Quantcast

Long rant about roadies and repair work

Woggle Bear

Chimp
May 8, 2002
Northcentral Louisiana
Ok how do you guys deal with roadies? Not all road bikers, I have a road bike also, but the true roadie.
Our shop is mostly a MTB shop that specializes in custom mtb builds, but if it has wheels and is human powered we'll service it. I have the only shop in a 50 mile radius so we get a lot of different things in. And I have no complaints from anyone except roadies. It seems that 80% of the roadies that come in my little shop are know it all pushy jerks.( I have had some cool ones come in)
This week alone we had three different guys bring in their road bikes, all over five years old. Each time they want them done before the weekend and told me up front that they have never had them serviced or only once or twice in the life of the bike!

The drivetrain on all of them was trashed. I mean nothing worked, chains stretched beyond the gauge, cogs worn down to little sharks teeth, bottombrackets that sound like the bearings run on sand paper, etc,etc, You get the picture. So I tell them that it is way past time to replace their drivetrain. One guy accused me of trying to "pull the wool over his eyes" , another made the statement that as much as his bike cost it could not be worn out. The third guy agreed to the work but insisted I mix and match his old worn 96 600 8sp parts with new Ulti 9sp parts. At first I refused, telling him that I would not be able to get it to shift reliably and he would not be happy with it. He told me that he was sick of shops trying to pad his repair bill (he was the one that said it had never been serviced) and he knew damn well those parts are compatable and to do the work that he "the customer" wants and nothing more! So I did, and it worked for $h!t. He comes in I two days later complaining that his "new" drive train does not work, and demands to see the owner. MMM...ok, "that would be me". He gets all pissed and ends up storming out.(there is lots more but it would take too long)
Now, I was the same with them as I am with all of my customers. I have hundreds of MTB customers and none of them act like this. What is it with these guys and gals? It really bothers me, and I don't need some one talking smack and hurting my reputation. I really care about my customers and their bikes.
Any suggestions? Words of wisdom?

Thanks
WB

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
I work at a shop that is primarily roadies... Here is the deal with roadies. You just need to stick to your guns. If they want some crap work done. Tell them straight out that you only do quality work and this is how to do it right. If they opt to do it the cheaper (crapier way) look them straight in the eye and say tell them that you will do this labor as a temporary fix to a larger problem and that this is not a good solution. Most will respect that you informed them ahead of time.
In the case of the guy you had...just a dick that is trying to scam some labor. Oh well.
Be BRUTALY honest with roadies...they usually do the opposite of what you tell them and then they come back sheepishly and say...ok you were right. Its great cause then you sell stuff to them 2x!!!

Woggle Bear

Chimp
May 8, 2002
Northcentral Louisiana
Inbread, I just looked at the roadie posts and everyone there seemed nice and all. I really don't know what you would consider a real roadie. I have some rec riders, tri riders, cat 3 4 5, and these grumpy old farts that I deal with. And for the most part they are...well...jerks. Now not all are but most of them are.
MB2 seems to know what I'm going thru.

I did try to tell him exacitly what you said MB2. That was when he threw his fit about getting ripped off.
I think I know the deal here...
There is a great road bike shop a hour away, owned by John Cobb(the guy that fits Lance on his TDF bikes) So the real roadies that are willing to spend the $$$ on the best road bikes, and P&A go there, and I get all the jerks that are too cheap to go to John. So I'm having to deal with the pricks he has told to F.O. and the cheap-o jerks looking for a freebie. I really am thinking of just not dealing with road bikes at all. They are only about 10% on my business(but that could pay the rent haha). I don't know.
What do you do when some one brings in a MTB to your shop?

And thanks a ton for your post, it's nice to know it is not just me.

:) WB

alex spencer

Chimp
Aug 5, 2001
england
theres 3 kinds of roadies;

the cocky wannabe's who you seem to be suffering, look down at mtbers because they ride mtb's

the proper roadies that only think about themselves and thier idea heart rate (still a bit cocky tho)

and the really fast and friendly roadies that turn out to be MTBers but tearing around on a roadbike.

