why but this reminded me of the time i had to replace the starter solenoid on my tacoma in the plattekill parking lot. the most amazing aspect of it is that i was able to find the part I needed in the middle of the catskills on a sunday morning.
Or when I was on vacation and replaced my coolant hose in the Subaru parking lot and bled my coolant system right there after going to autozone.

if you know your vehicle and it’s not too complicated, sure. But the flip side is something like those Audi/VW abominations where you have to take the entire front end of the car off to access the starter, alt, belts, etc. they made huge compromises to mount the engine in front of the front axle.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Depends on whether or not I have the time to mess with it.

If I had another vehicle available, you would most certainly find me DIY'ing it. If that was my primary mode of transportation, and just getting it done was the main motivation, I'd have someone else do it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Or when I was on vacation and replaced my coolant hose in the Subaru parking lot and bled my coolant system right there after going to autozone.

if you know your vehicle and it’s not too complicated, sure. But the flip side is something like those Audi/VW abominations where you have to take the entire front end of the car off to access the starter, alt, belts, etc. they made huge compromises to mount the engine in front of the front axle.
it was a dirt parking lot and black fly season.