Quantcast

Little upgrade.........

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Upgraded last night.

Finally nutted up, and dropped teh cash to get a proper setup, instead of running cheapies that kinda work, or something that works great but its fragile ETC ETC

Yeah I know, the cable isnt trimmed yet, I forgot to grab some cable end when I left the shop last night, I will grab some today and trim it up. SHould be going for a ride later anyways!!!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
FYI...dripping a few drops of Super Glue on the end of the cable works just as good. Tried it out of desperation one day last month. Still smooth, clean and unfrayed. Probably won't work every time...but hey. Martha Stewart rules. :rockout:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I think you'll love it, dude. Mine has been a great addition to the bike, especially compared to some older SRAM models I had.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Good luck. I had two Saint derailleurs literally rattle themselves to pieces. The first one lasted a month. Shimano warrantied it (!) and I was super careful to check everything regularly on the new one, to the point where I would check it several times a day on a bikepark day, but still, I barely got two months out of it. Back to 105 for me, and I'll probably jump ship to Sram soon.

Oh, and even if they don't fall apart, they still make a god awful racket.

Seriously Shimano.

1) Take SLX derailleur
2) Offer in short cage
3) Profit

It's that damn simple.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Good luck. I had two Saint derailleurs literally rattle themselves to pieces. The first one lasted a month. Shimano warrantied it (!) and I was super careful to check everything regularly on the new one, to the point where I would check it several times a day on a bikepark day, but still, I barely got two months out of it. Back to 105 for me, and I'll probably jump ship to Sram soon.

Seriously Shimano.

1) Take SLX derailleur
2) Offer in short cage
3) Profit

It's that damn simple.
Did you have the older style???? cause this thing is actually scary quiet. My hone was god awfull loud, As in it made my bike louder than a DHSMONO.

Ive don the solder trick before, I actually prefer it, just all my solder supplies are at the other job in my tool box. I just went to the LBS were I live and gave them a quarter for some ends

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
I think you'll love it, dude. Mine has been a great addition to the bike, especially compared to some older SRAM models I had.
I absolutly love how good and precise my sram's were. What I hated was how fragile they were.

Here is my list for the year

four x9's
three x7's
one 105
one hone.
<I like hi speed rock sections>

The hone just died from the up keep, you can only take it aprt and reassemble it soo many times before it dies.... good thing it was ten bucks eh.

I alreday love the saint, havent even gone on a real ride yet, it sits up unerneath the damn cassette, the axle sticks out further than the derailluer, when I shift it, its very defenite, just dropping/jumping off the curbs in front of teh house its amazingly no noise or chain slap whatsoever......

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Did you have the older style???? cause this thing is actually scary quiet. My hone was god awfull loud, As in it made my bike louder than a DHSMONO.
Nope, the new one, exactly as in your picture. Loctite EVERYTHING. And keep an eye on the large allen bolt that holds the cage to the parallelogram. Both of mine ultimately failed here after developing a ton of slop at all the other pivots.

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
thats weird, i have had my saint all year, i ride it pretty hard. took it apart last week and there was not one spec of dirt in the ceramic bushing. all bolts were tight. i love it. although i will admit the shifter took a while to get used to compared to my old x.9 i still preferred the x.9 seems more crisp. my saint shifter got stuck once, and wouldn't go all the way up until i forced it, fairly hard!

i also put one on my hard tail but it hasn't seen much abuse yet.

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008

Seriously Shimano.

1) Take SLX derailleur
2) Offer in short cage
3) Profit

It's that damn simple.
WTF - i thought i was the only one. Put it on in May, and by the beginning of June it was almost toast, and by the middle it was gone completely. The park didn't even open until what, the 19th?
FSR bike, right chain length, no worries from the GS XT that replaced it.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
You guys that are having problems...... your the first I have heard of it. I check my stuff pretty regularly, so I wont just find a random failure after its too late. Rode it today, its queit, shfited great, almost no chainslap.

I am also a stickler for torque wrenches, that goes alot further than just loctiting everything