Quantcast

Living the dream

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
For many months, an idea, whose origins date back to many years ago, lingered in my head, each day stronger than the day before.

i have a plan.

whenever i am fired from my current job, i will live of my severange package, and i estimate i can make it last for an entire year to bum off, live off my SUV in the highlands and ride my bike every day in the andes, roadtrip (maybe in the motorcycle) southamerica for a couple months... and wake up for lunch to surf and fish in beaches near the equator.

then, i will look for another job.

i live dreaming of that day.
That day has almost come. when I was younger I was to stupid to appreciate such an event, now that am 28, am old enough to know what a real job is all about, and how valuable spare time is.

I´ve checked my finances, my severance package, my unpaid vacations (80 days :eek:), my actives and passives, and that day is nearer than ever.

On fall 2012, I will return to school/grad school full time.
As of today, I have enough cash to live 2 years without working, going to school full time, riding my bike everyday, and hopefully spending the entire summers back in Peru (or Spain/France), riding my bike in the Andes (of the Alps), and maybe even wrenching and organizing rides at a local bike shop (dream teenage job) ocasionally for pocket money and discounts. Considering am a Service Manager for Toyota, and also a factory certified master tech, i hope i can land such a job.

Ill get married next year, and spend the next 2 years sleeping, eating, ****ing and going to school for 2 whole years before coming back to a stressful real job again.

Just a few more months, and the dream, not working a real job for a full 2 years and riding my bike everyday, will be....

hell yes!

Last edited:

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Sweet Christ......have you never taken so much as a day?
I have taken 2 weeks in 2009, and 2 weeks in may 2011.
I have 4 weeks of vacation a year. Have been working 4 years, so am still owed 90 days (minus 10 days, which i have taken over the years one at a time).

I just cant take vacations, really, as I will get phone calls everyday, and if Im not at the office, nothing gets done, and goals arent met (catastrophically, on the 2 times I was out of the office, revenue fell 60%).

By peruvian law, after you accumulate 60 days of vacations, your employer has to pay you 3-times as for each vacation day. Since I have long crossed that, and there is no pressure for me to leave the office, I plan on keeping at least 60 days of vacations, so that when I leave, my severance package include 6-months worth of salary extra :p

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
my younger brother has had as much as three months...

This dude is 28 though. 80 days = ~ 4 months. That's an impressive amount of time to accrue in such relatively short time.

I know a few people that have 4, 5, 6 months accrued time.....but they've been here for 30+ years.

Last edited:

skyst3alth

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Denver, CO
No kidding, my PTO hours generally stay in the negative. We can borrow up to 40 hours, I try and keep my overall around -25 or so. :)

F coming to work, good for you!