Quantcast

Linux Heads?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Are any of you versed in Linux?

Perhaps specifically in the configuration/administration of an NFS and LDAP server on separate machines (on CentOS)?

I am about to go ape and put my foot through my monitor trying to solve this assignment for school....

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
yep.

our dev & test envs are centOS, but i just dick around w/ websphere (6.1 & 7.0), configuring federated repositories, key/trust stores, data caching, configure app deployments, & manage the ldap for a small number of users (using softerra). if you have admin type questions, this thread will remain a little thin.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Surprisingly, it went pretty well. I was having problems logging into a client machine that used the LDAP server for authentication. Part of the reason was some goofy SSSD stuff on the client machine (Fedora 19) and a bonehead mistake on my part; I wasn't creating the user's home directories correctly. I had a major brainfart on how the user's home directories were being created and mounted using NFS. For some idiot reason, I wrote a script to create user's home directories on the NFS server instead of just mounting the specified "home" directory to the LDAP server and letting it do it's work. This was completely goofing up the permissions and not copying the /etc/skel contents to the home directory.

But it worked in the end...

Now I'm working on integrating a Linux machine running OpenLDAP and Linux clients with a Window's machine running Active Directory. From what my group has read, it should be easy in theory...

Yep I wrote too much.

Last edited: