Quantcast

Little Bald Mountain

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
10,189
0
in a bear cave
11 mile trail with over 3000 feet of descent. Access to shuttle a go, everything looked good for Snacks comeback ride. Then she gives me a call first thing ride day morning and informs me the Chinook Pass is closed because of a rock slide from construction. oops! Well considering it was raining almost everywhere in Western Washington, we stayed on plan to ride over to the other side of the mountains. Just drove around to Yakima, and even though it was more mileage, 70mph speed limits made the time come out nearly a wash to regular route.

Snacks back on the trail!:) Great to see you back healed from that broken arm and i'm glad i was able to take you on at least one sweet high country ride before the snow season gobbles up all the prime trails for the winter.



Here's Ethan and Trailhacker riding down a benched singletrack cut out of the side of the mountain. Temperature a brisk 34 degrees near the top at 5700 feet where we dropped in at.



Heading down towards the granite rock field with the peak of the mountain looming above.



Riding the rock field, the snow helped us out a tad, definately a fun rock garden and tricky to clear.

Trailhacker



Mutoli



Mutoli's husband Ethan "What the hell?" Mutoli



Snacks and Trailhacker again, enjoying the snowy goodness. It's such a blast to ride on snow, it should be illegal.



Gettin out of the snow and onto the cliffs, group shot.



The Mutolis on the lava cliffs above the Bumping River Valley.





And in case i forget to mention, this trail is so fun to rip at ludicrous speeds.



Since it's close to halloween we accidentally decided to take a wrong turn and ride thru a bat cave.:evil: That was definately an interesting side adventure considering we only had the flash from my camera for light.:p



i was a little worried at first taking out the girl pals out on a ride when one is recovering from a broken arm and the other has a bun in the oven. But then i realized that's what husbands and boyfreinds are there for haha. Everybody had a great ride, the trail was prime, and good times rolled.

 

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
3,523
0
GO! SEAHAWKS!
splat said:
Coll Pics as usual!

at what altitude was the Snow line ?we had a litltle snow here Yesterday , but it all melted.
I think we were pretty high up, around 4,500 (?)

The best part was having a HUGE buck prancing about 100 feet from us. I dig nature:thumb:
 

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
3,523
0
GO! SEAHAWKS!
TreeSaw said:
Awesome pics as usual...and no need to worry, pregnant chicks can definitely still ride a bike ;)
Oh Joy can still rip it up for sure, but climbing makes her want to hurl. We just made sure we weren't down wind from her:p
 

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
10,189
0
in a bear cave
TreeSaw said:
no need to worry, pregnant chicks can definitely still ride a bike ;)
i've been putting off buying new tires for the Bikeymobile for a few months now. When it got established that i was carpoolin the Mutoli's over for the ride, i went and got new ones haha. i'm glad i did too, the rain at the pass during the night on the way back was pretty miserable. With the new tires my Subie was super stable. Man i really like my car for that reason.
But i did neglect to mention all the rocks on the lower section near the cliffs that can shake your toof fillings loose when riding a Superlight like she was.... oops haha. Poor peanut all shook up haha.:D

splat said:
at what altitude was the Snow line ?we had a litltle snow here Yesterday , but it all melted.
Snow line was hovering around the 5000 foot mark. Weather is getting cooler it won't be long now before the upper section of that trail is covered in many feet of snow for the winter. Just like so many others..... sniff sniff.
But here in the lowlands of the state we rarely see any snow and rarer still is any accumulation that lasts for longer than a day or two.
 

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
673
0
Redwood City
Great pics as always Skookum. I really want to take a road trip to your neck of the woods and join one of your group rides. That looks like an incredible ride.
 

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
10,189
0
in a bear cave
Joe Pozer said:
Great pics as always Skookum. I really want to take a road trip to your neck of the woods and join one of your group rides. That looks like an incredible ride.
Sounds like a plan to me, i'm curious if there are any great riding spots near Mt. Shasta? i really love that area, i had a freind who's grandparents lived near some hot springs a ways from there, and i've camped a few times at Crescent Lake years back....
 

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
1,064
0
PNW
Skookum said:
But i did neglect to mention all the rocks on the lower section near the cliffs that can shake your toof fillings loose when riding a Superlight like she was.... oops haha. Poor peanut all shook up haha.:D
Yeah, I must say the rock sections were pretty darn bumpy on the superlight...I tried not to let it slow me down and did manage to stay on Skooks tail most of the ride!!:) The hills were making me pretty sick though! Good thing I didn't leave any treasures on the trail for Snacks and Trailhacker to ride through!:blah:
 

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
1,057
1
Paradise
Skookum said:
Sounds like a plan to me, i'm curious if there are any great riding spots near Mt. Shasta? i really love that area, i had a freind who's grandparents lived near some hot springs a ways from there, and i've camped a few times at Crescent Lake years back....
on the mountain itself? There is some of the sickest DH in the notrth part of california. I've ridden some pretty fun stuff around the lake too, so It kinda depends
 

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
10,189
0
in a bear cave
MUTOLI said:
Yeah, I must say the rock sections were pretty darn bumpy on the superlight...I tried not to let it slow me down and did manage to stay on Skooks tail most of the ride!!:)
i just gotta say that i remember the day when i was teaching you how to adjust your seat, and now you're keeping me in sight while you're pregnant riding a Superlight and i'm on a Bulllit. i'd be ashamed if for not knowing you could probably outride half the guys on this board.:dancing: :thumb:

T-Pirate said:
This picture is awesome.
Sweet trails, Long, rugged trail rides are the best.
Thanks, yah when it all comes down to it, there are many avenues for good times. But just out riding and having fun, man i dig on it.

chicodude said:
on the mountain itself? There is some of the sickest DH in the notrth part of california. I've ridden some pretty fun stuff around the lake too, so It kinda depends
Sounds good, i think in a few years i'd like to make a few week run at Cali and i'd like to make Shasta a stop regardless of the biking there, but if there's prime riding well then......
 

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
16,689
472
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Snacks said:
Oh Joy can still rip it up for sure, but climbing makes her want to hurl. We just made sure we weren't down wind from her:p
LOL! I am SO glad I haven't had any hurling issues. It's refreshing to see other pregnant chicks out there enjoying the trails!