Quantcast

local shop is replacing my crankset

jbourne84

Chimp
Jun 8, 2012
ive got an '06 P3 that came stock with a TruVativ howitzer BB and holzfeller cranks, the guy at the shop recommended a truvativ AKA crankset, i think it comes with its own BB.

I had my heart set on replacing everything with what was originally on there, but it was becoming impossible to find the holzfeller cranks with the same length(175).

Anyone know anything about the truvativ AKA?

jbourne84

Chimp
Jun 8, 2012
well what i specifically needed was the holzfeller 1.1 in a 175mm. There are 2.2s everywhere but ive heard the granny gear mounts can cause issues with chain guides.
I actually called SRAM about this and they told me it was in fact a size they sell but most dealers dont bother with it, less popular or something. (i couldnt find it online)
If you dont think the granny mounts are an issue feel free to let me know, because i would much rather have the holzfellers. But if it is a potential then i would obvi just rather something that has no issues.

jbourne84

Chimp
Jun 8, 2012
yeah, and the main question is whether to bother or just let them throw on the truvativ AKA crankset and BB.

In the end it is exactly the same price for me, so what do people think of going with the AKA's over the Holzfellers?

jbourne84

Chimp
Jun 8, 2012
Are the AKAs a downgrade? this is what im not sure, figured there must be pros/cons

Why are you replacing the cranks?

I'd be looking for a lightly used complete on CL rather than dumping money into that.
this a slightly used from craigslist, got it last fall.

Ill sum up the situation,

I took it into a shop to ask their opinion about the creaking i was getting when pedaling, i didnt care about the noise, just wanted to make sure it wasnt a safety thing. The guy replicated the creak, looked over the bike and said i should prob replace the BB... he offered to do it so i said what the heck(was going to be 40-50$). Then it was discovered that the none-drive side crank arm was completely seized to the BB axle, they broke multiple tools trying to remove it and a drill press was even used to try and bore out the crank bolt. No luck and it was mutually decided that since the crank arm was likely going to get ruined in the process and/or they might break another tool i opted to just replaced the crankset. I absolutely did not want to spend the money and this whole process has lasted over 2 weeks when i thought it would be done in 24 hours.