Quantcast

Loaner Cars weird charges

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I had my car in the shop all last month for (insert long story here)...

While it was there I told them that they needed to give me a loaner because I had been driving someone elses car last time the car was in the shop for a month (see long story above).

Anyway, they took a brand new car with 30 miles on it and gage it to me as a loaner. They said here is your loaner agreement sign here yada yada yada. I said whatever signed it and took off in the loaner. Since I had the loaner for a month it got some use on it, I drove it nearly 1500 miles, same use my car gets in a month. It also got 1 very small scratch in it under an 1/8th of inch long. Probably kicked up a rock or something seeing as how its right above where the rear tire is. No damage to anything except the top coat of the paint.

Anyway, when I took it back the dude went all around the car with me with a clipboard and started checking things off. Well when he saw the scratch he was like, "we are going to have to get an estimate on this and charge you for the repair".

WTF is that? I've had loaners (never from this dealer) before but no one has ever said that to me, "you have to pay for the repair of this".

Should I fight this? Seriously I had the car for a whole month of regular driving conditions. Wouldnt they expect that a loaner would be used?

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
golgiaparatus said:
It also got 1 very small scratch in it under an 1/8th of inch long. Probably kicked up a rock or something seeing as how its right above where the rear tire is. No damage to anything except the top coat of the paint.

Anyway, when I took it back the dude went all around the car with me with a clipboard and started checking things off. Well when he saw the scratch he was like, "we are going to have to get an estimate on this and charge you for the repair".

WTF is that? I've had loaners (never from this dealer) before but no one has ever said that to me, "you have to pay for the repair of this".

Should I fight this? Seriously I had the car for a whole month of regular driving conditions. Wouldnt they expect that a loaner would be used?
Well if there is damage you will be responsible for paying for that damage. However....

There is a significant difference between damage and wear & tear. What rental car company is this? Or is it the dealer itself? If it is truly just a cosmetic scratch less then 1/8th of an inch long that would pass almost every "wear and tear" test.***

If it is a little more significant and requiring some buffing, paint and blending of paint it might be truly $50-250 to repair (depending on how they go about doing it).

*** I worked for the audit dept of Enterprise Rent-A-Car for 3 years

J

JRB

stinkyboy said:
You borrowed a car and messed it up?

You don't know the answer?!

Hint: The opposite of robdadingus' response.
:stupid: Sucks, but it's right.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
stinkyboy said:

Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Well if there is damage you will be responsible for paying for that damage. However....

There is a significant difference between damage and wear & tear. What rental car company is this? Or is it the dealer itself? If it is truly just a cosmetic scratch less then 1/8th of an inch long that would pass almost every "wear and tear" test.***

If it is a little more significant and requiring some buffing, paint and blending of paint it might be truly $50-250 to repair (depending on how they go about doing it).

*** I worked for the audit dept of Enterprise Rent-A-Car for 3 years
I think Rob covered it pretty well. Generally, wear and tear will be something that would likely happen in the course of regular usage, such as a rock chip or scratch.

I've never known someone to be charged for a rock chip or insignificant scratch. Check your contract and see what it says regarding "damage" and "wear and tear".

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
stinkyboy said:

The dealer kept my car for a month trying to fix something, all the while leaving me having to borrow rides to work 15 miles from home because they "dont have a loaner car program". This was for a whole month while I paid payments on my car that was in the shop.

When they gave it back to me it wasnt fixed so I gave it back to them. I was like you guys really dont have a loaner program. They were like oh yeah we just started the program, you are the first person to be in it, here is your car.

Then they kept my car for another month and did jack sh!t to it. They told me I need to take it and get the tires changed on it. This will mark the 3rd set of tires for this car in the last 3 months with every pair being warrantee'd by the manufacturer. Now I have to do this crap again and on top of that they want me to pay for a TINY scratch on a car that they will be using on their loaner program? I have had loaner cars from Acura another (same dealer Don Carlton of Tulsa)... never signed crap, just got a car. Car never got inspected, had 50k on it from being a loaner, had little scratches here and there etc etc. I say WTF?

On a side note... the good money is on me having to take it back to them AGAIN after I get another set of tires and the car is still vibrating down the road like POS junker. Note this car is under warrantee, I have another 30k before warrantee runs out.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
golgiaparatus said:
The dealer kept my car for a month trying to fix something, all the while leaving me having to borrow rides to work 15 miles from home because they "dont have a loaner car program". This was for a whole month while I paid payments on my car that was in the shop.

When they gave it back to me it wasnt fixed so I gave it back to them. I was like you guys really dont have a loaner program. They were like oh yeah we just started the program, you are the first person to be in it, here is your car.

Then they kept my car for another month and did jack sh!t to it. They told me I need to take it and get the tires changed on it. This will mark the 3rd set of tires for this car in the last 3 months with every pair being warrantee'd by the manufacturer. Now I have to do this crap again and on top of that they want me to pay for a TINY scratch on a car that they will be using on their loaner program? I have had loaner cars from Acura another (same dealer Don Carlton of Tulsa)... never signed crap, just got a car. Car never got inspected, had 50k on it from being a loaner, had little scratches here and there etc etc. I say WTF?

