Quantcast

Lizard skins carbon fiber patch thingies

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
You know those little 1" by 3/4" carbon patches you stick to your frame in strategic locations to keep cables from rubbing and whatnot?

How do you get them to stick? Yes, I wipe the frame down with alcohol beforehand. I've heated them with a hairdryer. I've tried them in different orientations. I leave the bike indoors overnight to keep the adhesive warm. But this morning I look at it, and the edges are peeling up AGAIN. It's as if they are too stiff. They want to lie flat and the glue isn't strong enough to keep them stuck to a round surface..ie: my seat tube..

May 9, 2003
Burien at Crappiss' House
Pssst..... it's because THEY SUCK! (Don't tell anyone else!);)

You could get a bike with square tubes, there's lots of them out there, then your patch thingies will stick perfectly to it! I have solved your problem, you're welcome!:D

S.G.D

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver
mine stuck fine, especially the chainstay protector. but, that one de-laminated after a while (a long while) however, the edge on the mini patch i had lift a bit, but it still did the job.

my application process was the same as urs.

~SGD

Instigator

ass balancer
Aug 22, 2001
Rochester, NY
I am a big fan of the soft side of velcro. It sticks well, it forms to tubes well and it is soft enough to not wear through your cable housing. oh, nice and cheep too :thumb: