Quantcast

Living in Jackson Hole, WY.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Well I've decided to move up there next summer starting in Late May/ Early June untill Mid Sept. I am probley going to work two jobs, one being a flyfishing guide/working for Snow King/or the main mountain in Teton Village. At night I will hopfully work at a bar. I am planning to leave weekends for races and wondering what races are within 5 hours driving distance and what the riding is in and around Jackson Hole/Teton Village. I'm planning to rent an appartment for the time in Jackson Hole if affordable.

Any help would be super.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
ThePriceSeliger said:
I'm planning to rent an appartment for the time in Jackson Hole if affordable.
Unless you have six or seven room mates, I don't think it is going to be affordable.

nmjb

Monkey
Apr 26, 2005
Idyllwild, CA
ThePriceSeliger said:
I am planning to leave weekends for races and wondering what races are within 5 hours driving distance and what the riding is in and around Jackson Hole/Teton Village.

Any help would be super.
Big Sky Resort in Montana has some pretty good lift-accessed riding, we were just there last weekend. It's about 180 miles from Jackson Hole. They have a race each year, usually in August.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
ThePriceSeliger said:
At night I will hopfully work at a bar. I am planning to leave weekends for races and wondering what races are within 5 hours driving distance and what the riding is in and around Jackson Hole/Teton Village.
5 hours will get you to SLC-area races (Deer Valley, Sundance, Bountiful), and I think probably some Idaho DH races? Maybe MSC if you push it. I've heard there's TONS of riding in and around Jhole, but I've never been myself.

How are you gonna work in a bar? Aren't you like, 17?

And Jackson Hole isn't affordable...at all. Are there any off-season staff housing places you could find? I'm not sure where the underpaid service workers there live...I know for Park City they all commute from Salt Lake and Heber...

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
I'm guessing you are talking about living in the town of Jackson, not the resort of Jackson Hole.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
i'll be up in jackson, wyoming from may 14 through june 15 (2007) or so :)

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
the company i used to guide for is located there. what kind of flyfishing experience do you have? pm me i can get you i ntouch with them.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
I've been on alot of guided tours, and my mom used to be a guide in her days. I've been flyfishing for about 7-8 years. I can use a drift boat well.

I'll be 18, at that age im allowed to serve drinks.
I met a girl yesterday who works at the 4-Seasons and said she would be willing to split cost with me in Jackson.

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
Jackson is a cool place. I spent a week there very recently. An friend moved there on a whim after he graduated college and loves it.

I didn't find the riding to be anything too special, but I also didn't see lots of it. Be prepared to climb A LOT. The mountains are steep and there's no easy way to get up them. Lots of fast, flowy, tame but ripable singletrack. I rode one trail that a couple of the shops considered the be the extreme trail (some people use armor for it), but didn't find it to be anything to crazy. Steep in some sections, but well built and didn't have that how-the-hell-do-i-get-down-this feeling. I was riding my 6pack and it seems that short travel XC bikes or hardtails are better suited to the area, unless you're willing to travel a little bit or find the DH scene. Don't get me wrong, there's some 6-9 inch bikes there, but it's most and XC scene from what I saw.

There's a real cool shop there, Fitzgeralds, located right next to the brewery. Pop in for directions and trail suggestions. They also run a weekly trail building session.

My favorite thing about Jackson is the people. It's a community of people who love to do stuff outdoors. You'll see tons of bikes and kayaks on car roofs, lots of dogs, float tubes (everyone does beer floats on Flat Creek on hot days), people go camping all the time, etc. Further, in the winter, you can scope out backcountry lines you want to ski from the roads, then hike up and ski back down. Sure, there's Jackson Hole resort about 10 miles from downtown, and Snow King mountain is literally in downtown Jackson, but the backcountry stuff is better and less likely to be skied off.

I liked Jackson a lot and could see myself moving there for a couple years. I didn't find it to be exhorbitantly expensive, certainly no more so than the town I went to school in (Amherst, MA). It's not the cheapest place in the country, but it's certainly not LA or NYC.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
I tried out my new 5W this past Sunday, fishing tiny popping bugs plastic frog stylee- you know...rapid, random twitch-strip to immitate a fleeing frog. The big 'uns managed to evade me but I got two lesser largemouth before the light and heat drove 'em deep and I had to break out the ol' Stradic/Loomis spinning rod.

Do you all fish bronzebacks and largemouth, also, with your fly rods or are you vest-n-waders trout/salmon chasers?

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
I'm here right now sitting in a hotel fyi. The only fishing I've done was on the Snake for cutthroat. I was just on the mountain and it looks pretty tame. Skiing here looks like it would be amazing though.

I might consider Vail instead because I have a few friends there and the DH scene is just as large and the crowds are bigger. I'm going for tip money. I seem pretty hell-bent here. I called my lady friend here that I met and she is about to take me out and show me the real non-tourist life and show me some appartments I could rent for about 3 1/2 months.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
ThePriceSeliger said:
I'm here right now sitting in a hotel fyi. The only fishing I've done was on the Snake for cutthroat. I was just on the mountain and it looks pretty tame. Skiing here looks like it would be amazing though.

I might consider Vail instead because I have a few friends there and the DH scene is just as large and the crowds are bigger. I'm going for tip money. I seem pretty hell-bent here. I called my lady friend here that I met and she is about to take me out and show me the real non-tourist life and show me some appartments I could rent for about 3 1/2 months.
Dude. Vail sucks. If you're going to head to CO go to the Butte. :thumb: