Quantcast

'Live8' Stars got $12,000 Goodie Bags

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
"We want this to be a thank-you to the celebrities who are giving up their time and energies," explained Nicole Cashman, whose firm was tagged by organizers to put the pricey goodie bags together."

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I cant blame the stars... the sponsors just want to get their name out there on them. I feel the sponsors should have done more to help the cause. it would have been worse if the stars were paid as well.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
To be clear, "this is not a fundraiser, it is to raise awareness"... Oh, and it's not intended to force America into spending even more on Africa?!

Bono, Sir Bob, Sir Paul, etc. sit down and STFU. The 3 of ya have enough to finance the whole operation. Bust out.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I Are Baboon said:
I wanted to donate some RM stickers to the goodie bags, but the event organizers were not interested. Bastards.
That would have made a huge improvement to the Dalton Shwag you were disapointed with. :D

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Its crap. Total crap.

How easy would it have been to collect the goods for the bags and then either
a) auctioned them off on ebay with the proceeds going to shock of shocks, charity.
b) "charged" the stars for the bags at their value, and again shock of shocks given the proceeds to charity.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Collective thought of America as an effect of this Live 8 crap...

"Africa who?"

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
DRB said:
Its crap. Total crap.

a) auctioned them off on ebay with the proceeds going to shock of shocks, charity.
b) "charged" the stars for the bags at their value, and again shock of shocks given the proceeds to charity.
Thank you. Someone sees the light.

captainpolution

Turbo Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
DRB said:
Its crap. Total crap.

thats uhh, too much work

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Goodi bags....meh, whatever.

I heard some of the Pink Floyd set on the radio and it confirmed earlier suspicions. Waters is back and he still can't sing for sh*t.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Let me put some perspective on this:

I did the MS Ride in CA last year. As part of the deal with our "team," KPMG (the accounting firm) put together a goodie bag with team jerseys and shorts, amongst other things. True, they could've donated the money from the clothing to the MS Society, but they thought it was a great idea to give us the clothing as a way of saying, "hey, thanks for your support!"

I don't see what the big f'n deal is.

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
Exactly who is Bob Geldof? I keep hearing people say he is a rock star but I don't think, outside of Band-aid, I know who he is.

And please don't say he is the same guy from the Boomtown Rats. I hardly consider the band who sang "I don't like monday's" to be rock stars.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
stinkyboy said:
Are you a multimillionaire asking others for money?
So each performer, at their own request, should have the bags donated or auctioned to the charity of their choosing.

Keep in mind Live 8 was a big time commitment for those involved. To see someone performing out of the goodness of their heart would be a great thing to see, especially when many artists there do so, but for the lineup they wanted, it may have been asking too much. Look on the bright side, at least they did it, right? Or was that not good enough...

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
reflux said:
Look on the bright side, at least they did it, right? Or was that not good enough...
I thinks it's a fantastic idea to help others. I've gone hungry to buy someone else lunch and diapers for their kid, but if these "stars" are so commited to the cause, why don't they donate their "goodie bags" as well as the proceeds from their spike in album sales because of this "concert" and hell, maybe a house or two.

How hungry are they willing to be?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
reflux said:
So each performer, at their own request, should have the bags donated or auctioned to the charity of their choosing.

Keep in mind Live 8 was a big time commitment for those involved. To see someone performing out of the goodness of their heart would be a great thing to see, especially when many artists there do so, but for the lineup they wanted, it may have been asking too much. Look on the bright side, at least they did it, right? Or was that not good enough...
On moral grounds it would be lame for any of these artists to accept gifts for an event like this. Maybe a deli-tray and some beers back stage, but all these people could foot the bill to play these shows. The items should have been autographed and auctioned off.

reflux said:
Let me put some perspective on this:

I did the MS Ride in CA last year. As part of the deal with our "team," KPMG (the accounting firm) put together a goodie bag with team jerseys and shorts, amongst other things. True, they could've donated the money from the clothing to the MS Society, but they thought it was a great idea to give us the clothing as a way of saying, "hey, thanks for your support!"