BullBiker

Chimp
Nov 5, 2001
Flatland Florida
The shop where I work caters mostly to roadies and I feel your pain bruther! The worst of them all are the Triathletes. Why? I don't really know, but they think their poop don't stink and they are the most abusive to (take less care of)their bikes.

I've had a similar experience as yours at least once a week. The best solution is to explain that "In my (your) professional opinion, this is the work that needs to be done", if they dissagree, we state that we will not do the work they've requested because we will not be able to stand behind the work we know will be done incorrectly from the beginning. To do so, "Would not be fair to you (the customer) or us, the shop". That usually gets them, and makes them feel we are sincere about our service and stand behind it and also want to do what "Right" for the customer.

Remind them that you DO stand behind your work, and will be happy to show them the chain gauge and the difference between a worn out cassette and a new one.

Most people get defensive when they feel ignorant about something. Bicycle components are things that intimidate a lot of people. If you can educate them w/o being too abrasive, you may end up with a great customer.

Remember that you can refuse to provide service to anyone. That's one of the great things about being the owner/operator. If they don't want listen to you, they can take their cr@p down the street. The next shop is 100 miles away? Oh too bad! I guess the time and $$ you save from not having to drive that far you can spend on your trashed out p.o.s.!

Don't let them get to you. If you provide good service and have a good customer base, your reputation will survive a little undue criticism. Just make sure the other customers are well taken care of, and the bad ones will be less significant.

L8R

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Originally posted by Woggle Bear
Inbread, I just looked at the roadie posts and everyone there seemed nice and all. I really don't know what you would consider a real roadie. I have some rec riders, tri riders, cat 3 4 5, and these grumpy old farts that I deal with. And for the most part they are...well...jerks. Now not all are but most of them are.
ah, well i just meant that most of the hardcore, "real" roadies i know do their own work...i guess the whole "if you want something done right, gotta do it yourself" thing comes into play...i don't know.

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
Ya know it seems that the lower the Cat that they race the more of a pain in the a$$ they are. Triathletes are a different story. THey know little about bikeing (in general) and they are more involved in their other sports. So that rules out regular maintenece. Pluss they look at the Tri mags and see what worked for so-and-so and they HAVE TO DO THAT, because so-and-so won the ironman like that.
Be up front and let the customer know that you want to help but under the cercumstances you may not be able to unless they are willing to do it right. Roadies if they come to trust you and your shop you will be ordering lighter and lighter parts and more aero wheels...cause you aren't fast unless your bike is 11.5 lbs:D don't let them get to you. They don't understand the value of a bike mechanic and that experience is HUGE in this industry.

My favorite questions usually include some idea that mixes Campy and Shimano...i love that:D

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Originally posted by Motionboy2

They don't understand the value of a bike mechanic and that experience is HUGE in this industry.
My bike mechanic is my bikes best friend. I like to do my own wrenching...but for the serious stuff, I bring it to the shop and I listen to what my bike mechanic says like if it's god that's talking to me. ;)

Seriously, when this mechanic left the shop where he was to open his, I immediately followed him...and it's impressive to see how many bikers from Québec city did the same. Those who can appreciate the value of a good wrench will probably get a better service too.

Woggle Bear

Chimp
May 8, 2002
Northcentral Louisiana
Thanks MB2 and Bull:)
I really have tried to explain it all to them and show them the guage and cog wear indicator, I try to explain to them about proper shifting and gear selection, but most of them just look at like "you don't know what you are talking about" and try to fix it themselves or continue grinding away in big/big. Then I hear thru the grape vine that they went to another shop with their mess they created and try to blame it on ME:mad:

Yea the tri folks are pretty hard on equipment:p But with Bicycle Sports (John Cobb) a hour away I really don't have to deal with too many of them. We had X-Trerra here for a few years and you really saw the attitudes there from the beg-exp class racers. But the Pros were some of the nicest folks I have ever wrenched for. All of them thanked me for my work after the race:)

Toninator, I'm in Ruston Louisiana. Very small shop, but I try to do the best I can with what I have to work with:)

