Quantcast

living in knoxville

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
i know, i know... first it was charlotte, then raleigh ... now i'm looking at knoxville.

never thought to look into it, but i found a really good potential job down there and the more i think about it, knoxville seems like a really cool place to live. it hits most of my criteria:

- cheap
- good job market
- nice downtown
- relaxed pace of life
- friendly
- ELEVATION!

so knoxvillans, is there a good place online to find out more information about your fair city? what do you like about it? what do you dislike? i may have a job opportunity there as early as this summer. any info is appreciated.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
corey_dcstreet said:
i know, i know... first it was charlotte, then raleigh ... now i'm looking at knoxville.

never thought to look into it, but i found a really good potential job down there and the more i think about it, knoxville seems like a really cool place to live. it hits most of my criteria:

- cheap
- good job market
- nice downtown
- relaxed pace of life
- friendly
- ELEVATION!

so knoxvillans, is there a good place online to find out more information about your fair city? what do you like about it? what do you dislike? i may have a job opportunity there as early as this summer. any info is appreciated.
Great... the last thing we need is another person who likes to ride bikes.... :nopity:

Nah, just joking.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
what is your riding preference ?

number six on your list is appropriatley capitalized.

downtown is about 40min. away from the downhill capital of the south. windrock mt.

there's also an ever evolving mt. cross course with adjoining dirt jump trails at a place called bigfoot. about 20 min. or so from downtown.

haw ridge, concord park, i.c.king park and the norris watershed all provide x-c riding

road riding is everywhere on the outskirts of town to the north, east and south of town.(from your photo though, you don't have that "roadie" look.)

look up the BIKE ZOO for x-c and road rides and for d.h. contacts.

look up HARPERS bike shop for more dirt jump and d.h. info.

both are close to downtown.

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
dhbuilder said:
from your photo though, you don't have that "roadie" look.
dammit, you forget to shave the legs once and are excluded from that roadie club forever! :D

i do have a cx bike, but that's mostly for trailriding... the bullit & STP get most of the usage these days.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
looks like we have some fresh local meat for bigfoot and windrock.

welcome to town.

i would imagine harpers will be your choice of shops.(if you need one)

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
dhbuilder said:
what is your riding preference ?

number six on your list is appropriatley capitalized.

downtown is about 40min. away from the downhill capital of the south. windrock mt.

there's also an ever evolving mt. cross course with adjoining dirt jump trails at a place called bigfoot. about 20 min. or so from downtown.

haw ridge, concord park, i.c.king park and the norris watershed all provide x-c riding

road riding is everywhere on the outskirts of town to the north, east and south of town.(from your photo though, you don't have that "roadie" look.)

look up the BIKE ZOO for x-c and road rides and for d.h. contacts.

look up HARPERS bike shop for more dirt jump and d.h. info.

both are close to downtown.
Sums it up well. :love:

tgaines72

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Knoxville, TN
I just moved here for all the same reasons.
We got a great house in a great location for alot cheaper than it would be in any other city I've ever lived.
I haven't lived here for a riding season yet, but I have put in some good miles in the off season.
Good luck with the move, I think any rider would love this area.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
corey_dcstreet said:
1) DH & DJ
2) Street, Park

thanks for the trail/riding info, i knew there was a lot down there but had no idea how much variety!
it wouldn't hurt to come up and take a lengthy hike around windrock to get a good feel for the trails at a walking pace.
it'll be a huge advantage when you get ready to ride.

(that goes for the other locals who plan on riding here too. a lot of new trails with a "falling off the edge of the earth view in some areas" especially the new and bigger jumps.)

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
you might be right.

every time i look up darkhollow it freaks me smooth out.

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
WALK Windrock????
I didn't think that was possible.
Several times I have tried to walk down the trail to get my bike (which just threw me off) I get hurt worse then the original crash on the bike. I think the same thing, I can't walk this F'ing trail, but here I am riding my bike down it.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
corey_dcstreet said:
jeebus dave, have you lived everywhere i want to be??

