Quantcast

Local DJ Park

Muuqi

Monkey
Oct 11, 2005
Ashland Oregon
My buddy Josh and I have been putting in hours and hours of shovel time and our park is starting to take shape nicely! What do yall think.

here's the roll in

first few small table tops

kickers

sorry 'bout the terrible photo quality
more kickers

Muuqi

Monkey
Oct 11, 2005
Ashland Oregon
Yeah, I'm hoping that the rain clears up for the weekend and we can get some of the lines more dialed in and some riding shots. The city was pretty cool about it, they gave us ALL the dirt and even had two of their workers come out with tractors and back hoes to move the dirt for us.

-Steve-

Chimp
Mar 3, 2005
Hungary [EU]
You did a great job it looks awesome,but may I ask, is this your first attempt on building jumps? If so than just a bit of advice, convert those doubles into step-ups, cause zero step-ups (as now) and step-downs (just case them a couple of times and voila) are pain in the ass, really. Just to make your ankles say thank you, zero step-ups gonna smack them in half if you ride hardtail. And even you can boost higher jumps on them!

Muuqi

Monkey
Oct 11, 2005
Ashland Oregon
No, the other half still isn't hittable. . .and I doubt anything is hittable right now with all this dang rain. Mudslide on the Interstate, Ricks house is flooded. . .I hate rain!!

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
you have alot of room to work with. how is the town so cool about your spot. what actions did you take to get them to bring you dirt and move it for you? this is baffling me.

Muuqi

Monkey
Oct 11, 2005
Ashland Oregon
Well like 8 years ago a couple of the local shops sort of got together and approached the city and requested a BMX park since we've always had a bunch of kids who are into biking, and Ashland, being the community that it is, agreed and gave us a "temporary" lot to build jumps in until they had a better one for us. So that temporary lot sort of turned into a semi permanant one until this time last year when all the orginal people who got the park going went back to the city and were like yo. . .it's been like 8 years, what's the deal? And it just so happened that the city hospital was getting a brand new parking garage, so the city basically just gave us all the dirt from that project. Of course we were all stoked and for like two weeks last December we had like 10 or 15 people down at the park digging. The thing was there were like 3 different people who considered themselves the "leaders" so like a bunch of people would build some lines one day, then the next day the other person would come down and tear **** down and do it their way, so eventually everyone sort of gave up. During the summer all the dirt dried and sort of turned into compacted granite, so no one could dig, and since the jumps were soo sh!tty, people quit riding them and going down there all together. So finally this fall when the rain picked back up and the dirt softened up, two buddies and my self decided to go down and put in the time to make them right. So. . .now they're on their way to being all dialed in for summer.

Muuqi

Monkey
Oct 11, 2005
Ashland Oregon
Ha ha dude Jake, Dizzle came down and was hitting it and was all yeah. . .it's fun. . .but the roll in should be taller so you don't gotta pedal. . .and the lips are too steep. I was thinking "dude. . .get a hardtail." Ha.

pbr

Chimp
Aug 18, 2003
San Francisco
dang, it's about time someone has taken advantage of that spot. Everytime I'm up, I drag Izaak out to check it with me. Are you riding at Central Point at all still?

Next time I'm up, we'll have to get a session going. Hopefully my ankle will be able to handle dirt jumping soon.

I take it the drama about the location is settled? It sounds like the scene up there has gotten pretty funky last time I heard. I miss being able to jump on the shuttle and just having a fun all day session.

Muuqi

Monkey
Oct 11, 2005
Ashland Oregon
Hmm I haven't been out to CP in a long long long time. I think the last time I was out there was during the summer, and with no easy water available, the jumps sorta turned into sand and then fell apart. I hear that Harley and Seth and some other kids went out there and "fixed" it. . .but I haven't checked it out. I figure since we have all this dirt at our disposal here in Ashland, why spend the gas money to drive all the way out there. I dunno about the scene being "funky" tho. . .I think it's always been funky to a certain extent lol.

pbr

Chimp
Aug 18, 2003
San Francisco
Muuqi said:
Hmm I haven't been out to CP in a long long long time. I think the last time I was out there was during the summer, and with no easy water available, the jumps sorta turned into sand and then fell apart. I hear that Harley and Seth and some other kids went out there and "fixed" it. . .but I haven't checked it out. I figure since we have all this dirt at our disposal here in Ashland, why spend the gas money to drive all the way out there. I dunno about the scene being "funky" tho. . .I think it's always been funky to a certain extent lol.
Yeah, that's true.. the politics of a small town.

I'm glad that someone is taking advantage of that dirt. I couldn't believe it was so unridable when I was up last. Totally bummed me out. If that dirt was there when I was living there, I'd be out digging with you. Any chance the city will provide a hose for summer time?

Muuqi

Monkey
Oct 11, 2005
Ashland Oregon
Yeah, that's on our to-do list. I figure since the treatment plant is right there, it'd be easy. Also we're hoping to put up some benches, a wall ride, and some sort of drainage system. It'll take some time, but when it's done it'll be sweet.

pbr

Chimp
Aug 18, 2003
San Francisco
you have to build a huge berm at the end of that set with a curved wallride... that would be so tight.. and then another set on the way back.. with transfers between the lines.. figure out a way to loop the whole thing.

um, good luck with that.

mongo

Chimp
Feb 4, 2005
Muuqi said:
Well like yo. . .it's been like 8 years, what's the deal? And it just so happened that the city hospital was getting a brand new parking garage, so the city basically just gave us all the dirt from that project. Of course we were all stoked and for like two weeks last December we had like 10 or 15 people down at the park digging. The thing was there were like 3 different people who considered themselves the "leaders" so like a bunch of people would build some lines one day, then the next day the other person would come down and tear **** down and do it their way, so eventually everyone sort of gave up... So finally this fall when the rain picked back up and the dirt softened up, two buddies and my self decided to go down and put in the time to make them right. So. . .now they're on their way to being all dialed in for summer.
Way to go, man. Glad to see you make it happen. Have you seen the dirt jump park in Bellingham? Here's a pic. The rider is David Waugh, known as dwaugh on RM I believe. Lotta community effort has gone into the B'ham DJ park, although the ride has been a little bumpy at times. There's a bunch of discussion on the Urban Forum on GalbraithMt.com. Happy trails... Mongo

Muuqi

Monkey
Oct 11, 2005
Ashland Oregon
Some pics from our sesh last evening at the park. Thanks to Alex Criss for snapping these.

Here's Harley throwin' down.

Joshua. . .

And your's truly.

Muuqi

Monkey
Oct 11, 2005
Ashland Oregon
Yeah, Josh and I went out to CP a few weeks ago and it was looking waaaay better. Still it just wasn't the right vibe. . .coulda been all the Central Point-ish bmxers. . .and the wind. But I definatly want to head back out there sometime soon. . .just early in the morning. Maybe Sunday? Too bad your in Whistler. Biking is soooo much better than any wintersport. Ha ha ha ha.