Quantcast

Loctite removal solvent?

Haitiracers

Chimp
May 9, 2005
Reading, PA
Is there such a thing? I overdid it a bit on my reach adjustment bolt on my Hayes brakes and now the lever sticks pretty bad. Its blue loctite and I can't heat it up or anything because of all the rubber.

Does anyone know of a solvent to get this stuff outta there?

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
According to the loctite site:

Blue: Can be removed with hand tools
Red: Apply heat to remove
Green: Apply heat to remove

The heat may kill your seals. I'm unsure of a solvent but I would be weary of using it. I wouldn't want to damage your seals as well.

Do the soldering iron technique as mentioned above but don't scorch the thing. Just get it hot enough and then crank the bolt loose.

Haitiracers

Chimp
May 9, 2005
Reading, PA
I tried the soldering iron and it just doesn't seem to get it out of there. Thanks for the idea though.

I'm going to try some acetone later today, we'll see.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
I have to deal with loctite and small fasteners all the friggin time with import cars. I use a hammer operated impact driver. They're available at most hardware stores. You just have to buy a hex bit to fit your fastener. I've used this on rotor bolts too. If you have a Harbor Freight in your area, they're $5-$10

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Heat gun.

Red loctite needs heat in excess of 400 F but blue loctite will loosen with much less.

I had to once rebuild a screen printing press that my boss had assembled with red loctite. Approx 250 fasteners that needed to be heated up and broke free. That was a fun week.

A heat gun or your girlfriend's hair dryer should break the hold on the blue. Clean with acetone or MEK.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I had to once rebuild a screen printing press that my boss had assembled with red loctite. Approx 250 fasteners that needed to be heated up and broke free. That was a fun week.
Did you beat your boss over the head with some part of the press? I would have been tempted.

We had some dumbass come up to the shop with a wheel that he couldn't remove the rotor from. Turns out he'd used red loctite on ti rotor bolts. He was pissed that we had to destroy the bolts to get the damn thing apart. :disgust1: My boss more or less told him to stuff it.

Haitiracers

Chimp
May 9, 2005
Reading, PA

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
if it is Hayes you can just remove the bolt holding the lever on, and turn the lever to unscrew the barrel nut