Quantcast

Linked images display in editor but not in post

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
So when I insert an linked image from my website, it shows up in the editor but not when I post the thread or post. I checked the permissions of the image files on my server, and they should be totally fine. These images are hosted on a Siteground server, so there shouldn't be an issue with linking directly to them from some other server or website. I've linked the image below, it should be showing up as a broken image:

Here's the URL of the image, you should be able to load this in an incognito or any other browser window:
Code:
https://www.evanchute.design/images/skiing/2021-12-31-peter-estin/peter-estin-nye-2021_03.jpg
And here's a screenshot of the image displaying in the post editor:
Screen Shot 2022-01-03 at 10.43.11 AM.png

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
there is a place in Wheatridge that makes "Brookies" basically choc chip cookie / brownie hybrid masterpieces.

what is this thread about now?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'm doing a little sniffing around, I think this might be due to Let's Encrypt's recent root CA expiration. I dug up an SSL validation error in the logs but looking at the actual cert being served up, it's fine.

cURL error 60: SSL certificate problem: certificate has expired

Let's Encrypt's root CA expiration didn't go as they expected; some libraries were still chaining up to the expired root certificate authority, even though another valid root existed.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to the back end servers to actually fix this. I will have to see if anyone on the AMI team cares enough to look at it. I can turn off image proxying and it will fix this particular issue, but I turned proxying on in the first place to fix another (more prevalent) issue with Chrome.

I'm doing a little sniffing around, I think this might be due to Let's Encrypt's recent root CA expiration. I dug up an SSL validation error in the logs but looking at the actual cert being served up, it's fine.

Let's Encrypt's root CA expiration didn't go as they expected; some libraries were still chaining up to the expired root certificate authority, even though another valid root existed.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to the back end servers to actually fix this. I will have to see if anyone on the AMI team cares enough to look at it. I can turn off image proxying and it will fix this particular issue, but I turned proxying on in the first place to fix another (more prevalent) issue with Chrome.
Write a script to turn it off and on once a minute.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
there is a place in Wheatridge that makes "Brookies" basically choc chip cookie / brownie hybrid masterpieces.

what is this thread about now?
You sure they're not Crownies? Or Crookies?

Thanks for looking into it!

Write a script to turn it off and on once a minute.
SMRT.

I've already implemented additional functionality that will attempt to download every image that @Full Trucker posts, ten times per second, until the error stops occurring.

I feel that this will resolve the error most effectively with the fewest side-effects.
Oh shit, even SMRTERER!

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I've already implemented additional functionality that will attempt to download every image that @Full Trucker posts, ten times per second, until the error stops occurring.

I feel that this will resolve the error most effectively with the fewest side-effects.
Would just banning him not be easier on the backend systems?