Quantcast

Living in Hawaii?

would you live in hawaii, given the opportunity to do so?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Toshi said:
how many of you fellow monkeys have lived in hawaii? which city or island? did it become hellish? too hot throughout the summer? do you recommend it as a place to live?

helpful note: being half japanese and tan i can almost visually pass for a "native", so i'm not worried about anti-white discrimination, if that indeed is an issue.

Lived on Oahu for seven years. Frankly, if I had a job there, Id move back today. I never got tired of it. I think one of the main reasons for that was that unlike the majority of my military contempararies I had a life off base. I was heavy into surfing, canoe racing, and hashing. Most of my friends were local.

Oahu, specificaly Honolulu is like San Jose with palm trees. By that I mean it is a cosmopolitan city with every convienance youd expect in a large city anywhere in the US. You can buy what you want, when you want it. But at the same time, I could show you parts of that Island where few humans have ever stood.......and the surf....somewhere on that Island the surf is good EVERY DAY. Weather....air - 78, water - 78, rain - 78 almost every day. IMO the easiest job in the world would be a TV weatherman in Hawaii. Highs in the upper 70's to low 80's, windward and mauka showers, and tradewinds at 5-15. That is the weather....every day.
Cost of living: I've lived in both places in both good and bad economic times. Everything except milk and eggs costs less in Honolulu than in the Bay Area.

That said, the outter islands are much less densly populated and much more remote feeling. Need a water pump for your car...order it and wait. Want to see a new release...wait, it wont be in the theatre for a few weeks etc etc.
Stuff is more expensive, and incomes are lower on the outter islands as well.

Any other questions, PM me.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
thanks for the reply, True. now i am starting to see why you (still) like to surf... :D

pigboy

in a galaxy far, far away
Toshi said:
how many of you fellow monkeys have lived in hawaii? which city or island? did it become hellish? too hot throughout the summer? do you recommend it as a place to live?

helpful note: being half japanese and tan i can almost visually pass for a "native", so i'm not worried about anti-white discrimination, if that indeed is an issue.
i live in Hawaii on the Big Island. It is great. It can get warm, especially at sea level. I live at 1300 feet of elevation and the weather ranges from 50's at night to 80-90 degrees on sunny days. We get 200-300 inches of rain per year so it is more common to have days in the 60-70's range. It is a great place to live if you want a slower pace of life and don't require the cultural hulla-balloo that exists in many mainland cities (NYC, SF, LA, Seattle, etc.).

any monkeys who come visit should contact me and I'll play tourguide. Or if you have more questions send me a message at pigboy AT vatican DOT com

-pigboy

ps. i'm white and have never encountered any overt racial bullsh*t. mostly the folks who live in Hawaii are sweet, laid-back folks.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
heh, nice email domain :thumb: . i'll definitely take you up on the tourguide offer should i make it out there any time soon, thanks