Quantcast

Long bikes are... bad???

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
What in the hell is this?

As someone who was bmx only untill 08 or so I never saw any of the aforementioned cranks.
Seeing the twisted Boones for the first time I thought wow that's a neat looking piece of mill work. Then I thought... hmm I'd have bloody ankles in like 12 seconds.....
either something to smoke the herb or a musical instrument

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Hell no ! I work in precious metals only for wedding bands.

DO NOT BUY ANY BANDS THAT ARE HARDER THAN THE CUTTING TOOLS USED IN EMERGENCY ROOMS !

Titanium and tungsten steel are two of those you should avoid.
Do you really think I weigh myself down with gold after spending all this money on a fancy bike with Ti screws all over?
Ti ring or GTFO, or maybe carbon, but then there is the sunlight issue.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
After my little incident with the cactus spine going all the way through my finger above the ring, I am done wearing metal rings while riding. Maybe silicone.
enso

It's what I wear when riding, hiking, working etc

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
What in the hell is this?

As someone who was bmx only untill 08 or so I never saw any of the aforementioned cranks.
Seeing the twisted Boones for the first time I thought wow that's a neat looking piece of mill work. Then I thought... hmm I'd have bloody ankles in like 12 seconds.....
Ocarina from Zelda

\nerd

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
For a wedding ring, I find an o ring from an adjustable seatpost works well.

Cheap, soft and flexible. Just like me!

Full disclosure, the wife said i am none of those... :D

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Aren't tungsten rings like crazy brittle? I thought you could break them with a clamp pretty easily?

Also, I've seen a soft gold ring completely deglove a finger in a minor accident. Jewelry of any kind is kinda hazardous

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Aren't tungsten rings like crazy brittle? I thought you could break them with a clamp pretty easily?

Also, I've seen a soft gold ring completely deglove a finger in a minor accident. Jewelry of any kind is kinda hazardous
I have a tungsten wedding band, first one accidentally was shattered when it flicked off my hand as I shook them dry.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Brendog's 1st time riding an XL.
His take aways:
"I've always been against this longer bikes fad" (before riding)
"Not 100% into it"
"Definitely not as playful and fun to jump"
"Didn't notice any worse cornering/turning"
"Eager to try it on rougher and steeper tracks"

I'm the same height and just bought the same bike in size large. His comments reinforce what I suspected and I still feel good about my choice.

EDIT: Oh wait, is this the wrong thread? I meant, "I never wore my wedding ring after my wedding day."

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Hell no ! I work in precious metals only for wedding bands.

DO NOT BUY ANY BANDS THAT ARE HARDER THAN THE CUTTING TOOLS USED IN EMERGENCY ROOMS !

Wrong, wrong, wrong. Hard = Brittle. Far easier to remove via a clamp. I don't want no spinning thing or heat buildup round my digits in an emergency. Also, a hard brittle ring will break before getting munged up on your digits.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Wrong, wrong, wrong. Hard = Brittle. Far easier to remove via a clamp. I don't want no spinning thing or heat buildup round my digits in an emergency. Also, a hard brittle ring will break before getting munged up on your digits.
I've seen a finger completely degloved from a soft gold ring. I'm pretty sure you're fucked no matter what it's made of unless you're rocking one of those silicone bands.

Pretty sure wedding bands are more dangerous to mental health than anything else though.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Just dunk it in liquid nitrogen. :D

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Hardness is a measure of resistance to scratching not of the metal's strength. Also there are various alloys of titanium, some more malleable than others and some more brittle as you say.

Most ER ring cutting tools are hand turned and the motorized, I would imagine, would use heatless separating discs for the "blade".

If your ring breaks or gets bent while wearing it, then chances are there is going to be some form of injury.

Best practice is to not wear a ring while working with rotary machinery or mountain biking.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
since this is the stupidity with metals thread.....