On a side note... the good money is on me having to take it back to them AGAIN after I get another set of tires and the car is still vibrating down the road like POS junker. Note this car is under warrantee still with, I still have another 30k before warrantee runs out.
3 times in 1 year for the same thing constitutes lemon, doesn't it? At least it used to in NJ.

J

JRB

robdamanii said:
I think Rob covered it pretty well. Generally, wear and tear will be something that would likely happen in the course of regular usage, such as a rock chip or scratch.

I've never known someone to be charged for a rock chip or insignificant scratch. Check your contract and see what it says regarding "damage" and "wear and tear".
I think I know why you don't like Bush. You don't like anything that lends accountability. You don't dislike Bush. You dislike anything that doesn't go your way. :D

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Dude, I feel for ya, but I was giving ya the Judge Judy response, and that's what any judge will tell ya.

Can you not take your car to another dealer?

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
stinkyboy said:
Dude, I feel for ya, but I was giving ya the Judge Judy response, and that's what any judge will tell ya.

Can you not take your car to another dealer?
Only one in town I think. Big time dealer too... DOn Carlton Hyundai is part of Don Carlton Honda, Don Carlton Acura, Don Carltom Mitsu. I'm in new car warrantee hassle hell.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
The problems with YOUR car and the LOANER car are seperate issues. However it is time that you throw the trump card down. Just complain, and loudly and in writing if necessary. Tell them you do not care about the details anymore. ... You have x car for y amount of time and it is constantly in the shop, now you were in a loaner car and they want to charge you for a minor scratch.

Tell then you just want everything rectified. You want a properly running vehicle....

Dont argue or debate symantics with them. Just keep repeating that you are the customer and you are not happy with the situation. If you get into an argument about specifics you will end up with the short end of the stick.

Tell it as loudly as possible and often, become a PITA, but professionally. Start with the service manager, then the general manager, and make sure you ask for the Factory Rep's name and number because you want them involved as well.

GOod luck.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
The problems with YOUR car and the LOANER car are seperate issues. However it is time that you throw the trump card down. Just complain, and loudly and in writing if necessary. Tell them you do not care about the details anymore. ... You have x car for y amount of time and it is constantly in the shop, now you were in a loaner car and they want to charge you for a minor scratch.

Tell then you just want everything rectified. You want a properly running vehicle....

Dont argue or debate symantics with them. Just keep repeating that you are the customer and you are not happy with the situation. If you get into an argument about specifics you will end up with the short end of the stick.

Tell it as loudly as possible and often, become a PITA, but professionally. Start with the service manager, then the general manager, and make sure you ask for the Factory Rep's name and number because you want them involved as well.

GOod luck.
I am on that road already. Factory dude came in looked at my car told them what to do, they tried it (took them a month). It didnt help, now they are pointing fingers back at my tires saying, "go get a nbew set of tires again". This time they want me to grop half a grand on a specific brand at a specific shop. What I dont get is why they keep passing the buck to tire shops. Why cant they just make it right? I'm pretty sure more tires arent going to do it and I'll be back there in a week or 2. The only thing I havent done is go to the owner of the dealer... This Don Carlton guy, his office is at his original Honda Dealership. I'm contemplating going and seeking a meeting with him.

beestiboy

Monkey
May 21, 2005
Merded, ca
im all for using their chain of command but at this point it sounds like you need to get to the regional manager outside of the dealership. They should cover your payments if the car is in the shop that long unless they are giving you unfettered use of a loaner/rental that is comprable. Did you do an inspection prior to taking the keys on the loaner?? if not you can argue that but Stinky is right if you scratched it you are responsible. it does seem petty on their part though.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
golgiaparatus said:
I am on that road already. Factory dude came in looked at my car told them what to do, they tried it (took them a month). It didnt help, now they are pointing fingers back at my tires saying, "go get a nbew set of tires again". This time they want me to grop half a grand on a specific brand at a specific shop. What I dont get is why they keep passing the buck to tire shops. Why cant they just make it right? I'm pretty sure more tires arent going to do it and I'll be back there in a week or 2. The only thing I havent done is go to the owner of the dealer... This Don Carlton guy, his office is at his original Honda Dealership. I'm contemplating going and seeking a meeting with him.
Get the factory rep back involved. You mentioned having bought tires recently... Bring those receipts. Suggest THEY put new tires on it. Tell them you can no longer afford to experiment. I am sure they sell tires. Tell them to put on whatever they suggest, you will be happy to be a guinea pig at their expense.

Trust me when I say.. If you have a legitimate complaint a reputable dealer should make it right. You may have to jump through hoops, but neither the dealership nor the factory want an unsatisfied customer running at the mouth.