Quantcast

LOL! Next.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Well, here we go again.

http://www.velonews.com/tour2007/news/articles/12851.0.html

A former amateur mountain-bike racer alleged Thursday that Tour de France yellow jersey holder Michael Rasmussen (Rabobank) attempted to trick him into carrying illegal doping products to Europe in 2002.

Whitney Richards, 31, a one-time Colorado-based cross-country racer, told VeloNews Thursday that in March of 2002, Rasmussen asked him to transport a box containing cycling shoes. But the shoebox, according to Richards, actually contained bags of an American-made human blood substitute. None of the information Richards provided VeloNews involves allegations of current doping.

Asked about the charges at a post-race press conference following the Tour's 12th stage on Friday, Rasmussen said he was familiar with Richards' name but declined to comment further on the allegations.

"I cannot confirm any of that. I do know the name," Rasmussen said.

Rasmussen answered one more question and then exited the pressroom at the finish line in Castres.

The allegations come on the heels of a decision by the Danish Cycling Federation to exclude the Rabobank rider from that country's world championship and Olympic teams, citing a dispute over Rasmussen's failure to notify the agency's anti-doping officials about his whereabouts in the months leading to the Tour.

Richards said he decided to go public with his allegations five years after he heard the Tour leader comment on doping in the sport, promising that cycling fans could "trust me."

Richards said he and Rasmussen developed a friendship when the Dane came to the U.S. to prepare for the 2001 world mountain-bike championships in Vail. Rasmussen won the world cross-country title in 1999, then started his transition to road racing in 2001 when he signed a stagiaire contract with CSC.

That friendship, said Richards, continued for several months until the American moved to Italy to live with his girlfriend in March of 2002.

Rasmussen was also living in Italy at the time, and according to Richards, Rasmussen asked that Richards bring over a pair of cycling shoes he had left in the United States. Richards agreed and two days prior to his departure, a mutual friend delivered a box purportedly containing the forgotten cycling shoes.

In an effort to fit all his belongings in his luggage, Richards opened the box to discard it and just bring the shoes ¬ he said he then discovered the bags. Richards said he immediately called a friend - a PhD. physiologist - to help him decide what to do.

"I was blown away," Richards told VeloNews. "This wasn't a pair of SIDIs... it was frickin' dog medicine or something."

That friend, Taro Smith, PhD., confirmed Richards' recollection of the incident.

"I came to his house to figure out what was in the package," Smith told VeloNews on Friday. "The box was packed full of silver Mylar packages labeled with 'Biopure.' Once you opened them there were clear plastic IV sets with what looked like blood inside. The box was packed full of these. That's all I know. I don't have first-hand knowledge of where they came from or who delivered them to Whitney, but I do know what was in the box."

Richards and Smith decided to cut open the bags and pour the contents down the sink.

"There was no way that I would carry that on to an airplane or carry that through customs for anyone," said Richards.

According to labels, the bags were filled with a hemoglobin-based oxygen carrier (HBOC) known as Hemopure, manufactured by the U.S.-based Biopure Corporation. The product is made from hemoglobin molecules that have been removed from the red cells of cow's blood. Originally designed as an emergency blood substitute that requires no refrigeration, Hemopure has only been approved for human use in South Africa. U.S. clinical trials were recently suspended over safety concerns, but a similar product is currently used for veterinary purposes.

Endurance athletes were said to be using the product as a substitute for blood-doping or EPO use, though no one has ever been convicted of using Hemopure or other HBOCs. Its use is banned under the World Anti-Doping Code and the World Anti-Doping Agency developed a low-cost screening test in 2004.

A few weeks later when Richards arrived in Italy, he confronted Rasmussen about the package and its contents. He claims Rasmussen admitted it was poor judgment, but then asked Richards what he had done with the hemoglobin substitute. Richards said Rasmussen became very upset when Richards explained he had disposed of it, asking him if he had "any idea how much that **** cost?"

"[Then Rasmussen] stormed upstairs...and I decided at that point to just go to the train station and go home," Richards recalled. "Really, he's lucky I didn't follow him upstairs and punch him in the face right then and there."

