Quantcast

linking computers...

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
so I bought a laptop recently and was wondering how hard is it to set up remote access? Is it something I can accomplish myslef or something that's best left to the pro's..oh BTW my computer skills are about the same as a 10 year old :D

I would like to able to access pics and files from my desktop while on my laptop...D

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Easy, unless you have a router in your network somewhere. If so, you may need to open up some ports, which is something we can walk you through.

oiswego

Monkey
Oct 24, 2005
New Yawk
gotomypc is WAAAAAY overpriced.
is it still upwards of $300 a month per seat?

you should take a look at http://ultravnc.com/
i've used this extensively over the years, both corporate and personal and i've even contributed to the linux port ( a small part, but it is what it is ).

and i'm surprised no one mentioned the m$ solution : remote desktop connection! it works well enough and is ported to osx as well.

oiswego

Monkey
Oct 24, 2005
New Yawk
ah yes---right you are.

saw the part about "remote access" before the need to only access files. still ultravnc rules!

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
ok well I have to turn my 'puter into the local tech guy so he can clean it up...it's really slow now days...once that's done then I will try what you have suggested BV...D

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
gotomypc is WAAAAAY overpriced.
is it still upwards of $300 a month per seat?

you should take a look at http://ultravnc.com/
i've used this extensively over the years, both corporate and personal and i've even contributed to the linux port ( a small part, but it is what it is ).

and i'm surprised no one mentioned the m$ solution : remote desktop connection! it works well enough and is ported to osx as well.
Oh God no...AND, if BMX man sends me his email vi PM he can use it for free for 45 days......I pay 30/month