Quantcast

Little issue with my Mobo and Case

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
This is the case I bought and the LCD screen connects to a Parallel Port on a MoBo
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16811117064

This is the MoBo I bought,
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813138081
and it doesn't have a parallel port but it does have a printer port on the mother board.

The thing is the vague instructions that came with the case don't mention how to connect the wires (the wires aren't really labled) to the board instead of an actual parallel off the back of the board. Any suggestions on how to do this?
I know I can buy a PCI parallel port card but I would like to use that as a last resort.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Hm. My guess is that it plugs straight into a USB header on the motherboard. That's sure what it looks like anyway.

In this picture it looks like your USB headers are orange and off to the right (immediately to the left of the PCI Express x16 label). See if you can plug the wire from your LCD into one of them:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
When I first read this thread, I thought you were trying to plug an LCD monitor into a motherboard without a video card...anyway, from one of the reviews:

"The instructions for setting up the LCD display are very poor and some of the wires you need to connect are not even in the instructions. The drivers do not come with LCD display or remote. I had to try 3 or 4 different drivers from different sites to get it to work.

Other Thoughts: The program (FrontView) that runs the LCD Display is not free you have to pay around $30 dollars for it. "

Upon reading other reviews of it, sounds like you bought a piece of ****. Congratulations!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I don't think any LCD is "easy" to set up.

I'm just concerned with the connection to the MOBO.

BV. I already have the 2 USB ports on the MOBO taken up by USB ports.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Then you're SOL :p

You need both headers? I assume you're using one header for the ports on the front, what are you using the second one for?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
You can do whatever you have plugs for. If you've got the little half-header plugs, you can plug two of them in. If you've got plugs that use the full header, obviously you can't.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
You can do whatever you have plugs for. If you've got the little half-header plugs, you can plug two of them in. If you've got plugs that use the full header, obviously you can't.
Cool, I've got individual plugs for each wire.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Woah woah woah...

That whole mess of plugs that comes out of the front panel? Those aren't USB plugs. There will probably be ONE USB plug in the set for front panel USB jacks, and maybe one more for the front LCD panel. Everything else in the bundle is for the power switch, internal speaker and hard drive activity lights as well as connectors for the front firewire and front audio.

There are three little sets of double pronged plugs on the motherboard. The ones with a solid orange background are for USB. The multicolored one (north of the USB plugs) is for the power switch, internal speaker & HDD lights.

Sorry if you knew this, I've never seen USB plugs come individually wired, doesn't make much sense to do so.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Woah woah woah...

That whole mess of plugs that comes out of the front panel? Those aren't USB plugs. There will probably be ONE USB plug in the set for front panel USB jacks, and maybe one more for the front LCD panel. Everything else in the bundle is for the power switch, internal speaker and hard drive activity lights as well as connectors for the front firewire and front audio.

There are three little sets of double pronged plugs on the motherboard. The ones with a solid orange background are for USB. The multicolored one (north of the USB plugs) is for the power switch, internal speaker & HDD lights.

Sorry if you knew this, I've never seen USB plugs come individually wired, doesn't make much sense to do so.
I agree so I looked and looked and looked and they are individual wires. Even the connection to the back of the Parallel port is individual and there is about 20 individual wires.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Something isn't right there. Are you sure there aren't alternate headers to plug that device into? Can you take a picture of it so I can see it better?