Quantcast

Local Bike Shop Hell

Dirt Jumper

Chimp
Sep 6, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I took the time to write up a little story on my site about what happened the other day at a local bike shop called Ted's Bicycles.

Check it out here

Don't worry, no spam or nothing, just a direct link to the article.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Sounds like you were dealing with someone new at that shop.(?) Or it's just a crap shop. I agree that SS with vertical dropouts isn't a good idea, unless you're chainstays are perfect length to tension the chain. Find a new shop and TELL them what you want to do and ask their opinions on what they think would be the best thing to do.

Road cass. on a mtb deraileur works fine.

Dirtbike

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
eastbay
Sounds like an newbie mechanic. Road cassettes indeed work with Mtn derailluers (apart from 10 speed). Common in MX and DS racing.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
motomike said:
I agree that SS with vertical dropouts isn't a good idea, unless you're chainstays are perfect length to tension the chain...
or you get something like an eno hub or your bike just happened to come with an eccentric BB. Chain tensioners are a way of life for conversions.

Dirt Jumper

Chimp
Sep 6, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Yeah, I understood what the guy was trying to get at about the tensioners, but when it reached the point where he was trying to talk me out of a road cassette is when I got pissed off. I mean, do they NOT want me to buy something? Do they not want my money? Pfft.

I think I will go ahead and buy the road cassette, and just tell them to put it on, no arguements. I trust you guys more then them yoinks.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Frankly this sounds like a he said she said. First I work in a shop. While I don't think the shop monkey was top notch (I would have laid out all your options before I touched your bike), neverthless, it sounded like you were work together on the problem.

Secondly, while you could run a SS with vertical dropouts, shops will rarely cobble it together. For insurance reasons, they want to set up bikes according to instructions, with a chain tensioner. I learned that one when I was going to lock out 3 cogs which had broken off.

Finally, from my perspective, this would be the classic "fill out the tag and put it into the queue" repair job: Something out of the ordinary with a whiny owner. It is better to work on it in private and make sure it is 100%.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Bikes are so easy to work on. I'll never understand why people serious about riding go there for anything other than tubes and "maybe" to have a headset pressed in, or maybe a bb shell faced or something.

aggrorider

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
bikes w/ vertical drop outs should have a tensioner. I don't know why he was pissed about that. Yes it shoulds like the shop was a little dumb ans didn't know ****, but they were right with the chain tensioner.

It can be a pain in the A$$, but SS w/Vert's(w/o a tensioner) is doalbale. All you have to do is pick a gear set-up you like(ie. 32 X 18 tooth), and then put it on the bike, and fit the chain as close as possable. Then change the rear cog(rough ajustment), or the front ring(fine ajustment), by 1 tooth at a time, 'till it fits perfect(or close as possable). The nice thing, is no worries of the rear wheel slipping and loosening the chain, and it will work w/diskbrakes!

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
Urban FR'er 666 said:
Yes, but a tensioner allows 2,100 times more chances for your chain to fall off.
how do u figure? i got a chain tensioner and i havnt droped a chain yet??? and thats on my hartail that i rode at snowshoe.

mikesbikes

Chimp
Nov 10, 2005
Even easier spend a little extra and buy a SS frame. Less headache and then you can have the gear ratio you specifically want with out the chain falling off.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
BurlyShirley said:
Bikes are so easy to work on. I'll never understand why people serious about riding go there for anything other than tubes and "maybe" to have a headset pressed in, or maybe a bb shell faced or something.
:stupid:

Learn to work on your bike... buy parts oline.

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
aggrorider said:
bikes w/ vertical drop outs should have a tensioner. I don't know why he was pissed about that. Yes it shoulds like the shop was a little dumb ans didn't know ****, but they were right with the chain tensioner.
No, not all bikes with vertical drop outs need a tensioner. Vertical sliding drops are just as good as horizontal.