Quantcast

Long bikes are... bad???

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Enduro Mag is usually meh with it's tests but this is interesting and it kinda falls in line with what I noticed when looking for a bike this season and testing a few ones:

Essentially too long + too wide bars = bad. I Think the too long part is what made Poole so angry at Steve from Vorsprung in the first place too. Noticed the same thing. Spacers + Wide Bar + Bigger of the 2 sizes (I'm in between M/L) = I literally stopped moving around the bike and one guide I was riding with noticed that. I was feeling weird when riding on that bike so it made sense even if I felt like it was my fault (yaay Catholic upbringing Guilt even reaches my when biking)

dovbush66

Monkey
Aug 27, 2018
Ireland
Im liking shorter and tall bars on long bikes. 480 reach frame and 50mm riser bar cut down to 760mm. feels pretty mint so far!

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Short bike more work in rough fast
Long bike more work in turnz

Less traction less fast short bike maybe faster
Mega traction more fast long bike maybe faster

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I'm going longer for my next bike for sure. Maybe its my weird Aussie hillbilly corgi body dimensions, but i really do feel i've been riding bikes a size too small for 20 years. The runs i've done on borrowed bikes in the last few months have been eye opening in terms of stability and traction. I'm getting pretty close to pulling the pin on racing (at least in any semi-serious sense) but I'm still enjoying punching laps. And the level of forgiveness and speed carry capabilities of the longer reach frames is mental.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I am kind of wondering what the combination of long/slack geometry and 26" wheels would do.
Laurie Greenland mentioned in an interview some time ago that when MS Mondraker were testing the 29 vs 27.5 bikes he brought his, at the time, 1-2 year old 26 and had consistently the fastest times on it.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Article advocates shorter bikes and narrow bars, but also longer travel, strong wheels, and thick casings.
I've been working on something quite similar:

Hopefully @toodles doesn't tell anyone that I actually owned like 3 of these things

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
The new geo has really improved life for tall/big ape index riders, but has made things a little more difficult for people between sizes.
It totally hasn't made sizing difficult for riders inbetween sizes. It's given them (and tall riders) true choice. Especially as shandover/seat tube height has reduced across the board. along with huge availability of dropper posts in any length /drop you could dream of.
The flip side if thus is that it has produced a genuine difficulty in finding genuinely short reach bikes for small riders (or if riding smaller bikes is just your bag). a modern small is 40mm longer than a 26" small from 7years back. Folk forget far too quickly that those shorter bikes were still actually fun to ride. Short riders no longer have any choice but to ride long bikes. And it shows in riding style on the trails.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Article advocates shorter bikes and narrow bars, but also longer travel, strong wheels, and thick casings.

Hopefully @toodles doesn't tell anyone that I actually owned like 3 of these things
You are such a fashion victim with your mullet. ;) :D

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009

Wow, and you had a forward offset post before Sandwich!

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
The new geo has really improved life for tall/big ape index riders, but has made things a little more difficult for people between sizes.
I'd argue it has made things confusing for people in between sizes. I was always between M and L and M felt cramped so I opted for Larges but now it seems no longer the smartest option.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Short bike more work in rough fast
Long bike more work in turnz

Less traction less fast short bike maybe faster
Mega traction more fast long bike maybe faster
If you go too long even in the fast it's a problem. You don't want extreme body movement when going really fast.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I'm going longer for my next bike for sure. Maybe its my weird Aussie hillbilly corgi body dimensions, but i really do feel i've been riding bikes a size too small for 20 years. The runs i've done on borrowed bikes in the last few months have been eye opening in terms of stability and traction. I'm getting pretty close to pulling the pin on racing (at least in any semi-serious sense) but I'm still enjoying punching laps. And the level of forgiveness and speed carry capabilities of the longer reach frames is mental.
Yeah but 2020 Medium size is longer than 2014 Large so you can go longer while actually going down sizes let alone keeping the size at the same time.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Clue #1:it's no longer 2014
Clue #2: you're no longer even looking at bikes with the same sized wheels as 2014 nevermind geometry
Answer: Look at 2020 sizing when buying a 2020 bike ;)

Even in 2014 none of us blindly choose our expensive mtb frame size based on the letter its manufacturer chose to indicate it's sizing alone. Or at least I hope you didn't.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
...have been eye opening in terms of stability and traction. And the level of forgiveness and speed carry capabilities of the longer reach frames is mental.
this. constantly amazed how much added grip & stability the new bike generates. while still being fun, tossible, and well capable in tight jank. does indeed feel like i've been riding bikes too small all my life, and finally got something that properly fits (coming from a 6 footer that typically rides large or extra large bikes). it's rad.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
It totally hasn't made sizing difficult for riders inbetween sizes. ....... Short riders no longer have any choice but to ride long bikes. And it shows in riding style on the trails.
you are contradicting yourself.
i find it harder to be super playful at slow speeds, but way faster overall.
Tradeoffs.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
What surprised me was that they're actually not that bad in the tight stuff (up until you're trying to ride northshore or something silly). If anything, the increased stability makes it possible to really exaggerate how much you throw the bike around through tighter sections without it getting carried away. Each to their own of course, if I was riding DJs all day I wouldn't bother with longer bikes but I'm keen to experiment a bit for my next build and try something bigger.