I don't see what the big f'n deal is.

how did you get kpmg to give you all that stuff??

edit to add: I think this is a different situation... you wore those jerseys and people saw them and said "HEY, KPMG supports MS research! COOL!" Their "goodie" bags were given to them in private for the sole purpose of getting more performers to show up - whether they believe in the cause or not. It kind of diminishes the whole thing to me.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Echo said:
I don't see what the big deal is. Sponsors donated stuff.
Event organizers should had told sponsors/advertisers instead of 'donating' goodie bags full of merchandise to rock stars in an effort to get 'free advertising in the G8 countries to buy their crap, they needed to donate the retail cost value to the said goodies to the cause.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
N8 said:
Event organizers should had told sponsors/advertisers instead of 'donating' goodie bags full of merchandise to rock stars in an effort to get 'free advertising in the G8 countries to buy their crap, they needed to donate the retail cost value to the said goodies to the cause.
Right on N8! That's some very Liberal thought for you! :thumb:

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
N8 said:
In a perfect world...

But seriously, I'd be much happier if that had happened instead of the gucci suits and bs. I'm not pissed at what happened, but I certainly don't agree with the principle of it (as you guys have been nice enough to explain).

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
MtnBikerChk said:
how did you get kpmg to give you all that stuff??

edit to add: I think this is a different situation... you wore those jerseys and people saw them and said "HEY, KPMG supports MS research! COOL!" Their "goodie" bags were given to them in private for the sole purpose of getting more performers to show up - whether they believe in the cause or not. It kind of diminishes the whole thing to me.
But what's stopping me, a borderline MS participant, from doing the MS because I have the opportunity to get "free" stuff? The fact of the matter is that incentives bring people to a cause who otherwise wouldn't have supported it. I know my argument is seriously flawed, but bare with me.

A KPMG partner in the OC office has been involved in the Ride for years. Somewhere along the line she got the company's support behind it and helped the team grow into a 50+ group. You should see some of the other teams during the ride, namely Disney; the ride simply wouldn't be the same without their army of riders and volunt"ears". Unlike your ride though, this one is two days and 100 or 150 miles.

reflux said:
But what's stopping me, a borderline MS participant, from doing the MS because I have the opportunity to get "free" stuff? The fact of the matter is that incentives bring people to a cause who otherwise wouldn't have supported it. I know my argument is seriously flawed, but bare with me.

A KPMG partner in the OC office has been involved in the Ride for years. Somewhere along the line she got the company's support behind it and helped the team grow into a 50+ group. You should see some of the other teams during the ride, namely Disney; the ride simply wouldn't be the same without their army of riders and volunt"ears". Unlike your ride though, this one is two days and 100 or 150 miles.

we have that 150 miler in the fall. DAMN, I gotta get me a BIG sponsor ;)

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
MtnBikerChk said:
we have that 150 miler in the fall. DAMN, I gotta get me a BIG sponsor ;)
Funny thing about the jersey. I wore it during the Wildflower tri, located on the central coast in CA. Anyway, it was a short sprint, but I was feeling ill from the lakewater so I was lagging throughout the race. About halfway through the bike and halfway through the run, I had at least two people pass me and say something like, "what the hell! I've worked there two years and STILL don't have a jersey!" Hehe, it pays to not work there...

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
stinkyboy said:
I thinks it's a fantastic idea to help others. I've gone hungry to buy someone else lunch and diapers for their kid, but if these "stars" are so commited to the cause, why don't they donate their "goodie bags" as well as the proceeds from their spike in album sales because of this "concert" and hell, maybe a house or two.

How hungry are they willing to be?
:thumb:

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
H y p o c r i s y,
dum dum
Helping other people is not enough for me
dum dum
I'm just in it for the swag you see,
the starving just don't mean much to me,
H y p o c r i s y,
Came to me, when I got wealthy.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
This thread reminds me of the one where someone was bitching that Chris King donating $1 to breast cancer research for every pink component they sold wasn't enough. Great idea, bitch about it enough and maybe next time everyone will just decide to do nothing and save themselves the harrassment.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
It's nice the stars got something for their time, BUT, a $12,000 goodie bag is better than what a host at the Oscars gets(about 3K if I remember correctly). $12,000 * the number of performers (over a hundred I think) = over $12,000,000 . That's a lot of bags of flour. Meanwhile the stars bask in the limelight and the press coverage of what good people they are for helping out Africa.

You can judge for yourselves.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
It just occured to me, we need to find out who their corporate liason was and get them involbed in NORBA. One goody bag would make a hell of lot better prize than winners get now (handshake).