Quantcast

Little kids and BMX racing

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Some of my friends at work took their kids to the local track for the first time, and their kids loved it. Since they know I'm in to all kinds of bikes, they started asking me questions about what's a decent bike and where to get gear for their kids.

I know there are blingin brands out there like intense that make sweet kids bmx bikes, but that seems like a lot of $$ to throw down for a 5 year old kid who is just starting out in the sport. What are some good, solid but not as pricey brands that make a little kids bmx bike? I'm guessing 5 year olds would be rocking those mini cruisers, but those wheels seem sort of big for a kid that small.

I was also thinking that a used bike would probably work just as good, since the kid would out grow it pretty quickly, but have no idea where to look for used bmx bikes. Are there any forums similar to ridemonkey but with more of a bmx racing crowd?

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
I say you pay a visit to the track. Race days at my local track have people selling tons of bikes. Your cooworker should spend the $$ and sell it for a tad less when the kid outgrows it. Minimal loss and maximum fun! That or craigslist.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
i got noah's redline mini used for $150 and it works perfect for him. i'd probably spend more $$ on it if we did more than just a few races a season. it's just cross-training for us.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
My 5 year old is on a Redline mini.... they're real common, so you can usually find one used. They are pretty light too.