Quantcast

Listen up all you Ashville and surrounding biotches! BigMike is here!

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
So I'm on a family vacation at the Inn at Mill Creek. I brought my trail bike, and want to do some riding. Anyone around this week, or can suggest somewhere to go? There is this bike trail dealio right here on the property, I'm not sure about anything.

It's very secluded and dark here, and there appears to be nothing to do. HELP!

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
You are very close to one of the best trails in Western NC, Kitzuma. It's a classic Pisgah National Forrest ride with plenty of climbing and descending.

http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-states-trails/trails-north-carolina/trail/PRD_169514_4567crx.aspx

The trail head is just off the Highway at the Ridgecrest exit.

The climb from the parking lot has a ton of challenging switch backs and the DH section is fast, tight and long. There is a long climb out from the campground on a gated old paved road back to the car.

I wish I could met you there but I have a doctor appointment tomorrow.

mtbman1127

Monkey
Mar 10, 2008
Raleigh, NC
I live over in Cullowhee, but if you wanted to hit up some brevard riding i might be down, Avery Creek, Farlow Gap, Caney Bottoms, all good trails but all have some good climbs...

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
I'll be here all week, I'm not going anywhere. I don't know if my legs and lungs are ready for "real" mountain biking!
As you have probably noticed by now there is only up and down, and not much flat where you are.

Kitzuma is an awesome trail but the climb out can be a bit confusing and it's best to ride with someone who is familiar with it.

However you could hike up the first climb and turn around once at the top just to get a taste of it.

To get to the parking lot drive west on 40 from Old Fort. When you cross the Continental Divide look to your right, the trail is right at the edge of the woods.

Take the Ridgecrest exit just past the Continental Divide and turn right. The highway will now be on your right. Stay on this road and it will end at the parking lot of the trail head.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I live over in Cullowhee, but if you wanted to hit up some brevard riding i might be down, Avery Creek, Farlow Gap, Caney Bottoms, all good trails but all have some good climbs...
I have no idea what you are talking about, but it sounds like there is a lot of riding.

I am OK with up and down, I just don't like holding other people up with my suuuuper slow climbing skillz.

mtbman1127

Monkey
Mar 10, 2008
Raleigh, NC
I have no idea what you are talking about, but it sounds like there is a lot of riding.

I am OK with up and down, I just don't like holding other people up with my suuuuper slow climbing skillz.
I ride an enduro and just granny up most things so i am not too terribly quick up and i don't mind waiting too much...i dont think my legs will work for monday but the rest of the week i'm free if you wanted to meet up somewhere.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I can probably get out tomorrow if you want to do the Kitsuma loop. Or we can meet over at Bent Creek and do Greenslick - OR - we can go to Coleman Boundary and have an even more insane time. I should be free in the afternoon tomorrow.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Well, anything sounds good to me. I have no idea where I am. I was going to go explore on the bike on the roads in and out of here, but my wife went hiking today on them and said it's just a big paved trail that goes down the mountain, and then i'd have to pedal back up. That does not sound interesting to me. If it were at least single track or something! I'd like to be able to just ride from here. Oh well.

Tomorrow, I think they have plans to go to the Biltmore, is that place even worth going to? Sounds kind of.... boring.

I'd PM you my phone number, but it doesn't work up here.... Let me talk to the family type people and see what the plan is for tomorrow, and I'll get back to yas.

And PS, I am REALLY slow when it comes to pedaling uphill ;)

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
The Biltmore Estate is DEFINITELY worth checking out. My wife works over there so I've been a bunch. It's a crazy place.

I'll bet anything the paved road that your wife hiked is the way we normally climb back up from Kitsuma.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Well, looks like I'm out for tomorrow. we're going to the Biltmore, and hopefully taking a Segway tour (!)

Jen hiked down some railroad tracks, and then came out on the paved road that hooks into the gravel road the inn is on. I have no idea what any of those roads are called, but the paved one goes downhill from where I am, and is gated by the park service on both sides.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I just looked at directions to the Inn on their site, and you are at Kitzuma.

http://www.innonmillcreek.com/directions.htm

The gated road is the same road that is part of the whole loop.
Cool. Is there a GPS track of Kitzuma somewhere on the 'net so I can kind of get my bearings? Maybe I will hit it up on Wednesday, or, depending on when we get back tomorrow, tomorrow evening.

Are there any planned rides on that trail any time this week?

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
I don't know about the GPS.

The trail itself is pretty self explanatory once you get on it because there aren't any intersections. I get a little " fuzzy " about the way back up though.

Maybe someone on here who is better at directions can help out.

Any of the LBS in Black Mountain or Asheville can give you better directions and info on possible group rides.

