Quantcast

Location Advice: Richland, WA

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
Hey all,
I have an opportunity for a job with CH2MHILL at their Hanford Waste Disposal site for this summer. It isn't my first choice (as it's non-permanent, in a highly questionable location, and involves nuclear waste), but I would like to get any input possible on the location.

I got some satellite imagery of the area... looks like high desert, but I can't make out the topography. Is there any riding even close to Richland? If so, what kind? MTBR has one trail listed for Richland (Acme Trail), but no details are available.

Any other PNW monkeys have info on ecology or GIS jobs currently available in the PDX area? (I know... long shot)

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
search google for the oregons employment department job database. when i was in school i used it alot. you can search it by keywords, fields, ect...

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
I grew up there, but haven't lived there for 12 years. I visit about once every two months. I have rode one trail out in Kennewick, State Patrol. It's nothing to write home about.

I do love the area out there...good weather....small town feel...no traffic.

I would PM Atomic Dog. He still lives in the area and rides often.

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
oly said:
search google for the oregons employment department job database. when i was in school i used it alot. you can search it by keywords, fields, ect...
Yeah... I've been checking it out a bit. Not quite sure if I wan't to jump right into the bureaucratic nightmare that state government tends to offer.

e.g. "I'm sorry... due to the state budget crisis, no color printing without approval of a level-3 supervisor is authorized until further notice."

But then there are a few benefits:
9:15: stroll in unnoticed
10:00: coffee break
11:30: long lunch
2:00: time for lattes
4:00: mental checkout
4:50: exit unnoticed

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
judging from your eastern pedal, u ride a bmx or a freeride hardtail? well there is a freakin SICK skatepark in richland now www.richlandskatepark.com
it is so awesome i go there all the time with my p.2. they also rebuilt our bmx track with the same guy who builds the tracks for the national races, so it is really nice.
for actual mountainbiking, there is state patrol in kennewick which is kinda fun but nothing special really. there are some ok jumps being built off the beaten path there. there is ACME, which is down by the yakima river by the acme cement company. it is totally flat and has the remnants of some dirtjumps, but there are pretty sad now.
in my spare time i built some downhill style trails that are pretty short near my house. there's

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
sorry that got cut off. anyways by my house there's lots of stepdown type jumps and about a 20-25ft road gap but it tends to get pretty sandy in the summer

basically in the summer i'm going dh racing at mount hood, oregon, and then riding the skatepark and bmx track in addition to wakeboarding on the columbia river.

i like it here, but i'm only 16 if that makes any difference

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
oh yeah and my dad is the hanford project office manager for EPA and he is confident that it's safe here and the workers rarely ever have problems with the waste--you should be more worried about snakes and scorpions :rolleyes:

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
Checked out the skatepark... at least that gives me hope. I just picked up Zane's EBCO, and I have been enjoying the skatepark in Corvallis quite a bit. A chance to ride a bigger, better skatepark is always good.

Thanks.

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
allsk8sno said:
i was there earlier today for their opening and damn i want to rip it up on a hardtail there...maybe even my skateboard!!
really? i was there too riding my p.2 w/ a black fox shirt. u shoulda stayed longers cuz the loshas played and they were awesome!

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
sam_little said:
Checked out the skatepark... at least that gives me hope. I just picked up Zane's EBCO, and I have been enjoying the skatepark in Corvallis quite a bit. A chance to ride a bigger, better skatepark is always good.

Thanks.
yeah EBCO's are nice. its a pretty bike-friendly park w/ the exception of a few skater @$$holes every now and then. but there's always some really good guys riding there, pretty impressive to watch.