Quantcast

Lo-Pro Mag problems? help

Odd is he

Chimp
Jun 3, 2005
My specialized lo Pro mag pedal that came stock on my P-Street has become a little loose and moves on the spindle, and it spins too freely....

Should i tighten the out side bolt on the spindle? or something else

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Seriously, unless that one was defective, if you've broken them once you'll almost certainly do it again. Pedals are like that. I'd get a better quality pedal if I were you. Not to rag on Specialized, they make some good stuff, but those pedals are not exactly made from high quality materials. Ever had axle stabbed leg? It hurts like hell.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I have three sets I swap round on all my rigs dependant on what I'm doing:

A set of the 'new' Shimano DX, some Atomlab sealed bearing CNC'd type flattys very similar to those Cullys, and the old Shimano red caged SPDs (525s?).

I've still got some original Shimano DXs somewhere - In the end after many bearing changes they just got too worn out. I used one as a novelty beer bottle opener for a while.

Odd is he

Chimp
Jun 3, 2005
Im gettin another pair off warranty, but if they break again, i'll get a credit for some new pedals....

Odyssey JC sealed MAG's

HTFR

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Chelsea, Quebek
odyssey JC unsealed ALU. dont waist your money on cartage bearings and dont waist your money on lighter mag. catrace bearings have smaller balls, sure the 'spin' smother, but im sure you cant tell, i have never been able too (but there are some real anal monkey on this forum). and im not sure but i think mag pedals can get smashed easyer.

oh and those gusset pedal look like junk, they look the same as the welgo cheapies, same pins, same cast frame, 'cept the welgos cost 15 :nuts:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Wow the section that snapped on your pedal is really thin!

As for sealed bearings, they are simply far less hassle when servicing, and actually I think in most pedals you can notice how much smoother they are, provided the axle isn't bent, especailly after a couple of months.

Real nice DJ pedals these days have sealed bearings and some sort of rubber o-ring or damper so they don't spin like crazy when your feet come off.

I'd agree about Magnesium pedals snapping easier. Magnesium seems too brittle in this application. I had a friend who had some DMR V8s, loved em, upgraded to the V12 Mags for pimp factor, broke the rear cage bit on both pedals and went back to the V8s. They are 'rougher' but they're tougher, too. :D

Odd is he

Chimp
Jun 3, 2005
I'm going to see how the new lo-pros hold out, if they dont work, its odyssey JC....

Right now i have the odyseey JC sealed aluminum on the P. Street, they came off my bmx

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I've seen a few of those Wellgo's bend too. It's just cos the axle is made of ****. The pedal body seems OK - I dunno about the bearing races in the non-sealed versions though. The cheap S+M pedal used to be the Wellgo too, I dunno if it still is.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
with all the street riding I do, I serously go through pedals like every other month. I have not tried the Gusset's but I was considering it. Here's my experience in the last year...
I've ridden funn sol jams $85.00 and lasted 2 months before one exploded, and the sealed bearings broke open and went spilling into the street. Planet x clingon II's weren't very pimp, nor did I like the way they felt, but the were tough as hell. I rode a pair of diamond back peadals that were super nice. the pedal had a low profile, and was mode out of a solid piece of alum. They seemed durable, but they were heavy, so I sold them. JC's. Super nice, strong, good feel, lasted me 3 months. Now I'm riding Eastern's, I have had them for almost 2 months, and they seem to be doing great, they are lighter then JC's, and they feel very similar. they have a good concave shape, and at $27.00 who could complain, I may actually get another pair.