Quantcast

Locking up shovels/tools at your trails?

paull105

Chimp
Mar 10, 2014
Hey guys I'm wondering how you go about locking up your shovels so they don't get stolen from your trails?
Can anyone share some wisdom?
My long handle shovel doesn't have a handle loop to go through with a cable/chain.
I've got some metal cables with a padlock.

paull105

Chimp
Mar 10, 2014
Yeah that will work but it was my last option, not sure if I have a padlock long enough and I don't know how well the wooden handle will hold up to being drilled, since it's a $20 shovel.

Mutt

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Lost on Long Island
The best I've seen is a locker or metal cabinet dug in to the ground away from the main thoroughfares and then locked up.

We have contemplated this a number of times but have taken to just hiding our good shovels (under tarps or slightly out of the way and out of sight) and leaving the inevitably junky, bent, cracked, and broken shovels and tools more visible from our drop in or hang out spot. The junk tools periodically take the walk to wherever stolen trail tools go and the better ones seem to stay longer.

The locking up of the tool directly (drilled handle etc) seems to make sense, but realistically, I would guess that it might have the opposite effect of presenting a target or challenge to the would-be tool thief or jack-azz. Similarly, if you just hide all the tools, that same person knows that you must have tools there somewhere, so they go looking.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
We've got a couple of jobsite boxes chained and padlocked to trees that have a second padlock securing them closed. Keeps the tools dry and secure.

paull105

Chimp
Mar 10, 2014
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I ended up drilling a hole through the wooden handle and putting a stainless steel semi circle in so the locking cable can go through it. The loop is strong enough that I had to use a hammer to bend it in there so someone won't be able to bend it out by hand. It's in the middle of the handle so it hardly gets in the way.

Also here's the spot I'm working with, it aint much but i've only been digging again for a week now and its nice hard clay I use.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I'd imagine that handle will break where you drilled it, eventually.

We dig a hole, build a box and bury it. A steel lid on top keeps out the rif-raf.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Yeah if it's Chinese wood I give that shovel 5 minutes, I'd at least pour some epoxy FG resin in it.

I got given a Chinese shovel and it lasted 5 minutes of simple work, Nupla handles FTW!

I'm pretty sure I've just lost $150 worth of tools at my local trails, either that or I have that forgetful thing I can't remember the name of.

paull105

Chimp
Mar 10, 2014
Yeah I wish the hole I drilled was a bit smaller now but it's been fine so far so fingers crossed.
I live in Australia so can anyone recommend good shovels if this one dies?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Yeah dude, the best shovel made locally is a Cyclone deep hole shovel, they are a post hole shovel with a bit less angle at the head. If you prefer a shovel with a bit more angle they do an awesome one with a fibreglass handle it's a trade quality unit, I had the previous fibreglass handled one and the head is so worn it's almost useless but the handle is perfect after 10 or so years of on and off digging.

Stay away from Spear and Jackson, Gardenmaster or any timber handled shovel that feel freakishly light, they will use Chinese timber which doesn't last.

or this which may actually be better for packing DJs with the extra angle?(I fix DH stuff)-

If they are too expensive grab a shovel that has a supporting ring around the head where the handle goes in, if they don't have that they usually spread and **** the handle and head.

EDIT, I'm an idiot, both shovels above are essentially the same with different handles they are post hole shovels the one with less kick is a deep hole shovel, it's on the site.

Last edited:

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
It looks like you're digging in a well populated/open area?

Move further into the woods/away from humans.

paull105

Chimp
Mar 10, 2014
Thanks for the shovel advice!
I wanted the extra security of hiding + being locked up so I'm happy.
The spot isn't secluded but it's been there for years and I've had places far into the woods flattened, so it's actually pretty safe.
Spent about 2 hours today rebuilding the first up ramp with clay so it'll be way more solid. Once I finish that and the lander it's onto the right hand berm with a roller or two connected.

stino

Monkey
Jul 14, 2002
belgium
I normally drill a hole in the shovel itself, not in the handle. Also has been said but you really want to keep your tools clear from rain and too much moisture.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
If you're going to drill a hole through it, why not get some carbide or titanium bits and drill a hole through the head of the shovel instead of the handle. put it in the top corner or someplace where it won't structurally weaken it and make it big enough to pass the hasp of a small padlock through.

paull105

Chimp
Mar 10, 2014
I really should have drilled the head instead of the handle, but it's been holding up fine especially for a $20 shovel. I am making sure not to pull back much on tough clumps of dirt though.