A lot of climbing, but well worth it.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Well, today I rode up from the inn, down the paved road, stopped at the flagpost, and then rode back up to the in, stopping at the geyser.

What a stupid thing that was to do. 5 miles straight up, 5 straight down. Paved and gravel.

At least it got the wheels spinning...

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Well, today I rode up from the inn, down the paved road, stopped at the flagpost, and then rode back up to the in, stopping at the geyser.

What a stupid thing that was to do. 5 miles straight up, 5 straight down. Paved and gravel.

At least it got the wheels spinning...
The paved road is the climb back up from Kitsuma. Instead of going down the paved road, you could have gone about a mile further at the top and been on killer single track DH. :eek:

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I was also with my sister, and she would not ride something like that. I was going to ride Kitzuma today, but there was a lot of rain last night. I plan on doing it tomorrow. Today was Chimney rock, and I am exhausted. Definately riding g the trail tomorrow though. Anyone want to go?

Last edited:

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Well, I'm going to head out to ride. I'm going to drop my wife off to do the hike, then drop my truck off at the bottom, and then ride up from the Inn. If anyone is out there riding, and you see a girl hiking, that's my wife Jen. If you see a guy on a Gary Fisher Cake 2 Deluxe, that's me. We'll probably be rolling out of here in about 30 minutes.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Well, that trail pretty much rocked!

We dropped my truck at the bottom, dropped Jen off at the top of the trail, and then I went and got ready to ride. I probably gave her about a 45 minute head start, plus however long it took me to pedal up the gravel road and then down the paved road. In retrospect, I probably should have started at the paved road, or even at the trail head. Whatever the case, timing was almost perfect, I ran into the wifey right before the big righthand berm, whoopty thingy. We chatted for a minute, and then I kept going, and only had to wait about 15 minutes for her to get to the picnic area.

Overall, I'd give the trail about a 7.5 or an 8. The only reason is the switchback climb. you are all a bunch of damn liars by the way, that initial climb was grueling. I don't think if I were even in great shape I could have climbed that. I cheated, and hike-a-biked it straight up the middle for most of it. When I got very close to the top, I was actually pedaling, and I heard click, click, SNAP! Then my feet started going really fast, and I wasn't going anywhere. So I hiked it up to the top area and put my chain back together. That gave Jen even longer to get ahead. By this time, we had cell phone reception, so we could communicate. (As a side note, I'm SUPER glad I bought the extra expensive Crank Bros. multi tool that has the chain breaker on it!)

Once I got everything fixed and got on my way again, the trail jumped up to about a 9-9.5. It was SUPER fast, and extremely fun. There were some pretty treacherous parts, it probably would have been a good idea to have a buddy, just in case. The 180* switchbacks were a little startling, I almost ran right off the side of the mountain at the first one. The next few still caught me off guard, but I was prepared for them to be coming.

Overall, it was a great ride. It's defiantly up in the top few trails I've ever ridden. The only thing I wish I could have changed was my brakes. I've got BB7's on my trail bike with pretty old pads in them, and I just didn't feel like I could truly let go and enjoy and still be able to brake slow down enough if something were to come up, or a switchback came up on me. I've been meaning to put the Juicy 7's from a bike I'm selling on there, too bad I didn't before this trip.

I only almost died a few times, a couple of trees came out of nowhere, and the ridge got prettttty close a few times. I ended up doing about 9 miles, and my top speed was around 24mph.

Thanks for the recommendation of the trail, it would have been better to ride with someone, but it was still a great experience. The wife said it was an amazing hike as well.

j2d013

Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
G' Vegas,SC
Yeah I rode up there a few weeks back with a large group nad LOved every minute of it. It is some of the best single track around and the jumps at the bottom were also fun to play. I will go back for sure, true Pisgah!!!!!!!!!!!

you are all a bunch of damn liars by the way, that initial climb was grueling.
I know your kidding, but let me explain. It's not so much we are liars about the initial climb as it is the climb from the picnic area at the bottom of the singletrack back up the mountain sucks and really sticks out in comparison afterwards in your mind. I love that trail, but my sadistic friend (angrymetalsmith) doesn't consider it a true ride unless someone see's Jesus or satan during it - so we never dare I say, "shuttle it".

Glad you enjoyed the trail. Were you the guy that used to have the hamburgler strapped to your DH rig at Snowshoe a couple years ago???

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Well, when I finished the trail, I had totally forgotten about the initial climb. I was just too stoked on the rest of it. I originally said lets shuttle it so that my wife wouldn't have to hike all the way back up the road to the Inn, but I must say, I am pretty glad we did, because I don't know if I would have made it all the way back to the Inn, plus, it left me on a good note, not remembering the climb out.

And yes, that's me. I still have the Hamburgaler on one bike, and my old clown on the other.