Quantcast

Loki wishes it was his day GMT

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
you're all winners in my book

woke up early to get a bike ride in after the heat broke...unfortunately my guts are still in disarray. I guess it was not the whiskey but something else that tore me up. Time for some pepto and sadness.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Dropped new doggo off at daycare. It seems a day of romping around there knocks her out for two days. Money well spent!

Yesterday I watched the cinematic masterpiece that is Willy's Wonderland. Picture Nicolas Cage fighting a bunch of murderous Chuck E. Cheese type animatronics, with lots of over the top comedic gore. Good times. Oddly enough Cage does not speak a single word the entire movie. Speaking of Nicolas Cage gore movies, I still want to see Mandy once it pops up for free on one of my streaming services.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Speaking of Nicolas Cage gore movies, I still want to see Mandy once it pops up for free on one of my streaming services.
Man, I "got" what they were trying to do in that movie, I swear, and still found it to be a serious piece of tedium.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Hello !
Back in Coloradoland, thank dogs. Rural deep south VA is full of ticks and rebels.
Work and hopefully a ride later, I guess I should check the weather.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
come on, y'all, Face/Off is a classic

I am working today. Actually in the main reading room for once since it's day 1 with new residents and fellows and they thus will be 100% clueless as to day to day operations.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005

His best work was his early work...

Wingnut

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2003
Sorry, I'm Canadian ..sorry...
Here.

Working, at least it's a tollerable temp so far, supposed to be on the downslope of the high pressure inferno dome..

Long weekend will be nice...

Happy Canada Day!!
It's oddly dull to say that these days.... Official Mask-off day!

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
On the subject of Nicolas Cage, I have a pair of five (?) year old Smith glasses that I use for bike rides, particularly when riding my tri bike because there is no frame to obstruct my view. Well I broke one of the arms swapping out lenses, so I asked Smith if I could buy a new arm and they said no but sent me a $200 credit for the glasses. Customer service...THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
On the subject of Nicolas Cage, I have a pair of five (?) year old Smith glasses that I use for bike rides, particularly when riding my tri bike because there is no frame to obstruct my view. Well I broke one of the arms swapping out lenses, so I asked Smith if I could buy a new arm and they said no but sent me a $200 credit for the glasses. Customer service...THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT.
WTF, they've always ignored me when I've asked for the ability to buy a new arm or new nosepiece.

But I still used to like the frameless lenses. But now I'm old and need prescriptions and you can't get that with the wraparounds without inserts.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Smith has credited me twice over the years; once for a decade old pair of Sliders for which they couldn't sell me a spare part, and again for a relatively new pair with torn rubber. Both times more than enough to replace with a current, new pair. Smith FTW.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Can someone explain the thread title? :confused:

Three days of rain, cold and wind ahead. Can we find some middle ground between 60F and 95F, please?

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Plus the Loki episode last night was good

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Plus the Loki episode last night was good
Hey, spoiler warning. :mad:

$200 Smith credit spent! Well, only $181 of it on account of the pair I bought was on sale. Cripes, they have NOTHING in stock with a clear lens, so I'll need to go through a third party for the extra lens.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Smith has credited me twice over the years; once for a decade old pair of Sliders for which they couldn't sell me a spare part, and again for a relatively new pair with torn rubber. Both times more than enough to replace with a current, new pair. Smith FTW.
Got a free pair of goggles last winter when the foam on my 5 season old goggles broke down.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
My neighbor kills me. His daughters are Haley's best friends. They are one year younger and older than her. The younger one is on Haley's 20" BMX bike, because she had a POS 16" bike that needed to be up-sized when Haley bumped to 24". Haley has now transitioned to 26", so the 24" is available.

I didn't want to give her the bike as-is, since it's a $1300 bike, but I have all the original parts still. The original setup is 6-speed on a freewheel. We pillaged the shifters for a friend's son, so I need $100 to swap the drivetrain back to 7-speed (cassette, chain, shifter, and derailleur) and she's rolling. I have a less expensive fork, good v-brakes (XT), carbon bars, etc that have been sitting in my parts bin for 2yrs doing nothing (ie free) and never will. With this build, it literally costs me $0 plus some labor.

Dad is saying "we'll just get her a Walmart bike; it's fine". I can get her a very nice (and upgraded) Giant for literally $100. The Walmart bike will cost $200. I just need it back at the end so I can rebuild it for Hannah. He threw away the last bikes, so it's not like he's recouping cash.

The Walmart bikes also make it very hard for the girls to ride with Haley, since they can't keep up when it gets hilly or go onto dirt (ie everything local). So when Haley wants to take the girls out riding with us, they can't come, because they can't ride their bikes - they are too heavy to ride and brakes are shit. If they end up not taking it for whatever reason, I'll ask the neighbor down the street. His daughter is Haley's age, but still on 20". She'd ride Haley's 24" for a while and $100 is nothing when it gets his daughter a nice bike to ride.

Me = head+wall

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Just give it to him. It’s literally only $100 and your girl’s friend stuff is worth way more than that.

Also: Does the Dad understand the bike capability gap?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Weather turning it on today after the storm. Midwinter belter — 12 whole °C — ground is very wet still though:

CE0DA450-ECBF-438E-A6F1-093F76E888EC.jpeg