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Dude! It has nothing to do with the type of bike they ride or the sports they do. It has everything to do with them being buttheads. I havn't worked in a shop for a while but when I did we ran into all kinds too. The racers could be pretty nose-in-the-air demanding. Their work got stuck at the bottom of the to-do list just like any other. If they didn't like it, I'd offer to sell them the tools and and a book to do it themselves. I'd ask them what made them so special that they could butt in the line and get to the front, all the others who came ahead of him want their bikes repaired too. Often that would solve it for the I-need-it-for-a-race dudes. For guys that want to missmatch or bandaid repair we'd tell them what they should do but if they insisted we'd show them why they needed the new "freemastrat and canoiter box with Joplin wheels" and if that didn't do it. We'd make a note on the work order that the customer wanted the crap fix and was warned that it was a crap fix. You really don't need customers like that. There is one guy, he owns a mountain bike but I wouldn't call him a mountainbiker, that my local shop kicked out of the store. He bought a Bullit but wanted his money back because he couldn't put an 8 inch rotor on the rear. On the surface that does not seem that odd. But this boy runs a 6 inch on the front and 8 inch on the rear!!! Because the rear fades he says. We wonder how any brake can fade when you walk down trails( I rode with him......once) He refuses to use grips. One wrap of hockey tape is what he likes and he has big hands and complains of sore hands and fading brakes??? Oh yeah, his seat post is mounted backwards so he can tilt his saddle down at about a 25 or 30 degree angle. And his stem is a high rise 120 or maybe even longer. Gee that'll work really well on the Shore where he rides/hikes. And many of us have told him his set up is all wrong and is causing his problems.

I'm telling you about this guy simply to illustrate that there are some out there that will not listen to reason, and I didn't get into my retro grouch bro in law.

diesel

Monkey
Nov 26, 2001
Originally posted by BullBiker
The shop where I work caters mostly to roadies and I feel your pain bruther! The worst of them all are the Triathletes. Why? I don't really know, but they think their poop don't stink and they are the most abusive to (take less care of)their bikes.

I've had a similar experience as yours at least once a week. The best solution is to explain that "In my (your) professional opinion, this is the work that needs to be done", if they dissagree, we state that we will not do the work they've requested because we will not be able to stand behind the work we know will be done incorrectly from the beginning. To do so, "Would not be fair to you (the customer) or us, the shop". That usually gets them, and makes them feel we are sincere about our service and stand behind it and also want to do what "Right" for the customer.

Remind them that you DO stand behind your work, and will be happy to show them the chain gauge and the difference between a worn out cassette and a new one.

Most people get defensive when they feel ignorant about something. Bicycle components are things that intimidate a lot of people. If you can educate them w/o being too abrasive, you may end up with a great customer.

Remember that you can refuse to provide service to anyone. That's one of the great things about being the owner/operator. If they don't want listen to you, they can take their cr@p down the street. The next shop is 100 miles away? Oh too bad! I guess the time and $$ you save from not having to drive that far you can spend on your trashed out p.o.s.!

Don't let them get to you. If you provide good service and have a good customer base, your reputation will survive a little undue criticism. Just make sure the other customers are well taken care of, and the bad ones will be less significant.

L8R
thats some damn good adivce right there. id say just remember your work is an extension of your soul, demeanor, integrity and values. you can educate and pamper and explain till your blue in the face, some people just wont get it or dont wanna get it. those are people that do not deserve your work...even if you could rig it to work in an acceptable fashion.

bahhh retail scares me, im so thankful i dont work in retail...i admire the fact you didnt start beating the guy with a pedal wrench...that woulda been my reaction.

BullBiker

Chimp
Nov 5, 2001
Flatland Florida
Hey Woggle,

I just realized "the other shop" is Bicycle Sports. We had a guy that worked there work for us for a couple of months. Nice enough guy, just didn't like FL I guess and I heard he moved back to LA.

Regardless, he said that BS wouldn't even consider working on anyones bike if it wasn't 105 or better. It wasn't worth their time and effort. They would send them to another shop.

I guess that's you!

