Quantcast

Little Monkeys

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Any advice regarding saddle height and pedaling?

My big one just learned to ride a pedal bike this weekend. She's awesome at it, but her saddle is low so she can scoot and brake. When she's pedaling, there's like zero leg extension, so it's hard for her to climb hills. Better to leave it low or raise it and re-train scooting/braking?

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA

My big one just learned to ride a pedal bike this weekend. She's awesome at it, but her saddle is low so she can scoot and brake. When she's pedaling, there's like zero leg extension, so it's hard for her to climb hills. Better to leave it low or raise it and re-train scooting/braking?
We put it a little higher, but where Lucas could comfortably put a foot down. Not enough for a slouchy double footed slide-to-stop, but he could put one down and feel in control. Does that make sense?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

raise it till you find the sweet spot. go incrementally, maybe 1/2" at a time.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
my dude is getting better and more comfortable on his balance bike. sunday he rode it down the driveway coasting with his feet up the whole way! he looked terrified but loved it. he sort of fell at the end when i grabbed him to stop him, which he started to kinda cry at, but then i picked him up and hugged him and he was cool.

last night he rode it all the way down to the end of the street. he's close to coasting on it.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
much like her father, my big one enjoys riding downhill on her bike now. Which is currently terrifying for me, but she loves pedaling up and coasting down over and over again.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I need to get some action shots. Lil Man has been trying to ride the "big boy bike" last few visits after I swapped the seat out for the race seat (more clearance). He is still having a little trouble with the steering/pedaling/balancing all at the same time. Then he gets freaked and pulls a fist full of brake.

He gets freaked out on the downhill on the big boy bike, but he FLIES downhill on the Strider.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

He's not quite pedaling under power yet, but he has the balance/steering/pedal motion all working together. He is also really good with the hand brake so I am really glad he will not have to deal with a coaster brake. It's only taken 6 months to get to this point. :rofl:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
IMG_4157.JPG

My little boy now at 18 & my wife with her cheesy grin. Just finished his last year of high school football. Now sending out college applications :thumb: Time files cherish each & every moment!

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...

He's not quite pedaling under power yet, but he has the balance/steering/pedal motion all working together. He is also really good with the hand brake so I am really glad he will not have to deal with a coaster brake. It's only taken 6 months to get to this point. :rofl:
Insert Vette joke here...

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Our youngest (17 months) wants to ride like the rest of the family...he loves this thing. Looks like big sis (3.5) is going to have to make the jump to a pedal bike this summer since the boy has taken her bike away.
IMG_5651.jpg

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I found this while I was looking for something else in my Youtube videos. It's from when Haley was about 4 and her laugh is hilarious.