"The nerve of the guy," Richards added. "Not only is he a drug cheat, but he didn't give a damn about anybody else. He was willing to put me out there to carry that crap through customs... into Italy at a time when they were investigating Dr. [Michele] Ferrari and people were lobbing accusations at Lance Armstrong. Think about what it would have been like for Italian customs to catch an American with a bunch of bike gear and cows blood at the border."

Richards was offended, so much so that he contacted VeloNews later that same year. However, he asked that the conversation be off-the-record, declining to be named and asking that Rasmussen also not be mentioned in any way that he might be recognized. Because of those restrictions, VeloNews did not publish his story.

Several years later, after being put in contact with Sunday Times of London reporter David Walsh, Richards again offered details of the story, but continued to insist that neither he nor Rasmussen be identified.

"I really just wanted someone to know," said Richards. "But I didn't exactly know how they might use the information. I didn't feel comfortable going totally public with this because I knew his girlfriend ¬ now his wife ¬ and I didn't see a reason to bring her into it. My friends who were pro mountain-bike racers have always told me I should, because it's guys like that who are ruining their careers by cheating. Still, it's not a decision you make lightly."

Walsh opted to use the story as an anecdote in his recently released book, "From Lance to Landis," but respected Richards' insistence that both parties remain anonymous.

Indeed, that's where the story would have stopped, except that Rasmussen moved into the yellow jersey at the Tour de France on Sunday, after an impressive solo ride to Tignes. Richards said that it wasn't the stage victory or even the yellow jersey that prompted him to go public with his story.

Richards said he finally decided to go public with his story following Rasmussen's comments about doping during the 2007 Tour's first rest day, last Monday.

"[Rasmussen has] won Tour stages before," Richards said. "It's not that. It was the press conference on Monday that got to me. Someone asked him about Bjarne Riis' involvement with drugs and he went on about how he's clean and then added, ‘You can trust me.' That's what set me off."

Richards said he finds it offensive that a rider he knows "for sure is mixed up with doping" is leading the Tour de France when the race is fighting for its survival.

"Look at what the Tour has gone through this past year," Richards said. "Ullrich, Basso and [Operación] Puerto last year, and the Telekom confessions this year. Riders are putting their salaries and their careers on the line to help convince people cycling is clean and this guy gets up and tells people, ‘You can trust me,' something I know for a fact is not true. The stupidity, the arrogance, the hubris... it's incomprehensible. Someone needs to know about this."

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I love Rasmussen's downplay of it: "I know the name."
If someone said some crap like that and it wasnt true I would have flipped out. Press be damned... I would have called the guy out as a liar and been talking law suits and shotguns. Instead Rass looked like he was about to puke during the interview, and all he has to say is, I know the name?

Golgi verdict = :bonk:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Seems kind of a big tale to just make up
I have to agree with the others, he told a bunch of people years ago and only now identified the culprit. He could have fabricated it back then but why? Plus he has a doctor corroborating the story...

Moral: Don't burn bridges on your way up the ladder.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
If someone said some crap like that and it wasnt true I would have flipped out. Press be damned... I would have called the guy out as a liar and been talking law suits and shotguns. Instead Rass looked like he was about to puke during the interview, and all he has to say is, I know the name?

Golgi verdict = :bonk:
Ah yes, the "girlfriend claiming I've cheated" reaction. If it's a lie, and it always is in my case, my reaction pretty much mimics the above.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
I have to agree with the others, he told a bunch of people years ago and only now identified the culprit. He could have fabricated it back then but why? Plus he has a doctor corroborating the story...

Moral: Don't burn bridges on your way up the ladder.
Yes, I agree as well. My wording made it sound as if I thought this guy was a liar. What I meant to say was the story is a bit too big, intricate, etc, to be made up; I'm pretty sure it's true.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Still, it doesn't mean he is still doping. How do you feel about that? Do prior offenses matter as much at what is happening now? There have to be a lot of riders who doped in the past but are now clean. At this point do we have to start cutting a little slack?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Who cares? I'm tired of dopers, and I'm tired of has beens who come out of the woodwork after the fact to tattle. Funny how they never had the balls to do it at the time, eh?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Still, it doesn't mean he is still doping. How do you feel about that? Do prior offenses matter as much at what is happening now? There have to be a lot of riders who doped in the past but are now clean. At this point do we have to start cutting a little slack?
When there is a certainty that all the top competitors are clean, then we should lighten up on the riders. But I have serious doubts that the top 10 riders are dope-free.

