Quantcast

Living off grid

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Our camp is just now getting water and septic lined up.
Little house on the prairie life sucks.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
subscribed, I have a college buddy who does (small) water-power installations on Orcas Island / San Juans.

While his home hydro-system seemed to require regular tinkering relative to stream flow variation it seems like a good supplement to solar -- i.e. charge your battery bank when it's rainy...

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
What kind of land is it? Hilly? Forested? Do you get lots of sunshine?

I am imagining a Swiss Family Robinson style abode for you.
Much hilly... For Quebec it might even be called "mountainous" It's basically a big rock since nearby trails are littered with huge rock slabs.

edit: it's about 500ft from summit to river

land.jpg

Last edited:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
This is a cool channel. His totally off grid. Chris has wind, solar and hydro. For off grid hydro can be amazing:

This guy is off grid and was too far away to get power from the grid and as a super sweet hydro setup and some beautiful land

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
inspiration or not.....how much wood is on the land....?

[MEDIA]

i think he was growing more than christmas trees on the property to make ends meet.....

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
100% wooded. It's the boreal forest so a good mix of hardwood like oak, maple, beech, some soft wood like birch and probably a good chunk of hemlocks, white cedar, pine, spruce, etc. Can you say "maple syrup"!!

I could probably get a small portion logged each year for money, but that would be last resort.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
100% wooded. It's the boreal forest so a good mix of hardwood like oak, maple, beech, some soft wood like birch and probably a good chunk of hemlocks, white cedar, pine, spruce, etc. Can you say "maple syrup"!!

I could probably get a small portion logged each year for money, but that would be last resort.
build something small/basic first......how deep in the woods do you want the house to be?

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
There might be tax advantages to that.
Our land in maine is a wood lot and we only need to cut a small portion commercially every 10 years.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
build something small/basic first......how deep in the woods do you want the house to be?
Hard to say, depends on the slopes and orientation of flat sections. There seems to be a forest road already built, so that would cut cost to build near it. The access to the river seems pretty steep. That region is opening up (covid) next week, so we will be able to go check it out.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
We have been talking about parking Frita out there until we can build something. But we have also looked at recreational properties that we can park but not build on.

A guy here in town has 20 acres of rec property and dropped a container on it. He converted it into a tiny house and it doesn't break the no construction clause since it isn't considered to be on a foundation. :rofl:

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
We have been talking about parking Frita out there until we can build something. But we have also looked at recreational properties that we can park but not build on.

A guy here in town has 20 acres of rec property and dropped a container on it. He converted it into a tiny house and it doesn't break the no construction clause since it isn't considered to be on a foundation. :rofl:
I gather he does not have services?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I've been debating different ideas for building on my land since I got it around 5 years ago. We've considered everything from "do nothing" to building a full-on house for full-time living, and everything in between. At this point we've got power, water, and a small shed. Having a pretty pimp van to stay in makes it too easy to procrastinate - it's a pretty rad van camp. But this whole covid thing has definitely got us thinking that we need to make something happen up there.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
I've been debating different ideas for building on my land since I got it around 5 years ago. We've considered everything from "do nothing" to building a full-on house for full-time living, and everything in between. At this point we've got power, water, and a small shed. Having a pretty pimp van to stay in makes it too easy to procrastinate - it's a pretty rad van camp. But this whole covid thing has definitely got us thinking that we need to make something happen up there.
We have the van also, but it would probably get sold since we would not be using it for a few years. Actually, it would be live in the van while building cabin and living in the cabin while building the house.
All of the sudden that sounds like a lot of work... :think:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
At least the trails are close.

The remote living people I know are basically consumed by living remotely.

I spend a lot of time fighting back the forest that’s always trying to reclaim the land.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
when I lived in the mountains I had a 250 gallon propane tank, fire station had a 500 gallon Those hooked up to a propane generator for power. we would lose grid power for up to ten days at a time. Add solar, potbelly stove and about ten cords of seasoned oak and we were set. I refilled the propane 3-4 times a year

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
On edit: there are more regulations and permits needed for a 500 gallon tank than you want to deal with. almost none for 250 gallons. the cheap and easy solution is to have two 250s and that keeps the powers that be out of your hair

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Uh, yeah. It's going to be a lot of work regardless, but you know that. You could save some time, work, and money by skipping the cabin part and picking up a used trailer for cheap to live in while you build the house. Plenty of time for cabins and other fun stuff later.

There are pros and cons no matter what approach you take. But don't get discouraged, one way or another it will work out. Probably. Eventually. :D

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I gather he does not have services?
Correct. He has a really nice solar/wind setup with battery bank. He's an older retired vet. I have only seen pictures and talked to him at a party. He got me thinking about it for our purposes.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
What applies to California does not necessarily do so in Quebec...
true but there is a certain level of flammable fuel storage in most areas where you transition from residential size to commercial and that's where the permit and regs kick in. it does vary by area. Here a 250 only needs a chain holding it to a slab and it can be near a structure. A 500 had to be bolted to a slab of specified thickness with two shut offs and a certain distance from all structures and special fuel lines buried at a specific depth etc

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord

[MEDIA]

i think he was growing more than christmas trees on the property to make ends meet.....
i watched that the other week as i am always thinking of mountain land...lots of cool ideas/concepts but i absolutely hated the guy by the end. like a lot of folks who do this, he's way too fucking full of himself. there's another similar one with a guy in (idaho?) who has a big community garden and a semi-buried greenhouse.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i watched that the other week as i am always thinking of mountain land...lots of cool ideas/concepts but i absolutely hated the guy by the end. like a lot of folks who do this, he's way too fucking full of himself. there's another similar one with a guy in (idaho?) who has a big community garden and a semi-buried greenhouse.
the houses are cool.....guy is a flake....

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Usually when people accept to be filmed or create their own YT channel, they seek the attention.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Pooping in a Outhouse in January always sucks. I know I am soft.
I must be soft too. Dangling your bare ass out at -15 to rid your body of the disagreeing Nepalese food you had for dinner was not a fun exercise. Invigorating with all that cold breeze airing out your balloon knot though.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
There are a couple of YouTube channels I subscribe to that could potentially provide some inspiration. They've both built off-grid homesteads in the Pacific Northwest and have taken different approaches to the problems they've encountered. Could provide some good binge-watching material for a rainy afternoon.

Wranglerstar: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMIjEnXruVHtvgSVf6TgfUg
Pure Living For Life: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChhBsM9K_Bc9a_YTK7UUlnQ

I don't recall where Doug & Stacy are offhand, but here's another that could be useful.
Off Grid With Doug & Stacy: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChit3QKk051fCsqliwVrbuQ

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I must be soft too. Dangling your bare ass out at -15 to rid your body of the disagreeing Nepalese food you had for dinner was not a fun exercise. Invigorating with all that cold breeze airing out your balloon knot though.
During the Iditarod, interior Alaska, at lodges with no running water, during COVID where they wouldn't let you back inside unless you'd thoroughly slathered up with hand-sanitizer. At -20F that's the last thing you want to put on your hands outside in the cold.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
During the Iditarod, interior Alaska, at lodges with no running water, during COVID where they wouldn't let you back inside unless you'd thoroughly slathered up with hand-sanitizer. At -20F that's the last thing you want to put on your hands outside in the cold.
Slather hands, then light on fire. Two methods of sanitizing AND you get warmed up in the process. Win win!