Quantcast

Lingerie used with former significant others... Fair game, or taboo?

Lingerie from previous relationships: weird, or not?

• I'm a guy. It's weird.

Votes: 10 24.4%
  • I'm a girl. It's weird.

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • I'm a guy and lingerie is ALWAYS good.

Votes: 23 56.1%
  • I'm a girl and I've got no problem with it.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • What's "lingerie"?

Votes: 4 9.8%

• Total voters

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Got a random question for you monkeys. My girlfriend was talking to her friend about a piece of lingerie that she wanted back from someone's house. It was something that she had bought for herself when she was with a previous boyfriend, and her friend's reaction was, "What? You're not going to wear it, are you?"

Her friend basically thought it was weird and gross that she actually wanted this thing back. I mean, I couldn't care less about this particular item, but I didn't get it: why should it matter that it was worn in a previous relationship? It's a piece of clothing. No different than than underwear or pajamas... We all have our past. If you take it to this step, would you take it a step further? Sheets? The whole bed? All underwear? Let's all just date 15 year old virgins who haven't been out with a guy yet, eh?

In general, is this a weird thing for people? Would you be disturbed by it? Why? The idea of a previous romantic relationship? Afraid she might be thinking of the ex?

I know, weird question, I was just curious if I was the only one who wasn't put off by the idea and thought it'd be entertaining to see the responses. I'd be interested to see what the different genders think, here, are more girls than guys put off by it? Post your thoughts!

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
If a former significant other bought lingerie for me............no, I would not wear it with current significant other.

If I bought it because I like it.......it's fair game. It's mine. I like it. I feel good wearing it. If a former significant other has it at his house, I'm not going to retrieve it.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
i agree with mudgrrl on this one. i've only ever had one piece of lingerie and it was a gift from and ex. i chunked it as soon as we broke up.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
It's weird.

Lingerie is not like any other piece of clothing....it's a piece of clothing used when she was banging another guy and is meant to be used intimately. Do you want images of that popping into your head when you see her in it? Lingerie is not the same as blue jeans or a t-shirt.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I Are Baboon said:
Lingerie is not like any other piece of clothing....it's a piece of clothing used when she was banging another guy and is meant to be used intimately. Do you want images of that popping into your head when you see her in it?
Actually, I specifically said underwear and PJ's because, frankly, she was probably using those while "banging another guy" too.

MudGrrl said:
If a former significant other bought lingerie for me
I definitly understand if it was a gift from an ex, wanting to chuck it.

Lefty said:
I totally agree with Mudgrrl and IAB.
MudGrrl and IAB did not say the same thing... :think:

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
binary visions said:
Actually, I specifically said underwear and PJ's because, frankly, she was probably using those while "banging another guy" too.
Well the way I see it, PJ's are meant to be slept in and are a lot more "functional" than lingerie. Lingerie is made with intimacy in mind.

But whatever...my opinion really isn't that strong one way or the other. :) I'm just saying if wifey busted out a piece of lingerie from a previous relationship, I'd be a bit skeeved (sp?).

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
lets see, so I meet someone, and we hook up, and one night she puts on some sexy lingerie,

1)I could ask if an exboyfriend bought it, or if she wore it before and then banged someone else, and if the answer to either was yes, to tell her I'm going home and she needs to throw that lingerie away

or

2) I could smile, tell her how hot she is and then have a lot of fun.

umm......I think I'll go with # 2 :D

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Westy said:
Every thread I open this morning makes me want to vomit.
Hm.

Frankly, if you feel that strongly about posts on the intarweb, you may have some kind of disorder that you should discuss with a psychiatrist.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
binary visions said:
Hm.

Frankly, if you feel that strongly about posts on the intarweb, you may have some kind of disorder that you should discuss with a psychiatrist.
Nah, the first post of the morning was the broken jaw thread. Not a good way to start the day.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Westy said:
Nah, the first post of the morning was the broken jaw thread. Not a good way to start the day.
Ahh... But a theoretical discussion on underwear: this also triggers your gag reflex?

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Should the same arguements here apply to sex toys used in previous relationships? :think:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
binary visions said:
Ahh... But a theoretical discussion on underwear: this also triggers your gag reflex?

The broken jaw thread linked to another broken jaw thread where Burlyshirly kept reffering to transvestites. Then I read a thread with dudes talking about lingerie, not a good combination. With my stomach still queasy fromt the broken jaw video I wanted to puke once again.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Westy said:
The broken jaw thread linked to another broken jaw thread where Burlyshirly kept reffering to transvestites. Then I read a thread with dudes talking about lingerie, not a good combination. With my stomach still queasy fromt the broken jaw video I wanted to puke once again.
That "new" jaw video is quite the stomach churner. :dead:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
DVNT said:
Should the same arguements here apply to sex toys used in previous relationships? :think:
No, that's a whole other can of worms... That's a little more personal than something worn on the body...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I Are Baboon said:
It's weird.