Take Vinokourov, who is way behind due to an accident. One friend who is a top domestic pro pointed out that Vino changed teams about the same time T-Mobile instituted more serious doping controls. Coincidence?

I think there is a lot of circumstancial evidence and it gets worse every day.

the F.H.B

Monkey
Jun 2, 2006
Syd, Australia
I think this period in cycling history will be known as the witch hunts.
Simple fact is guys like Vino, Rassmussen etc have not been caught, ever, for doping!
If I was a pro rider and some one said that **** about me I'd be sueing their asses for defamation. It is not the riders giving the sport a bad name for doping now, it is the federations and chumps like this ex-pro who go to the media and defame the athletes.
Why would this ex-pro go to the media now and sell his story? oh yeah, thats the word isnt it "sell"! The guy is a flea, sucking blood out of the sport he used to compete in. If he really cared about doping he had plenty of time over the last 6 years to tell his story to the proper athories. Instead he waits till Rassmussen is at the height of his powers then sells his story. Maggot.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
I think this period in cycling history will be known as the witch hunts.
Simple fact is guys like Vino, Rassmussen etc have not been caught, ever, for doping!
If I was a pro rider and some one said that **** about me I'd be sueing their asses for defamation. It is not the riders giving the sport a bad name for doping now, it is the federations and chumps like this ex-pro who go to the media and defame the athletes.
Why would this ex-pro go to the media now and sell his story? oh yeah, thats the word isnt it "sell"! The guy is a flea, sucking blood out of the sport he used to compete in. If he really cared about doping he had plenty of time over the last 6 years to tell his story to the proper athories. Instead he waits till Rassmussen is at the height of his powers then sells his story. Maggot.
I don't remember reading that about guy ever being pro. He went to the media when it happened but remained anonymous, then when Rasmussen said people could trust him, it pissed the guy off and he went public with it.

You'd think that if it weren't true, Rasmssen would be bringing on a lawsuit. Instead, he "knows the name."

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
I have no idea what he got paid, but by going to the media he will get offered money for his story, Rassmussen is front page sports press at the moment and therefore people will pay for a scoop.
Making the assumption that he's getting rich off this story might be just going a little far. Let's cut down the accusations until we know exact figures and dollar amounts. Also, how much money can he expect when he speaks with the UCI?

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction

CARNOUSTIE, Scotland (AP) — Gary Player put steroids at the forefront of the British Open on Wednesday, saying golf has its head buried in a bunker if it thinks the sport is clean and he knows of one player using performance-enhancing drugs.

The nine-time major champion urged golf organizations to start random testing.

"It's absolutely essential that we do that," Player said at Carnoustie, where he won the British Open in 1968. "We're dreaming if we think it's not going to come into golf."

Player says it already has.

"Whether it's HGH, whether it's Creatine or whether it's steroids, I know for a fact that some golfers are doing it," he said.

Asked how he knew for certain, he said one golfer told him.

"I took an oath prior to him telling me — I won't tell you where — but he told me what he did, and I could see this massive change in him," Player said. "And somebody else told me something, that I also promised I wouldn't tell, that verified others had done it."

The cryptic accusation put the Royal & Ancient Golf Club on the defensive over why it does not have drug testing at the British Open, with chief executive Peter Dawson being asked whether he was concerned that its winner could be using steroids.

"I don't know if Gary Player is right about golfers being on drugs, frankly, so I really can't comment," Dawson said. "One thing I do know is that we're not drug testing here at the Open championship this week, so just how that would be identified, I'm not sure."

The R&A and the USGA used drug testing for the first time last November at the World Amateur Team Championship in South Africa, where all 12 samples came back negative.

The LPGA Tour has said it will start drug testing next year and recently disclosed a list of banned substances to its players. The European Tour and the PGA Tour are working on drug policies, which PGA Tour commissioner Tim Finchem said likely would lead to a testing program, although its first step is developing a list of drugs that would be banned.

Player did not say when this conversation with the purported steroid user took place, nor did he say whether he shared this information with tour officials.