Quantcast

Local Gov't Proposals n stuff....

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
I got my first county proposal for a freeride park tonight.
I've been working on this with the local SORBA chapter for about 2 months now and trying to keep people excited has been no ball of wax. ( what the hell does that expression mean anyway? :think: Did I pick that up n an S&M forum?)

I've collected quotes on the progression of freeride and the merging with BMX, I've created CAD drawings of all the stunts and even have some case info on liability issues we may encounter.
I'm starting to wonder if I forgot anything..... Did I draw that tabletop too tall, will it scare the Soccer Mom's on the Parks & Rec. BOD. What will they think of that teeter.

Anyways, after 7 EST we will know if we can legally build North Shore Stuff on County property legally making it the first Public park like this in Georgia.

Wish me luck.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
DVNT said:
I've created CAD drawings of all the stunts and even have some case info on liability issues we may encounter.
Helpful hint from IMBA: Don't call them stunts, call them "technical trail features".

If you haven't already reviewed it, IMBA's Freeride Guide is a good resource. Especially the Risk Management section.

Good luck!

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Thanks for the reminder I did a little into piece which was borrowed from IMBA. I need to go a once over for slip ups though.

I need to change all instances of racers to riders.., bail-outs to alternate safety routes, Stunts to TTF's and so on.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Just a thought: I know you've spent a lot of time on CAD drawings and all, but you may want to hold those back. Depending on the process, if you use them to early in the game you may scare people off. Maybe it's better to have sign off on things before you whip out the drawings. Or, refer to them in your presentation ("professionaly specifications have been developed for technical trail features...blah,blah,blah") and then produce them if the audience is interested. Or, just show an example or two of some of the tamer stuff.

Be flexible and have a couple of options depending on the questions people ask. Just food for thought.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
I imported the 3-D renderings and did a mock up with a bike to show scale, but didn't include anything technical.

They won't have any exact dimensions to hold us accountable for.

I am afraid that they'll freak. I should make em watch the Red Bull Rampage first so we don't look crazy!

One good thing is the Land Manager is helping present the liability case and one of the guys on the board is a big XC fanatic.

I'm still a bit nervous though as a lot rides on this approval.
Not only the park but the possibility of starting a SORBA Freeride Chapter that will open up more areas in the SouthEast. We are going to try to take the route of showing how this project will the the example for others to follow kind of thing.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
DVNT said:
I got my first county proposal for a freeride park tonight.
I've been working on this with the local SORBA chapter for about 2 months now and trying to keep people excited has been no ball of wax. ( what the hell does that expression mean anyway? :think: Did I pick that up n an S&M forum?)

I've collected quotes on the progression of freeride and the merging with BMX, I've created CAD drawings of all the stunts and even have some case info on liability issues we may encounter.
I'm starting to wonder if I forgot anything..... Did I draw that tabletop too tall, will it scare the Soccer Mom's on the Parks & Rec. BOD. What will they think of that teeter.

Anyways, after 7 EST we will know if we can legally build North Shore Stuff on County property legally making it the first Public park like this in Georgia.

Wish me luck.
Good luck!

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Hey it worked!

We got the First "official" county approved on public property freeride area in all of Georgia1

Everything went really well.

The highlight of the meeting was when one of the board members (a woman who is probably close to 60) said, " Now, if I wanna learn how to catch this air, would this be the place I would go?"

What a classic!

It reminded me of the old lady from Wendy's... "Where's the beef?"

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Everything will have an option in this first section. So we will have a table top jump with a 2' side, a 4' side and a option around all of it. Also we will have some rock gardens and other technical bits.

It should be "fun for the whole family"!

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Man that is awesome. I don't want to create any more work for you, but by any chance have you kept good documentation as far as what worked and what didn't work for getting county reps to listen to you? Because around here we've been completely blown off by every county government person for over 10 years. It would be great to be able to show them a success story.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Echo said:
Man that is awesome. I don't want to create any more work for you, but by any chance have you kept good documentation as far as what worked and what didn't work for getting county reps to listen to you? Because around here we've been completely blown off by every county government person for over 10 years. It would be great to be able to show them a success story.
Sure, actually we used the group out of Florida as an example. It's a good approach. I'm sure if we didn't have the Land Manager on our side it would of been a lot more difficult.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Excellent! Glad your work paid off.

Did you offer to take that lady out once the "technical features" are built? :D

DVNT said:
The highlight of the meeting was when one of the board members (a woman who is probably close to 60) said, " Now, if I wanna learn how to catch this air, would this be the place I would go?"

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
riderx said:
Excellent! Glad your work paid off.

Did you offer to take that lady out once the "technical features" are built? :D
Ha ha ha!

I think the chapter President invited her out to the Skills Class we will be holding there!

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
Congrats! that rocks! Keep up the good work! I'll be sure to look to you for results as a reference in the near future! not too far up the road from you up here in Southwest VA...