So what I'm saying is if you get jerks like the one you've mentioned above back in your shop. Don't be affraid to show them the door. More than likely they've been to BS and have been shown the door once already.

Or, you could post a little sign similar to the one we have in our repair area that reads:

REPAIR RATES WILL BE ADJUSTED ACCORDINGLY TO REFLECT BICYCLE OWNER'S ATTITUDE!

Good Luck & I hope things turn around for you!
L8R

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
One of them Boston suburbs
I found that you always have to use a little psychology on the a$$holes. I think textbooks call it "buy-in". basically, if they have something that's really wrecked to the point where its obvious you bring en behind the counter with their bike and a couple of new parts and you say... "ok, do you see how your teeth are real pointy and, these have this nice sort of trapezoid shape to them?" they say "yeah" . You do that for all the broken stuff, and then when you explain that things need to be replaced, they can't disagree because they agreed to seeing the damage themselves (before they became biased by the fact that it was going to cost them $$).

and on that subject:
A good read for anyone who has to deal with customers... "INFLUENCE: the psychology of persuasion" by Robert cialdini

Woggle Bear

Chimp
May 8, 2002
Northcentral Louisiana
Yea it is Bycyle Sports, they are high and upity, but they are the best at what they do. I really like John and have learned alot from him and the people that work there.
So you worked with Ronnie? He was the only one that I knew left and came back. He is a good guy, and was the main one that sent me business. Mostly MTBrs which is what we do, so it worked out well.:)

R

rstrange1

I worked at a bike shop that turned roadie. They tried to hire a roadie manager.

There was no reasoning with them for wages or hours after that. I QUIT.

It wasn't worth my time. Powermove is a term that roadies just don't seem to relate to I dunno why.

I love MTB and I know enough to work anywhere but it isn't worth the grief. I just buy again after it breaks now and leave with the part.

Attachments

Gee

Chimp
Aug 15, 2002
Orange Co. CA
As a customer and not a wrench I can tell you that I have had some terrible service from bike stores. Fortunately, in SoCal there are many stores to choose from. I am still trying to find that one guy in that one store who knows his/her stuff.

Honesty and integrity are you best weapons, you seem to understand that. So, I think you're doing fine.

Woggle Bear

Chimp
May 8, 2002
Northcentral Louisiana
Thanks for the reply. That is one thing I need is input from customers(not just mine) as to what they want and expect.

I try to run a good shop, repairs done right and on time, fair prices, great service. But it seems that for some people this is not enough.

WB

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
i think it is strange that people don't work on their own bikes.

i would never pay someone else to work on my bike.

am i missing something?

Rustmouse

Chimp
Aug 9, 2002
Olympia, WA
Not everyone can turn a wrench (or draw a picture, or fix a computer) for those of us who can, it's unfathomable why someone else doesn't pick it up as easy as we do... (human nature)

The only reason I can see for MTBers to be less bitchy about repairing their bikes than roadies is that we have a tendency to break ours more frequently! We spend just as much on our bikes as they do, on the whole, but ours require frequent maintenance to keep it goin and if yer tryin hard enough, you'll definitely break something (either you or the bike) damn near alla time.

Roadies actually have their bikes long enough for parts to wear out! (amazing concept)

As far as the customer problem goes... the accusation of trying to rob them would be enough for me to refer them to another shop. I'd also agree with the guy who insists that they don't do crap work because the shop has to stand by their work.

The poor work is remembered far longer than the bargain price they paid for it...

Woggle Bear

Chimp
May 8, 2002
Northcentral Louisiana
Thanks for all your input:)

I was thinking about it the other day and Rustmouse is right. MTBrs are a little more apt to spend the money to get their ride fixed correctly. We are used to breaking everything, and are lucky to get a month out of our bike before it needs some adjustments.
My road bike has not needed a tune-up in three months. I do clean and lube it weekly but other than a flat now and again it needs nothing. So I guess I understand now, why they freak out when they dring it in for a tune-up and are told that they need to replace the entire drivetrain.

