Quantcast

lip to gap ratio?

musicman

Chimp
Jul 18, 2004
so is there a decent like ratio? cus at our newish trails we got gaps from like 10-13 feet long and lips like 2-3 feet high. we want more upward trow, so like a steeper lip , but when we steepen the lips its like hitting a wall( were on 26ERS)there is to much steep to fast. so do we need to make the lips higher , or longer. aor do we need to completly rework the whole jump ?

sorry if this is a stupid question i did a serch and didnt see too much.
any help is apreciated

cj

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
hmmm, I've built a lot of jumps, and I don't think there is any right answer to your question. It depends on how much speed you can get to clear the gap. you can easily clear a 10-13 foot gap with a 2-3 foot tall lip. Here's my suggestion. if you want to get tossed high so you can learn tricks, shorten the gaps to 6-8 feet, and build the lips (and landings) 4-5 feet tall. If you shape the lips correctly you won't need a lot of speed. Keep the landings as tall, if not taller then the take offs especially if its your first jump in a rythem, or pack. build the lips steep with a smooth even transition, with the 8-12 inches being nearly vert.

If you go bigger, you may want to mellow out the lips a little.

Hope this helps

musicman

Chimp
Jul 18, 2004
thanks thats kinda what i was thinking cus if we build the langing and lip higher it would shorten the gap a few feet, with the dirt wed have to use. so thanks for the advice,

Huckermatt

Chimp
Sep 14, 2003
South Lake, WA
I have learned one important lesson from building jumps....the progression factor is very fast and if you build jumps closer together you will out grow them very easily. We built some jumps that we thought were pretty big, about 8-12 foot gaps. We started barley making them, then all of a sudden we were overclearing them and having to move the landings back ( a lot of work). I would say build your takeoffs at least the length of the bike and your landings just past where you think they should be ( unlees you have a lot of people to move landings), the more BMX style the better!

musicman

Chimp
Jul 18, 2004
cool thanks for the advice. went out today and made the lips higher and way steeper, built up the landings, and made em longer
it should be good once it dries up enough to jump

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
Building the lip steeper sometimes makes the jump worse if it is less than 5 feet tall. THat's why I need to use my mom's excavator!

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
As a matter of fact there is kind of a crude ratio. For every foot high the lip is tall you will obtain that in height from the lip (example 5ft lip= 10 ft above ground level) For every foot the jump is long you will go that far times two (example jump 10ft = 20ft traveled. I have used it for years and it seems to work quite well.

In a nutshell... If you have a 20 ft gap to clear your lip should be about 5ft high x 10ft long. Then shape the lip so you hit the landing every time.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
scurban said:
hmmm, I've built a lot of jumps, and I don't think there is any right answer to your question. It depends on how much speed you can get to clear the gap. you can easily clear a 10-13 foot gap with a 2-3 foot tall lip. Here's my suggestion. if you want to get tossed high so you can learn tricks, shorten the gaps to 6-8 feet, and build the lips (and landings) 4-5 feet tall. If you shape the lips correctly you won't need a lot of speed. Keep the landings as tall, if not taller then the take offs especially if its your first jump in a rythem, or pack. build the lips steep with a smooth even transition, with the 8-12 inches being nearly vert.

If you go bigger, you may want to mellow out the lips a little.

Hope this helps
damn thats some good advice!

the only thing i can add is, if your trying to build up your sets and need dirt, dig out between the landing and next lip to make the jump steeper, and deeper. it really works with doubles in rythem sections

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
dhtahoe said:
As a matter of fact there is kind of a crude ratio. For every foot high the lip is tall you will obtain that in height from the lip (example 5ft lip= 10 ft above ground level)
I have to disagree with you about this. Your ratio really depends on rider skill. I am not at all good at dirt jumping and don't do it very often. I can tell you that I have never flown 5ft above the lip and I have jumped and cleared 6ft+ (tall) jumps before.

There is an explanation. I am not the most confidant jumping so I don't pop off the lip much and end up making up for it with speed. So I jump low and fast kinda racer style. But anyway, this part of the ratio doesn't really matter because musicman wanted to know the distance needed anyway, and 5ft tall by 10ft long by 20ft gap sounds like a nice jump dimension that would work well overall. I would just fly much lower then you would.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
there most certainly is a ratio that you could use. However, you need more than just the jump dimensions, you would also need to know the rider speed. I guess you could work the equation backwards if you didn't know the riders speed. Anyway, if anybody knows basic physics they should be able to come up with a simple formula. something like (rider speed) x (angle of lip at take off)(gravity) = (distance traveled). Of course this doesn't account for poping off the lip or sucking up the lip and jumping low, but it's an idea.

A friend of mine, who has taken many physics courses, runs some sort of rough calculation in his head when he hits a new jump. No joke he lands almost spot on everytime.

musicman

Chimp
Jul 18, 2004
thanks for all the advice
we put a less sreep kinda taller lip on the first jump feels alot better but i can overshoot the langing now if i go to fast, the second lip is now about 3-4 feet high w/ a pretty steep lip but it feels allright the gaps on both are about 12-13 feet now altho the second jump could be upsised alot cus the landing isnt completly done yet.

musicman

Chimp
Jul 18, 2004
someone tore down our second lip to like 2 feet and either stole or really hid one of our shovels. ugg

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
musicman said:
so is there a decent like ratio? cus at our newish trails we got gaps from like 10-13 feet long and lips like 2-3 feet high. we want more upward trow, so like a steeper lip , but when we steepen the lips its like hitting a wall( were on 26ERS)there is to much steep to fast. so do we need to make the lips higher , or longer. aor do we need to completly rework the whole jump ?

sorry if this is a stupid question i did a serch and didnt see too much.
any help is apreciated

cj

The ratio is exactly 3:7.6520

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
I would not shorten your gaps at all, sure you can learn to jump short and steep jumps but they still suck and you wont be able to ride anywhere else. Do what dhtahoe said. If your lips are hitting too rough, its because of their shape, so work on getting your curves nice and smooth and it shouldnt be a problem. IMO having 5 ft lips with 6-8 ft gaps is stupid and just begging for disaster. With a hair too much speed you will be doing lawn darts, and most of the jump will be wasted because you have to go so slow to keep it on the landing. Good luck!

musicman

Chimp
Jul 18, 2004
goin to fix it toomorow, and our gaps ou like 12-14 feet and our lips our(will be once fixed) about 3nahalf feey high