I haven't lived that many places. Knoxville from 1972 to 1995, Chapel Hill, NC from 1995-2004 and now Annapolis MD. I guess maybe I pick good ones? I also spent a lot of time in Asheville while I was dating my wife. I guess I'd still call Knoxville home (or just west of Knoxville, on the plateau anyway) I hope to make it back there someday.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
knoxville is ok. i have been thinkin about relocating when i get done with school in a couple of years. I will be heading to chattanooga instead though if i do relocate. Driving around knoxville sucks big old donkey balls. always in a permanent state of construction and a ton of traffic.

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
DC is #3 on the "worst traffic" list, so i'm fairly sure that I have a different idea of 'bad' than y'all.. :D

according to the 'State of the Air Report' last year, DC ranks #11 in worst ozone vs Kville's #15, so that's a step up as well... hell, moving to pretty much any other US city would be a step up :help:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Come on guys. Knoxville's traffic does suck, but try living in San Antonio, Houston, Austin, Atlanta, etc. So on the larger picture, Knoxville's traffic isn't that bad. Avoid I-40 between West Hills and Papermill between 7:00am and 9:00am and 4:00pm to 6:00pm weekdays and you'll be fine.

Oh and BTW Biggins, I-40 through Asheville isn't a breeze either.

DC, I'd be estatic to have another DJer around. The building and maintaining of what few jumps we have is over-burdening. Bigfoot is a County park that the County totally suppurts. So I think you'd find a lot of opportunity to grow here. If you come down to visit, drop me a PM.

tgaines72

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Knoxville, TN
My 2 cents, I live in Kville Bearden neighborhood and from here I am close to everything and am always going the opposite direction of bad traffic. I can ride my bike to downtown in 15 minutes and drive to 4 different trailheads in at least 15 minutes; and 6 or so trailheads(including Windrock) in less than 30 minutes.
I have been happy being close enough to decent skiing, if you catch it on a good day. I've hit G-burg after a foot of snow from the weekend. Going up there on a week night has a different feel than the weekend. There is deffinatly a cool crowd during the week, and $15 lift tickets at night.
I am stoked to be here in Knoxville, but I left a very cool town to get here.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
as a long time resident of houston texas and southern california.
i gotta say, knoxvilles yuppie wannabes don't have any idea what snarled traffic really is.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
BKQuill said:
WALK Windrock????
I didn't think that was possible.
Several times I have tried to walk down the trail to get my bike (which just threw me off) I get hurt worse then the original crash on the bike. I think the same thing, I can't walk this F'ing trail, but here I am riding my bike down it.
Bryan, its ok it took you a long time to learn how to walk when you were a baby..... Next time just slide down on your butt. have you been out to the BMX track lately? I am thinking of going out there a few times a month if you want to go?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
FCLinder said:
Bryan, its ok it took you a long time to learn how to walk when you were a baby..... Next time just slide down on your butt. have you been out to the BMX track lately? I am thinking of going out there a few times a month if you want to go?
Hah hah...still can't believe we took you down Southern Rocks on your first day...

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
FCLinder said:

I need to start going out to the track again, but honestly, I have had no desire to mount the BMX bike. Sad really, after BMXing for almost 30 years, I do my first downhill run (March of '05) and haven't been on a BMX track since.

bizutch said:
Hah hah...still can't believe we took you down Southern Rocks on your first day...
I had no idea what y'all were getting me into, that was pretty crazy, but I hung in the there.... AH, GOOD TIMES....

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
BKQuill said:
I need to start going out to the track again, but honestly, I have had no desire to mount the BMX bike. Sad really, after BMXing for almost 30 years, I do my first downhill run (March of '05) and haven't been on a BMX track since.
you could take out "BMX" and insert "X-C", and i could make the very same statement.

the couple of times i've ridden x-c or the road since, i'm bored out of my skull.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
BKQuill said:

Bring out the 4x bike man. It helped me out a lot with sprinting. The 24" is just hanging around on the wall with an inch of dust on it.

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
If I had to up and move, Knoxville would be high on my list. Awesome riding, still south enough that the winter's not bad and a decent job market. Only 2-4 hours from more awesome riding and very central to the east coast BMX circuit.