Quantcast

loloking at anew fork need advice

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
If it's going on a 20 lb. bike, look at a SID Race. The Race is lighter than the Team & W/C but lacks a lockout, which you would me missing anyway with the Skareb. 'Zokes aren't usually light.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
Sven tha Viking said:
delete this thread, recreate it with no spelling errors. expand on what you want the fork for, what your riding style is, etc. how much do you wiegh, what bike is it going on, that sort of stuff.
It's going on a 20lb. bike. That narrows it down a lot.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
The manitou is light enough and not as noodly as an SID.

I have a Zoke Marathon hanging off my bike and its 20-21 lbs. Then again, its an 02 when they were fairly light (3.2lbs). The new Marathon Race forks would be light enough, but I don't think it would fit in your budget if you were looking at an MX Comp 105.

quote; delete this thread, recreate it with no spelling errors. expand on what you want the fork for, what your riding style is, etc. how much do you wiegh, what bike is it going on, that sort of stuff. (ven the viking)

i'm dislexic. like i said it is for a twnty lb. bike and i dont want to sacrafice any weight.

i dont like rock shox. so the sid is out.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
If you're not worried about budget, get a Marzocchi Marathon Race or Fox F80X. Both top the Manitou and Rockshox on all counts...

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
caputo1989 said:
quote; delete this thread, recreate it with no spelling errors. expand on what you want the fork for, what your riding style is, etc. how much do you wiegh, what bike is it going on, that sort of stuff. (ven the viking)

i'm dislexic. like i said it is for a twnty lb. bike and i dont want to sacrafice any weight.

i dont like rock shox. so the sid is out.
If you don't want to sacrifice any weight, then why would you even consider that 'Zoke? The Marathon may be okay, but your best bet would be Manitou. Fox is nice, but looking at how you're saying you don't want to sacr. any weight, the F80X weight 3.7lbs.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
The new 2005 Marathon Races are supposedly quite light (3 lb range), and last check an f80x is in at around 3.5...anything under 3.5 should be able to keep your bike around 20 if you have the right parts build.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
xbluethunderx said:
The new 2005 Marathon Races are supposedly quite light (3 lb range), and last check an f80x is in at around 3.5...anything under 3.5 should be able to keep your bike around 20 if you have the right parts build.
Fox's claims seem to be on the light side...JensonUSA weighs their stuff and they're saying it's 3.7.

J

JRB

I would look into the Marathon Race. If you go with a manitou, you can look into SPV and still be under 3.5 pounds. I would look into the RS Reba, too. It is stupid to say you hate RS and exclude them. They make good stuff if you take care of it. The new stuff gets great props from most. I haven't tried it, but have had good luck.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
go here for real world weights.

Depending on which version of the forks you are looking at, the Skareb is at least 100g lighter than the F80X and roughly 50g lighter than the Marathon Race. And I've got to think that any of these 3 would be fine.

i have an old stumpy pro ht with raceface, xtr, cross max, carbon bar w/ a carbon road stem. the fork im replacing is a manitou marz with the carbon arch. the stickers are ling gone so i cant tell what it is exacty any more. i just want more travle because i am also a dh rider and more the better though i want a fork that weighs around 3 lbs.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Most travel in a 3lb range you could get would be 100mm...

Your best options here:

-Buy a Manitou Skareb with 100mm of travel

-Buy my Marathon :p

J

JRB

I don't think they make a 4" fork that weighs 3 pounds. Julie's 100mm Skareb Platinum is nearly 3.5 pounds.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Seriously? I thought they came in at around 3.2.

Oh well. Guess you'll just have to buy my fork...

*Points at sig*

:p

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Weight weenies saaays:

2002 Marathon S 100 mm 2002 1 1/8" 3.39 lbs uncut, avrg (1519/1535/1540/1557)

2004 Manitou Skareb Super 100 mm 2004 1 1/8" 3.33 lbs cut 200 mm Al steerer, no boss version

J

JRB

My marathon weighed 3.4 pounds. I guess the Skareb is actually just a touch under 3.4. That is closer to 3.5 than 3 to me though. Either one is nice. If money were not an object in consideration, I would consider the Reba.