Quantcast

Living in the City is great...

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Until some dillhole breaks into your garage and steals your roommate's brand new car. Brand new, delivered yesterday Ford Escape.

I was woken this morning by my roommates both looking slightly confused, "My car's gone. The garage door was open and my car is gone." Mind, this car was is brand new, delivered YESTERDAY! My guess is that someone followed her and just ran a scanner until the garage opened. They didn't take anything else, which I am very thankful for, because I have an Imperial, Yeti DJ, 4X, DH-9, and my XC bike in a room in the back of the garage.

We have tandem parking, so we leave the cars unlocked with a spare key so we can move the other car if we are blocked in. It looks like whoever stole the car rummaged through mine to see if I had left a key in the car. Thankfully, I took the spare out a few days ago.

I hope he flips it and dies in a fire.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Damn, that sucks!

I just got a PO box yesterday because a check that I was expecting showed up at the park down the street. The check must have come on Saturday while we were out of town. There was mail in the box when we got home on Sunday, so I guess they were picky.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
jimmydean said:
Damn, that sucks!

I just got a PO box yesterday because a check that I was expecting showed up at the park down the street. The check must have come on Saturday while we were out of town. There was mail in the box when we got home on Sunday, so I guess they were picky.
i have had stuff stolen out of my po box. i was expecting some burton replacement boot parts and someone ripped open the package and stole it out. your mail is safer at a po box... but not totally safe.

but some stolen boot parts really pale in comparison to a stolen car.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I always get the names of the Ford SUV's mixed up.
As for the keys in the car, we have a locked garage where the cars are parked tandem. We usually leave the key for the other driver if we are in back. Also, it was a brand new car (see four days old), my roommate did not know about the valet key. She has the other two keys.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Never EVER leave the keyes in the car. Locked garage or not. If there are only two of you then you should each have each others keys ON YOUR KEYRING.

I hope everything gets worked out quickly and with little hassle for you.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
apparently not.
*new info:* she said she locked the car and that she has both sets of keys.
Given that this is a brand new car, I'm guessing it was targeted by someone with access to important info (ie key pad #).

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The Joker said:
I always get the names of the Ford SUV's mixed up.
As for the keys in the car, we have a locked garage where the cars are parked tandem. We usually leave the key for the other driver if we are in back. Also, it was a brand new car (see four days old), my roommate did not know about the valet key. She has the other two keys.
Sorry about the theft. The Excursion is one of the mega-suv's...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
robdamanii said:
It's not an SUV, it's a small bus. I hate the damn things.
Yeah, that's why I didn't want to say anything if someone's Excursion was stolen...