Quantcast

Lk Sawyer: new church to wipe out some trails.

rowee5

Chimp
Sep 18, 2006
I was out at Lk Sawyer on Sunday. You know that sign on the NE side of hwy169 that says "Future Home of...blah...Church". Well on Sunday when I was exiting those trails, some of the church members were gathering at the sign for a dedication ceremony of some kind. I don't know when they're going to start clear-cutting that side, but I'm sure it will be pretty soon. So ride those trails while you still can.

Anyone have any idea how much we'll lose on that side? And when?

I'm guessing all of them b/c the church will need a parking lot. Which totally sucks.

_enduro

LIPS

Chimp
Jul 19, 2005
Portland
The sign has the name of the church. The church, if they care about reaching the community their in would like to hear from you about your trails. Call and ask to speak to the Pastor and ask if anything can be done to save some of the trails. Yeah it might be to late, but you never know unless you ask.

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
If you go to BlackDiamond Ski and Bike and talk to Peter he should be able to give some good news.There is some land near by that the County I believe has plans for new trails.BBTC might be able to give some info on this as well.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
Bummer, but unfortunately we knew it would come sooner or later. Black Diamond is developing fast.

Going to miss such a great trail network, hopefully we will get a few more years to ride there.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i dunno if it's Jesus, Buddha, or Allah. But somebody's gonna hafta pay!!:bonk:

Eventually some parts of Lake Sawyer are going to get developed. But luckily it's not going to be like Victor Falls where it totally get's closed off. That's because most of the land is owned by the Coal company and some County land too. The new Church will likely gobble up some trail but i'm sure people will be out there re-routing so you can still do a loop on the other side with whatever is left.

As far as Maplewoods aka Henry's Ridge, BBTC wanted to go the slow route and have the County build the trail out there. But the locals are wanting trails now, so i don't know what's going to happen.

Black Diamond Bikes is a good place to start to network with people that are involved in that i would say. Ralph L who built JLG and Black Bear in the Ed's Woods section seems to be wanting to wrestle control of the project.

woodway

Chimp
Aug 4, 2006
Rode there over the weekend. The whole trail system on the same side of 169 as the bike shop (the West side?) is full of survey stakes and white flags that look to be marking property lines.

One of the guys on the ride mentioned something about plans for hundreds of homes where the survey stakes are.

When they go to that much trouble to survey things out, the end cannot be far off. Ride it while you can!

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
All the more reson to build where you know your work will last. I applaud the builders down there for all their hard work and effort. They made a real fun trail system. But, I can't help being bummed about all that time and effort not lasting very long. The Henry's Ridge plan sounds like the near term best bet down there. Let's hope it turns out just as fun.
The other thing that no one is mentioning is that there still will be lots of fun trails to ride down there. Only a portion of it is going away.