When i went from a medium to a large DH bike I kinda felt like an idiot for never trying a larger bike seriously previously.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
This was already discussed in another thread. Now, let's all watch norbar try to make a decision for the next 3 years. Btw, ever sell that DH bike?!

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
I felt hey didn't really advocate going back to shorter bikes but said that for the average 180cm rider around 460 to 470mm reach seems to be the sweet spot. But then these dudes don't seem to be that lanky with long arms and all that. I just think it's difficult if you ride a 470mm reach now and wonder how long your next bike should be. Because now the reach numbers seem to be a bit over the place. Specialized says I should ride 500mm but most brands seem to stick with 470mm.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Clue #1:it's no longer 2014
Clue #2: you're no longer even looking at bikes with the same sized wheels as 2014 nevermind geometry
Answer: Look at 2020 sizing when buying a 2020 bike ;)

Even in 2014 none of us blindly choose our expensive mtb frame size based on the letter its manufacturer chose to indicate it's sizing alone. Or at least I hope you didn't.
2020 sizing still puts me in between sizes. Some Rental bikes with very similar reach numbers felt veeeeeeeeery different just because the cockpit was different.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
What surprised me was that they're actually not that bad in the tight stuff (up until you're trying to ride northshore or something silly). If anything, the increased stability makes it possible to really exaggerate how much you throw the bike around through tighter sections without it getting carried away. Each to their own of course, if I was riding DJs all day I wouldn't bother with longer bikes but I'm keen to experiment a bit for my next build and try something bigger.

When i went from a medium to a large DH bike I kinda felt like an idiot for never trying a larger bike seriously previously.
Did you go from medium to large but both were same sizing or oldschool short medium to newschool uber long large where a medium would have been way longer anyway.?

This was already discussed in another thread. Now, let's all watch norbar try to make a decision for the next 3 years. Btw, ever sell that DH bike?!
This article wasn't. What was discussed was my indecisiveness. My GF is starting a business and not earning any money. Me being the sole provider is a good reason not to spend money, especially with 2 mortgages. Well that and my country winning covid bingo so I have literally zero reasons to hurry.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
2020 sizing still puts me in between sizes.
No it doesn't mate.
sizing is just a guide.

Only YOU can put yourself between manufacturers recommended sizes.

you need to stop thinking about bikes as "small", "medium" and "large" etc. and just use common sense and your own personal preference when you look at various bikes geometry charts. You're not new at bikes!

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
No it doesn't mate.
sizing is just a guide.

Only YOU can put yourself between manufacturers recommended sizes.

you need to stop thinking about bikes as "small", "medium" and "large" etc. and just use common sense and your own personal preference when you look at various bikes geometry charts. You're not new at bikes!
I'm not saying I'm only using the size guide from MFG's. Just being anal for no reason. Though yeah with bikes growing fast and today's bikes having more sizing variety/spread it's harder to find a benchmark for what works.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
oh, bullshit. you can only do so much with stem length, handlbar roll, stem spacers, and seatposts. otherwise they wouldnt even MAKE different sizes.
I'm pretty sure that's not the point. The point is to not go blindly with long bars but to make them work with frame sizes.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
ridemonkey, help me out

last mtb i bought was in 2011, a medium pitch pro, running it with a 45mm stem and 760mm bars:

my gravel bike right now is a 381mm reach bike with a 90mm stem and dropbars with 70mm reach and a 73° seat angle

with 184cm length and 88cm inseam, i‘m looking right now at bikes in 470/480 range. they should still feel less stretched out with a 35mm stem than on my gravel bike, right?

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Did you go from medium to large but both were same sizing or oldschool short medium to newschool uber long large where a medium would have been way longer anyway.?
I went from a medium Gambler to a Large in the 26" size. They were both pretty short anyway. I think the Large mighta been 440mm reach?

My current Enduro bike is 450mm reach M 27.5 Patrol and I've been enjoying stealing a couple of bikes with a 468mm and 485mm reach lately. Both are 29ers as well which further varies things. I think a track would have to be pretty friggen tight for the smaller bike to have a noticeable advantage over the others.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
ridemonkey, help me out

last mtb i bought was in 2011, a medium pitch pro, running it with a 45mm stem and 760mm bars:

my gravel bike right now is a 381mm reach bike with a 90mm stem and dropbars with 70mm reach and a 73° seat angle

with 184cm length and 88cm inseam, i‘m looking right now at bikes in 470/480 range. they should still feel less stretched out with a 35mm stem than on my gravel bike, right?
Why the hell are you comparing mtb sizing with roadbike sizing.
Have you gone full Johnny T and run drop bars on your Enduro bike?