Quantcast

little kids at adult movies - what's the deal?

grundy

Chimp
Oct 18, 2004
I noticed this in the Jarhead thread:
loco said:
What was horrible, about 30 minutes left, I heard 2 kids talking. I turned around to see someone brought some kids, like 5 and 7 to see it. Wow - this thing had graphic portrayals of everything that dictates an "R" rating, except drugs. I wanted to go all war-like on them for that.
I had the same experience this weekend. I went to see Lord of War, sit down, and realize that I'm sitting next to a kid that can't be more than four years old. A four year old kid sitting through a disturbing movie full of graphic sex,violence, and drug use. A good movie, by the way, but an intentionally disturbing movie about a disturbing subject.

Why would anybody in their right minds bring a child to these kinds of movies? It's just not right. And, on a related note, what's up with parents that are fine with their children watching scenes of graphic violence, but freak out if the kid sees a naked boobie on the big screen?

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
grundy said:
Why would anybody in their right minds bring a child to these kinds of movies? It's just not right. And, on a related note, what's up with parents that are fine with their children watching scenes of graphic violence, but freak out if the kid sees a naked boobie on the big screen?

easy answer
people are stupid

:nuts:

grundy

Chimp
Oct 18, 2004
luken8r said:
easy answer
people are stupid
I think selfish is the word you're looking for. I mean, people must know that this is no good for the kids, I assume that they just want to go see the movie so they drag the kid with them.

'course my family is no guilty too, when I was about 8 my dad took me and my sister to see El Norte (good choice there, pop) - there's a scene where a guy finds his fathers severed head hanging from a tree. that scene freaked my young **** out and haunted me for a long time. And, the kid I saw at Lord of War was even younger, and the movie heavier...

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
grundy said:
I think selfish is the word you're looking for. I mean, people must know that this is no good for the kids, I assume that they just want to go see the movie so they drag the kid with them.

'course my family is no guilty too, when I was about 8 my dad took me and my sister to see El Norte (good choice there, pop) - there's a scene where a guy finds his fathers severed head hanging from a tree. that scene freaked my young **** out and haunted me for a long time. And, the kid I saw at Lord of War was even younger, and the movie heavier...
scariest movie i got to see was pet cemetary. totally freaked me out. i remember going home and watching swiss family robinson afterwards i was so freaked out.

i went to see 'once upon a time in mexico' or whatever it was called a while back and there was a family with 3 little kids there. it was a horrible movie. not just because of crap acting and such, but because of ridiculous unnecessary violence. not appropriate for little ones.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
What sucks is when the kids have better movie theatre manners than their parents.

There have been times I was tempted to ask the kids to tell their parents to be quiet.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I spoke to my son last night an he told me that his mom (my ex-wife) took him to see it. I was pissed! He's 9!!! But she also lets him play video games I wouldn't even consider letting a 9 year old play.

I let her know I was unhappy, but I think she liked the fact it pissed me off more than that I cared. Guess that's why she's an ex, right?

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I think as long as a parent can explain to their kid that it is just a movie and not real, there shouldn't be a problem.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Tenchiro said:
I think as long as a parent can explain to their kid that it is just a movie and not real, there shouldn't be a problem.
what if it's a documentary? :D

seriously, would you bring an 8 y/o to see "Saving Private Ryan"?

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
narlus said:
what if it's a documentary? :D

seriously, would you bring an 8 y/o to see "Saving Private Ryan"?
Hell, I didn't even go see Saving Private Ryan... :dead:

It just depends on the kid and th movie, I know lots of kids that could handle pretty intense movies. I also know some that couldn't.

Parents know thier kids best.

grundy

Chimp
Oct 18, 2004
Tenchiro said:
It just depends on the kid and th movie, I know lots of kids that could handle pretty intense movies. I also know some that couldn't.
I dunno, letting a kid watch some woman get hacked to death by machete weilding soldiers, but then tell them it's ok, it's just a movie? Doesn't sound good to me, whether they can handle it or not

Tenchiro said:
Parents know thier kids best.
but unfortunately often don't act in their kid's best interests.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
luken8r said:
easy answer
people are stupid

:nuts:
And irresponsible. I've never seen the movie, but I'm sure it's like "Full Metal Jacket," which could really give a 4 year old some serious nightmares.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I am a big Thomas Harris fan, so I went to see Hannibal at 5pm showing. This entire family, kids ranging from 3 to 10, came into the theatre.

The movie wasn't that bloody, but I wanted to go up and talk to the father about what kind of movie this is.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
SkaredShtles said:
:stupid:

We went with some friends to see Return of the King when it came out and the people next to us had a friggin' TWO year old with them. :nuts:
Did they glue hair to its feet so it looked like a hobbit? That would have been cool.:think:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Westy said:
Did they glue hair to its feet so it looked like a hobbit? That would have been cool.:think:
No - but the little kid kept talking and basically making a nuisance of himself - which just about sent my buddy over the edge, because the father was obviously not interested in keeping the kid under control. :mad:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I have to say I was dumb enough to take my 14 year old to see South Park The Movie thinking we watch the show together and it would be ok. It wasn't and I learned a tough lesson that day.

My wife and I pre-screen movies now before we take our daughter, or wait until we can see it at home. Turning it off is easy, leaving can be a disaster.

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
SkaredShtles said:
No - but the little kid kept talking and basically making a nuisance of himself - which just about sent my buddy over the edge, because the father was obviously not interested in keeping the kid under control. :mad:
When I went to go see War of the Worlds, there was a kid probibly around 10 sitting behind me giving the whole damned theater his opinion on what was going to happen next. :mad:

J

JRB

SkaredShtles said:
I left Lord of the Rings because of a grown man doing that. I nearly killed him, followed by the manager that didn't want to refund my money after he failed to shut said idiot up.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
People don't realize that kids aren't like cellphones they're not something you can take anywhere and just turn off, beside the fact that I have seen realy young kids in movies they probably shouldn't be seing (devil's rejects, lord of war and jar head to name some) they get scared or bord and start crying or talking and the parents need to remove the kid from the theater not just ignore it because they're used to it, or better yet not bring 'em in the first place

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
SkaredShtles said:
i get people like that removed from theatres. especially now that movies are frickin 100 bucks a ticket.
i mind my own business, until that choice is taken away from me. if you are talking loud enough that i can hear you, then i can't mind my own business anymore.
really i just only go to see movies during the matinee in the middle of the week. more often that not, i'm the only person there.

Peteydag

Monkey
Sep 19, 2004
the FC
selfish is the main word here, no movie is good enough to sacrifice your kid's well being, wait til it comes out on DVD and just watch it, not kid should have to go through anything like that just for their parents enjoyment.

J

JRB

Some stupid selfish bitch had her screaming 3 year old and crying infant. Two solid hours. She walked out with 5 minutes of a 2 1/2 hour movie left. She came in to get her stuff and now knows exactly how I feel about her and her parenting. :mumble: Dumb whore.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
dwaugh said:
I was amazed to see kids watching the last Star Wars. That movie was pretty dark, if you know what I mean.
I agree, it was a dark stain on the actor's resumes.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
My parents let me watch ANYTHING from the time I was a little kid. Some of it really freaked me out (like the movie Alien when I was 9 years old) but most of it was ok.

I monitor what my kid watches pretty carefully because I think movies today are way more over the top than when I was a kid. For instance I don't think she would do well with "Saw".

:think:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
H8R said:
I agree, it was a dark stain on the actor's resumes.
Yeah, that movie sucked ass almost as much as Ocean's Twelve. Those are the 2 worst movies I've ever seen.