I guess that we, in the know, do take it for granted. Some people do not have any clue about how the bike should work properly. They ride the bike and do not notice anything until the bike will not go anymore.

oh well, now I know and as GI Joe used to say "Knowing is half the battle.":D

WB

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
Heres a good hint ,pull out you shimano book( the service manual ) the one that gives you all the cross refrence part nubers for the new and the old stuff ,and just show the guy look right here it tell me from the manufacturer on what I can and cannot use together ,this should help BTW road weinies suck ,well the ones who think they are much better than us lowly MTBers :rolleyes: ;) ;) :rolleyes: :p :p

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Woggle Bear...:angry: :angry: :angry:

Roadies are not as you describe, you just happened upon some cheap dudes who happen to road bike. Roadies are used to getting their stuff repaired instead of replaced. There was a time whe 600 or Dura Ace would last a lifetime - it was a selling point when the bike was purchased. I have a 1984 Univega Competione with Superbe Pro, most mtb mechanics couldn't even tell you what Superbe Pro is. Anyhow after 20,000 + miles I have only replaced the brake levers and that was because of an accident. Yes my 6 cog freewheel is worn and outdated but it is not worn out. I've rebuilt the hubs twice and only needed to replace the bearings. The bike is sweet triple butted chomolly and I keep it in running order because it fits me and I can ride it to good advantage because I know it so well.

Second - road bikes are not cheap. My old Univega was $760.00 US in 1984. My 1992 Serotta was close to $2,000.00 when new. I recently spent another $1,600.00 rebuilding it with Chorus and all new bits. My bike shop takes the time to do exactly as I want and they have earned my loyalty and trust. I am not some idiot who doesn't know crap. I am a roadie who likes a nice ride and I know my bikes through and through. Whats wrong with me wanting my bike built and tuned the way I want it built and tuned? Am I an arrogant stuck up snob because I choose to repair rather than replace?

In my mind a skilled mechanic, thank god I've got one, is good at keeping the existing parts in working order. Someone who would rather replace seems more like an assembler. Stop dumping on roadies. They often spend far more money on bike stuff than your average recreational mtb ride.

Now... why are triathletes so much more demanding? They are on their bikes for the longest leg of their event, a mechanical malfunction or slight maladjustment is going to cost them time. They're looking to their bike to save them time. It not just a bike to them, it's a specialized tool.

BullBiker

Chimp
Nov 5, 2001
Flatland Florida
Well Serial Midget,

You must be the exception. You actually know what you want and don't mind paying for it.

Woggle Bear was dealing with a person that wanted to do something he couldn't and didn't want to be told, "NO".

And to tell you the truth, as far as tri-athletes go, "What's the difference between a tri-geek, a crit racer, a XC mtn bike racer, a Downhiller...etc?" They all depend on their equipment to save them precious seconds. But not all of these athletes have the TUDE that is inherant in the Tri community! It's an elitist attitude that is undeserved. It's not something that I detest, just something I've noticed. I can easily deal with elitist, it just makes me wonder "WHY?".

Plus, repair vs replace. Not valid. With today's technology and goal for ultimate lightweight parts, durability is the sacrifice. Plus, I know pleanty of roadies that typically put in 400 - 600 + miles in a week. With that kind of use, you're going to go through parts, no matter how durable they are.

AND, in my experience, not to be contradictory her, but once we sell a roadie a bike, we don't see them again for another year except maybe for tubes or tires. With hardcore racers (mentioned above) being the exception. Road bikes simply do not get the abuse that mt bikes do, and let's not even get into BMX bikes. I see our mt bike customers 3x's as much in a given time period. There always seems to be something breaking or wearing out due to the conditions and the way mt. bikes are ridden. Broken derailleurs (& hangers), tacoed wheels, bent handlebars, broken seat rails, shredded sidewalls...etc. Crashing is part and parcel of mt biking, it's expected. Crashing on the road is NOT!

