Quantcast

Lizard Skins...Good or bad

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I've heard a lot of complaints about the Lizard Skins fork boots. Peoples say they increase the risk of getting mud/dirt/water/crap inside the fork.

I've been using a lizard skins with my Fox Float rear shock for two years but I only use it when I know I'm gonna see a lot of mud on the trail...and I remove it just after the ride. My bike is an FSR XC (which is designed so that the shock receives a lot of mud and water).

Should I continue to use it or not?

Thanks!

M

MuDHoG

I've never had a problem with liz skins....and If you've been using yours for two years, well don't worry about it!!!!:)

Ranger

Swift, Silent, Deadly!
Aug 16, 2001
Y'all can't see me...
Servus!

I have had countless folks tell me that Lizard Skins are just big traps for mud and dirt and small pebbles and bugs and mice, etc. and what they say is pretty much true - if you're a dork and leave them on forever.

I had some on my Old Trek and found that if I took them off and cleaned them off (during my normal post-ride mainenance) that dirt and grit don't have a chance to get in your fork/shock mechanism. It's a good halfway mark between running unprotected and running with the factory accordion boots on. Less worry that you'll dick something up while riding, but it's not fire and forget either.

I say get em but remember that they are NOT maintenance-free.
But I know that you are a good boy and clean and lube your bike after every ride, right? Damn, I sound like my dentist....

G

gravity

I would like to add to ranger's statement......."precisely".

he has pretty much hit the nail on the head.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
OK! Until now, it seems I was using my Lizard Skins just the right way...without knowing!

Oh! Yes, I do clean and lube my bike after every ride!

Thanks! :D