Quantcast

Living in Whistler?

mtnluvn

Monkey
May 14, 2005
Squamish/Whistler
Hey all. Just found out I have an opportunity to transfer/relocate to Whistler, but before I even consider it I need to know what the housing situation is like out there. There is a *free* dual mountain pass included in the deal (oh yeah!) but I know when I lived in Banff and looked into moving out there the rent prices were unbelievable and vacancy was pretty much nonexistant. Is it still pretty much the same deal? Any feedback from those of you already living there would be appreciated. Thanks!

mtnluvn

Monkey
May 14, 2005
Squamish/Whistler
FatalExposure said:
I never thought Whistler was that outrageous price wise. Look here for some long term rentals.

Pique
Thanks for the link. You're right, those rents aren't that out of line. I would never be able to afford my own place, but one or two roomates wouldn't be that bad:) I think I may seriously be considering this...

mtnluvn

Monkey
May 14, 2005
Squamish/Whistler
odiwik said:
How did you get an opportunity like this?
I work for a very large multinational corporation that is spreading across the world like a virus... and they like to hire from within when they can... Lucky for me;)

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Vacancy = WAY up
Prices = Way down

keep in mind. the longer the lease the cheaper the rent. Also some place have flux rent. They charge 400$ in the summer and 1000$ in the winter. So be careful.

Its an easy town to live in. There are three distinct scenes

1 - party
2 - locals who party
3 - locals who are here for the terrain and life

Usually those correspond indirectly to how long you have lived here :) What corporation is coming here now?

"most people move here for the snow....the summer is why people stay"

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I was actually surprised about the prices of houses and rent. They are about the same in the area I live. Whistler would be a great place to live. I think I would rather live in Pemberton though.

mtnluvn

Monkey
May 14, 2005
Squamish/Whistler
I was really surprised too when I looked at the link. When I was in Banff I had heard stories of 12 people living in a 3 bedroom just to make it affordable, and when I was out there (granted that was a while ago now:() some friends of friends were paying about 1600 for a 2 bedroom. The thing is, I've lived like that and that is part of the reason I'm a bit hesitant on this - I don't want to end up in that situation again despite a free pass:) If I was 21 I wouldn't even be thinking about it, it would be a done deal. But I'm over the party scene (other than beers at the pub - obviously!) and just want to ride and hike and climb. I would definitely fit in the category 3 with a bit of 2 thrown in for good measure;) But it's encouraging that the rents are a little more affordable than I thought.

Roasted, can I PM you with some more specific questions?

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Shoot I will help with what I can. I will tell you this. 1st year expect to pay more. Get contacts and things start to fall together.

If you drive pemberton is an option to be sure :)..

PM me, I will give you any information I can :)

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
wow, those prices are nice. i never would have expected that area to be that reasonable. i wonder if the Olympics will be changing that shortly?

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
For sure. Prices will spike. A lot of landlords who rent out short term rentals capitalize on spikes in economy. They would rather leave their property empty and charge a small forture for 5 months a year rather than charge a reasonable amount full time. Thats whistlers biggest rental problem.

Check that classifieds...end of november. Should be a signifigant difference :)

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
4bdrm, furn family hme on quiet street. Close to school, valley trail, village. Avail 1Oct. $2800/mo+utils. marianrod@telus.net

1bdrm in sm hse, sgl only, n/s, n/p, incl cable internet connection, furn. $870/mo+electricity. Email teledragon@hotmail.com, lve ph#

Shared rm avail in lrg hse close to village, everything incl, cable, tv, ph, internet, backyard. $350/mo. 604-902-2091

Thats what I am used to seeing. Thats insane pricing. Wow looking in there looks my area is freaking expensive. Sheesh.

Some of the really cheap ones are as far away from town as pemberton. So keep that in mind when looking :)

littleg

Chimp
Feb 24, 2005
Some unscrupulous landlords will gouge and charge an exorbitant amount for a tiny little space. And then jack the rent up for the winter season. If you're willing to sign a long term lease (i.e. a year), your odds are better finding a reasonable rent for the long-haul.

Pemberton is definitely an option (it's 32km north of Whistler village). A lot of people work in Whistler and live in Pemberton as it's more affordable. That said, it also a quieter scene than Whistler. If you're into partying, then Whistler is the place to be.

Squamish is also an option but it's a little further (40 minutes south of Whistler). Not sure if you have a car or not but at this point, there is no public transportation between Pemberton/Squamish & Whistler. Although hitch-hiking is very common.

When looking for a place (regardless of where it is), grill the landlords. Ask lots of questions. Get to see photos if you can. I'm assuming you're looking for a place long distance and will end up taking something sight unseen. A nice, clean, larger-than-a-closet one bedroom suite will run you around $900/month (and SHOULD NOT go up in the winter. That irks me to no end). Some places will try to pass off a full kitchen as something with a hot plate. Ask lots of questions.

Good luck and hope you love it out here as much as I do.

mtnluvn

Monkey
May 14, 2005
Squamish/Whistler
Those are some great pointers, thanks. I'm hoping to NOT have to find a place to live from long distance. I have a good friend in Vancouver that knows Whistler really well (lived there a while back and still spends a lot of time there, knows some people that are still there etc.) and I'm planning on going out to visit him maybe first or second weekend of October. He warned me about a lot of the same things that you mentioned too. Anway, we're going up for the day to have a look around. Hopefully I'll have the job sorted out by then and then all I have to do is find a place, but if not then at least I'll be able to have a really good look around and see where I'd like to be. The problem with that is that if I don't get the job or can't afford to take it, but go to check things out, then inevitably I'll fall in :heart: with the place and never want to leave!

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
littleg said:
Some unscrupulous landlords will gouge and charge an exorbitant amount for a tiny little space. And then jack the rent up for the winter season. If you're willing to sign a long term lease (i.e. a year), your odds are better finding a reasonable rent for the long-haul.
Also watch out for fraud. The non-landlord charging 1600buck. You come back and have no where to stay.

Pemberton is definitely an option (it's 32km north of Whistler village). A lot of people work in Whistler and live in Pemberton as it's more affordable. That said, it also a quieter scene than Whistler. If you're into partying, then Whistler is the place to be.

Squamish is also an option but it's a little further (40 minutes south of Whistler). Not sure if you have a car or not but at this point, there is no public transportation between Pemberton/Squamish & Whistler. Although hitch-hiking is very common.
There will be the squamish bus again this year I am sure, and pemberton has the city bus and the greyhound (at horrible times though)

(and SHOULD NOT go up in the winter. That irks me to no end).
My biggest irk, especially in the Cay, is how many houses there are with 0 people living in them. Ah well the joys and hates of whistler.

Grizzle

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
La Crescenta, CA
Question for all of you that live there, what employment opportunities are there for a bike mechanic / EMT? If i could get a job as a bike mechanic up there, damn that would be sweet. Im guessing its probably everyone's dream job though, and that there aren't many openings.

littleg

Chimp
Feb 24, 2005
Grizzle said:
Question for all of you that live there, what employment opportunities are there for a bike mechanic / EMT? If i could get a job as a bike mechanic up there, damn that would be sweet. Im guessing its probably everyone's dream job though, and that there aren't many openings.
I find a good mechanic is hard to come by but seeing as we're now entering the winter season (yup, there's snow on the mountains!), your chances are more slim now. However, in March-ish, as the transient population leaves, check out the ads in the local newspaper (piquenewsmagazine.com) or find out the names of the bike shops around town & contact them directly. I'm happy to give you the bike shops' names if you'd like.

When you say EMT, do you mean as in Paramedic? If that's the case, check with the municipality of Whistler - www.whistler.ca

Hope that helps.

Grizzle

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
La Crescenta, CA
littleg said:
I find a good mechanic is hard to come by but seeing as we're now entering the winter season (yup, there's snow on the mountains!), your chances are more slim now. However, in March-ish, as the transient population leaves, check out the ads in the local newspaper (piquenewsmagazine.com) or find out the names of the bike shops around town & contact them directly. I'm happy to give you the bike shops' names if you'd like.

When you say EMT, do you mean as in Paramedic? If that's the case, check with the municipality of Whistler - www.whistler.ca

Hope that helps.
Thanks bro, good information, it defintaely helps.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
girlwhoboards said:
hey i want to live in whister for the bike season in a couple of years...how hard is it as a non-canadian and what are the price ranges for a place?

thanks,
-Kim
You can get a work visa which last 1 year. Then you can try to extend it. Most aussies try this and it usually works.

Price ranges from 300cdn for a bed to 5000/month for a house.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
I am not sure about americans, but aussies definately don't. They get a visa and come over hoping to find work :)

The reason why I doubt a citizenship isn't viable is how long it takes and how many requirements there are. You wouldn't get up here for a couple of years and you would need to get tonnes of points.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
FatalExposure said:
I never thought Whistler was that outrageous price wise. Look here for some long term rentals.

Pique

rental info was in the first few posts..... look here. This is what I ment.;)

clandestine

Monkey
Sep 26, 2005
Vancouver, B.C
whistler is the best bike park/natural park, i have ever biked at. omg!
yes you can have a dual citizenship but it takes time, like you need a residence here for more than X amount of years lol
i forgot the number