L8R

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Originally posted by BullBiker

Plus, repair vs replace. Not valid. With today's technology and goal for ultimate lightweight parts, durability is the sacrifice. Plus, I know pleanty of roadies that typically put in 400 - 600 + miles in a week. With that kind of use, you're going to go through parts, no matter how durable they are.
I agreed with most of your post, except this section. Check out campy. Every part, even the teeny springs in the enrgolevers, is replaceable AND interchangeable between lines (at least record to chorus). The same levers you bought 5 years ago as 8-spd can be easily and cheaply converted to 10-spd right now. (that being said, I ride shimano...:rolleyes: )

BullBiker

Chimp
Nov 5, 2001
Flatland Florida
Not to be overly sensitive or hypercritical, but I didn't mention compatability issues, I mentioned use and wear. Or, I've misrepresented my point, and I do see yours. You cannont rebuild a Dura-Ace STI shifter or an XTR shifter, I know, I've tried. What I meant to imply is that all parts will wear out, and the rate is directly dependant on use! Yes, a Campy component is a beautiful thing and is compatible with other Campy products, but if you're riding 500 miles a week, it's gonna wear out! Plus, a new Campy carbon rear derailleur will break if abused, or hit during a fall, or after a certain period of time/use. What I was trying to get at was, 10 years ago, a derailleur was made of different materials and weighed considerable more, it was usually cheaper too! With technology, we are able to make lighter components, with more precision, usually at the expense of durability.

10 years ago, it was nearly impossible to find a sub 25 pound bike front suspension for under two grand! Today, you can get a 22 lb full susupension bike for around that! Is it as durable, probably not!

L8R

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by ohio

I agreed with most of your post, except this section. Check out campy. Every part, even the teeny springs in the enrgolevers, is replaceable AND interchangeable between lines (at least record to chorus). The same levers you bought 5 years ago as 8-spd can be easily and cheaply converted to 10-spd right now. (that being said, I ride shimano...:rolleyes: )
I made made latest purchase decision based on the above - you get what you pay for everytime... and there was a time when Shimano 600 and DA could be repaired rather than replaced. A lot of those bikes are still on the road and are being atively ridden today.

Old_Dude

Monkey
A couple of things I've learned about the LBS mechanics:

1 - If they work on "department store bikes", run, don't walk away from the bike shop

2 - if the wrench gives you spare parts for a SS conversion & actually talks to you - as in, having just a real conversation without making you feel like he's too busy, or you're wasting his time, AND it just so happens he's an expert in his field, then you've discovered a good friend indeed. I found a wrench just like that & then he moved to another shop. That's where I go now - wasn't a difficult decision, though it's about 12-15 minutes further from where I live, it's worth it. Who doesn't like to be recognized when you walk into a shop?

Well, mabye that wouldn't be so great walking into a Turkish bathhouse . . . anyway . . . I guess I'm fortunate, I don't think I'm "gifted" mechanically, but I can figure out how to do my own bike stuff & I will do almost anything (I'm building a bike during the next few months - never done that before). Having the special tools to press in a headset is a different matter - for anything like that, I'll go to the shop. For just about anything else, I'll do it.

Sad about the jerks out there. I think most of the previous points have been well stated.

alex spencer

Chimp
Aug 5, 2001
england
Originally posted by KonaDude

Why?!?
i was going to ask the same thing.

bike mechs have to work on mostly crap bikes for normal people, theres no way the shops could make profit if they turned all cheap bikes away, think about it if you own 2-3k worth of bike, you'll do most, if not all of the work it needs yourself, so shops would be left servicing one or two bikes a week at most, its a sure fire way to kill a shop.

:rolleyes:

Old_Dude

Monkey
I was talking about my wrenching woes to a mechanic at the LBS not too long ago . . . what is shop labor - at least $45 an hour, right? That means, not counting the price of parts, two hours worth of labor is about the cost of a new "department store" bike. They're disposable items, like an egg carton, except an egg carton usually works.

I used to be the local wrench in my last neighborhood - people were bringing me all kinds of crappy bikes - old & new stuff, but all, mostly just cheap crap.

Has anyone ever tried to work on cheap bikes? You can't hardly work on them - on some of them - many of them - there's no possible way to properly adjust their cheap derailleurs & brakess to work in a manner which I would deem "adequately". No way.

