Quantcast

Local DH Teams in Seattle Area?

AZRacerX

Monkey
Mar 4, 2003
Kent, WA
Hey guys, I was wondering who are some local DH teams or clubs in the Seattle area? I moved up here a couple of years ago and am just getting back into riding so I'm looking to find some people to ride with. I'm thinking about doing some DH races next year so it would be cool to find a club or team (or just a group of people) who know the PNW race scene.

Thanks,
Chris

SnowboardinWA

Monkey
Feb 23, 2007
Tacoma, WA
Racer, what part of AZ did you move up from? I was Law Enforcement in Huachuca, AZ. Theres only a few races around here, and those are in Idaho and Oregon. Then theres the WED series at Whistler. We have 2 more races left in Oregon if you want to go, 1 more in Idaho. I'm just a few miles south of you in Tacoma. PM me.

AZRacerX

Monkey
Mar 4, 2003
Kent, WA
I moved from the Phoenix area. I don't think I'll be able to make any races in 2007, but I definitely want to try to make a few in '08. Are there any local trails to shuttle?

SnowboardinWA

Monkey
Feb 23, 2007
Tacoma, WA
Up north, near Bellingham. You have a pretty cool place called SST right down from you, like 15 minutes away in SeaTac, but thats not a long shuttled run. PUSH PUSH PUSH.

SnowboardinWA

Monkey
Feb 23, 2007
Tacoma, WA
I moved from the Phoenix area. I don't think I'll be able to make any races in 2007, but I definitely want to try to make a few in '08. Are there any local trails to shuttle?
You can't be ready to race in 2 weeks? WEAK..LOL. How about 4 weeks, I'll give you a lift. What kind of bike do you have? Age? How long have you raced? Where did you race in AZ?

AZRacerX

Monkey
Mar 4, 2003
Kent, WA
You can't be ready to race in 2 weeks? WEAK..LOL. How about 4 weeks, I'll give you a lift. What kind of bike do you have? Age? How long have you raced? Where did you race in AZ?

Yeah I've been to SST, thats a fun place to ride. I was hoping to find some longer trails.

I started racing DH in '99. Not really anywhere in AZ to race. They used to have a race at some ski spot in the White Mountains, but that ended a while back. I'm not even sure they still shuttle people in the summer. I raced mostly at Big Bear and some of the NMBS races, Expert class. In 2003 I started a small team (Team SWIFT) and we concentrated on traveling to NMBS races, but I did mostly slalom and 4X that year and in 2004. I haven't raced since 2004 so it's been a few years. I also used to run a web site (mtbx.com) but took it down a while back. I'm 34 now.

When I moved here I bought a Specialized Big Hit for playing around at SST. It's got a Jr. T, but I'm going to try to upgrade it to a 170mm 888. That bike will probably do ok for some Sport races to get back into it. We'll see. I mainly need to work on my fitness, skills are still there I think.

Where is the race at in 4 weeks?

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
There are lots of shuttle runs around here plus several push places. As is the common theme here, most if all are either not legit or not really DH trails but shuttleable XC trails.
So, hooking up with locals to check those spots out on the dl is the unfortunate "norm".

I'm surprised that no one has piped in about the local DH teams. Isn't Speedmetal still around and doesn't DHz, Fanatik, Fluidride, GHY, etc have shop teams they sponsor? (I dunno, I'm not of the full on gravity pursuasion.)

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
PM me if you want to ride. I'm a bit mangled at the moment, ubt I'll be up for it soon. There are a few spots around. I don't know them all since I'm new here too, but there are great people to ride with!

If you haven't done it yet, Mt. Galbraith in Bellingham (about an hour or so North of Seattle) is tons of fun. You are not too far from all the goodies in Vancouver BC either.

AZRacerX

Monkey
Mar 4, 2003
Kent, WA
PM me if you want to ride. I'm a bit mangled at the moment, ubt I'll be up for it soon. There are a few spots around. I don't know them all since I'm new here too, but there are great people to ride with!

If you haven't done it yet, Mt. Galbraith in Bellingham (about an hour or so North of Seattle) is tons of fun. You are not too far from all the goodies in Vancouver BC either.
Awesome, I'll definitely take you up on that.

SnowboardinWA

Monkey
Feb 23, 2007
Tacoma, WA
AZ....2nd and 23rd of Sept. Mt Hood. 16th of Sept Mt Spokane. You have everything you need to race the Sport course at Mt Hood. If for no other reason, just to come out and meet everyone. If you have Sept 1st & 2nd off, you can jump with me. I used to race my big hit there the last 2 years. This year I have an M1. Next year I'll have a??? M3, M6 or a DHR I think. Your Jr T will do just fine.

Race Teams..... GHY is in Renton just minutes from you.

SnowboardinWA

Monkey
Feb 23, 2007
Tacoma, WA
He does ride for Darren, but he's none of those guys. Darren didn't even give them jerseys. The shop I ride for has given me 2. Plus he spent HIS 2 hours he could have been practcing for the race, to fix MY bike. BERNIE, you ROCK!!!

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
NO no...I know. It was more a commentary on the DHZ website....that pic was taken at crystal in 2000 if I'm not mistaken.

He does ride for Darren, but he's none of those guys. Darren didn't even give them jerseys. The shop I ride for has given me 2. Plus he spent HIS 2 hours he could have been practcing for the race, to fix MY bike. BERNIE, you ROCK!!!

combatcowboy

Chimp
Sep 16, 2007
Seattle
Hey, I am also planning on doing some DH races next year since I just got my new IH Sunday. I need to practice and I know some trails around here that are pretty awesome. I work in Kent, live in Fed Way. Let me know if you want to go riding.