Lingerie is not like any other piece of clothing....it's a piece of clothing used when she was banging another guy and is meant to be used intimately. Do you want images of that popping into your head when you see her in it? Lingerie is not the same as blue jeans or a t-shirt.
Huh.. you said "Banging"

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
fuzzynutz said:
there could be "stains" on it.
Attention all women: You need to replace all of your skivvies every time you enter into a new relationship. :rolleyes:

B.V. - if you and your girl are cool with the ling, and she looks hot in it, then I'd say you guys are on really solid ground relationship-wise. :thumb:

BTW: This thread is useless without pics.

-S.S.-

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
laura said:
i agree with mudgrrl on this one. i've only ever had one piece of lingerie and it was a gift from and ex. i chunked it as soon as we broke up.
Yuck....me too! I wouldn't wear something that an old flame bought for me with a current flame.

Lingerie is uncomfortable.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
So, you girls who answered (and agreed with MudGrrl) - if the main piece that you find repugnant is if your old S.O. was the one who gave it to you, do you also agree that you'd have no issue whatsoever wearing it if you bought it for yourself?

SkaredShtls said:
BTW: This thread is useless without pics.
No soup for you! All mine :D

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Snacks said:
I would have no issues with wearing it if I purchased it myself.
So the issue is with the gift idea, not the actual clothing.. Would you wear jewelery given to you by ex-boyfriends?

BTW, I want to know who checked off, "What's lingerie?" Click!

Megan Black

I rocked whistler in a mini skirt and f$@* me boot
Jul 28, 2004
Beaver-town, OR
haha, this is a funny poll :)

here's my 2 cents:

i'm w/ i are baboon in that lingerie is NOT like any other piece of clothing. i wouldn't buy lingerie for myself because i find it uncomfortable, it's just not active wear, baby. i mean, some girls find cotton/silk thongs comfortable but that's usually the extent and for those items, i'd consider them "daily wear" and i wouldn't get rid of them just cause i switched boyfriends. but c'mon, corsets and leather schnit are jes not functional if you're going on a xc ride after work. if i'm buying or receiving lingerie, it is strickly for the dude so no, i would not wear it with a dude that it was not intended for

and about your jewerly question, depending on the kind of jewerly, i don't think you can compare. lingerie is sex related, jewerly is not

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Megan Black said:
if i'm receiving lingerie, it is strickly for the dude so no, i would not wear it with a dude that it was not intended for
So does that mean if I buy you something, you will come to FL and make Biggins jealous? :cool: :love: :cool:

Megan Black

Jul 28, 2004
Beaver-town, OR
so, BV, what was this particular item your gf wanted back from her ex?

i do think that's a little odd, how important are one pair of painties that are worth stirring the pot w/ the ex??

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Megan Black said:
i do think that's a little odd, how important are one pair of painties that are worth stirring the pot w/ the ex??

No doubt! Although for some odd reason I have 1 section of a drawer that has left over ex GF, slutty 1 night stand girl stuff in it. Bra's, thongs, a pair of earings, some chic's glasses (she called for WEEKS!) and a bunch of scrunchies... :think: :help: :help: :think: I just kinda pick them up with gloves or something and throw them in there. Eventually I am going to have to throw them out...

or

List them on E-Bay! :thumb:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Megan Black said:
so, BV, what was this particular item your gf wanted back from her ex?

It's a little more complicated than that.

The quick rundown is: she remained friends with the ex for a long time after they broke up. She has a bunch of stuff at his house, including some fairly valuable school textbooks and such, that she hasn't bothered getting back since she's still remained friends with him.

Now, she's dating someone (almost a year and a half later), he's all freaked out and won't talk to her, and he wants her stuff out of his house, so a mutual friend (who the phone conversation was with) was given a list of the stuff he had to retrieve it. The lingerie was just one of the things (it's a little short silk .. err, babydoll? Is that what they're called? Like a nightgown only super short with little straps) that she listed off that he had. That's where the conversation commenced.

Incidentally, I'd suggest that jewelery is more personal than the lingerie, and has many more implications of the romantic side of the relationship which I could see as being more uncomfortable than just underwear.

Megan Black

Jul 28, 2004
Beaver-town, OR
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
No doubt! Although for some odd reason I have 1 section of a drawer that has left over ex GF, slutty 1 night stand girl stuff in it. Bra's, thongs, a pair of earings, some chic's glasses (she called for WEEKS!) and a bunch of scrunchies... :think: :help: :help: :think: I just kinda pick them up with gloves or something and throw them in there. Eventually I am going to have to throw them out...

or

List them on E-Bay! :thumb:
see, that's what i'm sayin'! let the ex have his little "drawer". don't deny the dude something to remember you by!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Oh, and neither her nor I truly care about this particular article of clothing, we just thought it'd make an interesting discussion point (she's been following the thread all day :) )

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
binary visions said:
So the issue is with the gift idea, not the actual clothing.. Would you wear jewelery given to you by ex-boyfriends?

BTW, I want to know who checked off, "What's lingerie?" Click!
I took the diamond out of my wedding ring and made it into a pendant. I would wear it all the time (just never took it off), because I liked it, not for any sentimental reasons. Come to find out my current b/f kinda doesn't like me wearing it.

So, no I don’t have a problem wearing old jewelry, if I liked it….but most men wouldn’t buy me any, if they really knew me