Having said that, I would do what I could to the bikes coming into my garage, cleaning & lubing the cables, fixing flats, semi-truing wheels, adjusting brakes & derailleurs & so forth. I think I used to charge $35 for this, which also included cleaning & lubing the chain.

Not many people who brought me bikes appreciated my efforts. My clean & tuneup would often take an hour. I remember once I replaced the front brake pads on this ultra-cheap bike & I added $10 for the pads & the owner had a coniption fit. "TEN DOLLARS", she said, "GOOD GRIEF, for just two of those little things?" There was this one guy who had a "10-speed racer", which had, you know, the horizontal & vertical brake levers on his handlebar. I think every component on this bike was steel except for the tires. This bike weighed a TON & it was really old. I had worked on it & gotten it running SO much better compared to how it was when his wife gave it to me. "All I wanted was my flat tire fixed - it didn't need a tuneup, or any maintenance" he said when I dropped it off to his house. I was so upset at his neglect & total ignorance. He never wears a helmet & used to fly down the hill in front of my house. A statistic, just waitin' to happen, I'm sad to say, and a horrible example for the children in the neighborhood (no helmet).

I'm sorry, perhaps I'm quite fortunate to be able to go to bike shops that don't waste their time on cheap bikes. I think it sends a message to the customer - you buy crap, then take it somewhere else to get fixed - we don't waste your time our ours trying to fix something which is impossible to work properly. Arrogant? Not really, how many Mercedes Benz dealers would take in a '82 Chevette for a spark plug change?

2 solutions for folks who buy crappy bikes & need maintenance:

#1 - You need to take your junk to a shop that sells & works on crappy stuff

#2 - You need to get a better bike & throw your POS bike away

I was appalled last month when I went to WalMart & saw the Schwinn's lined up in the store. Though I genuinely appreciated the "cut above" quality from their regular selection of crappy junk, the seriously disturbing fact was obvious: a "one size fits all" mentality. They had six or seven of their bikes lined up next to one another - all the same size - small. Even with a crappy bike, bike fit is important, ya know?

What the world needs now is a bike that's decent - it doesn't have to be phenomenal with carbon this & that, but ever think about what the world would be like if everyone had an opportunity to ride a decent bike? Ever think about how many more people would be participating in our sport? I do.

There should be two new Federal Laws

1 - Everyone with a pulse must own at least one bike

2 - Any bike cheaper than this one should be illegal:

But, hey, that's just my opinion.

alex spencer

Chimp
Aug 5, 2001
england
i see where your coming from, but the majority of the repairs most shops (in the uk at least do), are setting up brakes, changing pads, fixing punctures all little jobs on $100-400 bikes that take 10-15 mins and can make some cash to keep the shops running for the actual riders rather than just the bike users.

yes the cheap ass bikes are disposable, but the people who spent a whole $120 on a bike 9 months ago arn't going to want to hear that it would be better the throw it away and buy a new one, they'd much rather pay $40 to get it sorted and complain about the cost afterwards.

why complain?? keeps the shops running for us lot, gets more people into riding, wheres the downside?

Woggle Bear

Chimp
May 8, 2002
Northcentral Louisiana
Originally posted by alex spencer
i see where your coming from, but the majority of the repairs most shops (in the uk at least do), are setting up brakes, changing pads, fixing punctures all little jobs on $100-400 bikes that take 10-15 mins and can make some cash to keep the shops running for the actual riders rather than just the bike users.

yes the cheap ass bikes are disposable, but the people who spent a whole $120 on a bike 9 months ago arn't going to want to hear that it would be better the throw it away and buy a new one, they'd much rather pay $40 to get it sorted and complain about the cost afterwards.

why complain?? keeps the shops running for us lot, gets more people into riding, wheres the downside?
This is very true.
Smaller shops must service everything to pay the rent. There are many more $200-400 bikes out there than $1000 bikes. Though it would be nice if that is all there was:) You must offer what your market demands, simple as that.

The guy I had the problem with is my "best buddy" now. Seems that everything I told him would happen did. He has now had the entire drivetrain serviced or updated.

so thanks again for all the advice!

SM your prize is here bro come and get it:D

WB