Quantcast

Long Rides - What to bring?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
That's because you should pre-roll pre-ride
I pre-roll for the post-ride session.

I've hit the bong shed before, before riding, and that is an absolute no-go for me. It never ends well.

Having a few beers and then riding though, hell yeah bring it on.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Nearly everything mentioned in this thread goes in my pack on a regular basis. Just kinda the 'normal' deal. One thing I carry that hasn't been mentioned is a Leatherman type of tool and a decent knife. I have yet to use the knife for anything other than cutting up a sammich or spreading some nut butter on a tortilla, but the leatherman has come in quite handy more than once.

I also really like carrying a water bottle with electrolytes in it on big big days. Water is good, but salt becomes essential after a while. You can also carry some powdered stuff in a ziploc and make more if you're really out there for a long time. I love Skratch Labs but even Gatorade will work.

Big ride deserves a sandwich.
And a beer. Not joking.

This. I carry a breakfast burrito for 2nd breakfast and pizza for lunch generally.
Remember that one time I ate a half a large pizza for lunch and it still wasn't enough? Thank goodness for those Goo thingies... We'd have been F'd in the A if I didn't have 13 ounces of pure high fructose corn syrup stuffed deep in my pack.

...Sawyer squeeze water filter and not carrying a $hitload of water (heavy as all hell). You have to know the route with regards to water stops for this, though...
Also gold on that trip. Jeebus.

This is also very important. FullTrucker is an excellent example of someone with this "can-do" attitude.
Aw shucks thanks.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Depending on how remote you will be, I've brought a water filter so that I can haul less water. Also, running out of water when you are way out is sketchy.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
There's this mad insane dude in our area that's known for some struggle-bussing sufferfest rides, and he had a really good writeup on what he brings in his pack and I've taken it to heart. My pack closely resembles his in a big way, as do quite a few of the folks I ride big rides with. Go here and scroll down to the "Contents Revealed" entry: http://redstonecyclery.com/?page_id=993

I'm able to fit most of this shiz in an Osprey Raptor 14, it gets pretty stuffed but it goes. I wish Osprey made an 18L version of this pack, the Escapist looks like it might be pretty good though. A couple things in my pack not in his are:
  1. A headlamp with a button lockout so it doesn't turn on accidentally and wear out the batteries. After being darked out lost in the rain in Steamboat trying to find our way out of a locally built ride, I'll never be without some light for my head.
  2. A couple of velcro straps with a D-ring at one end. Good for lashing things to your pack. I once used these straps to lash a rider's bike to my backpack when he went ass-over-teakettle and broke his collarbone and had to walk out a couple-three miles. It was nice to be able to sherpa his bike back to the bar fairly easily. And it's a good story.
  3. Benedryl, but maybe that's just part of a good first aid kit? Ibuprofen, tums, and anti-diarrheal as well.
  4. A small ziploc dry sack thingy for my phone. Being pissed rain and hail on has a way of soaking all your stuff and if that phone you're carrying craps out because it gets drenched it might be the difference between calling out for a rescue and spending the night somewhere damp and cold.
  5. Space blanket. Because space. And also warmth and lightness. And something to start a fire with. I think I have a little survival kit from SOL with some basic stuff like this: http://www.surviveoutdoorslonger.com/
  6. Koozie. Yeah yeah yeah it's on his list already but whatever. Keep your beer cold and your hand warm. Worth mentioning twice.

Here's the article copy and pasted:

Contents Revealed
Posted by Dave on August 6, 2013

As many of you know, my backpack is on the big side. After years of riding backcountry and leading big rides with several people, these are basics that I have in my bag to take care of problems that I or a fellow rider might have.

I just emptied the contents that were in my bag from my last 3 rides before restocking. Ride 1 was a 38 mile backcountry ride in Winter Park. Rides 2 and 3 were short local rides. Here’s the list…

Items not pictured that generally live in my pack:
100 oz bladder water
Co2 device
Co2 cartridges
Der cable
Wallet

Pictured
*Food. Lots of food.
*Zip ties. These are awesome and can be used in a number of creative ways
*Glasses wipe. Gotta keep the lenses clean
*Thermal headband. If it gets cold out, keeping your ears and head warm can go a long way.
*Mini pump. The Topeak Mt Morph is an all time favorite. It’s huge and behaves like a little floor pump.
*Shock pump. Handy for customizing trail setup.
*2 tubes, 26″. A 26″ tube will fit fine in 26, 27.5, and 29er.
*Tire levers
*Patch kit. I’ve run out of tubes before
*9 and 10 sp links. In a pinch, a 9sp link will work on an 8 sp chain.
*Chain lube
*DT swiss ratchets. We’ve actually had a set wear out (very old hub) and a guy actually had a set in his bag. I had some spares, so…
*Headset spacer. Ended up in my pack a long time ago by accident and actually had to use it. I keep one on me now.
*Universal der hanger. This awesome piece will keep you riding and shifting if you have a replaceable der hanger but don’t have your spare.
*Couple of maps. Always have a map of your area
*1st aid kit. Has band aids, aspirin, matches, tape and a whole bunch of other things.
*Can o beer (or 2)
*Coozie. Cause you have to keep your beer cold and protected. Or you never know when you’ll get handed a cold one.
*Visine
*Road id. Name, phone, etc
*Folding Saw. We’re always cleaning up dead fall
*Mini tool bike tool
*Gerber mini tool. Pliers, knife, etc
*Arm warmers
*Knee warmers
*Stuffable windbreaker
*Waterproof jacket. Cause it rains frequently at elevation with little or no warning
*Bottle of water. Always good to have water but it’s generally for Bella dog
*Dog bowl. Because Bella is one of my best riding buds
*Gates Carbon Drive belt. Even when I’m not on my REEB the odds are likely that a friend is. Always good to have a spare belt.

There you have it. And that’s just for regular rides. For big rides, I’ll toss in a burrito and other extras. I know it seems like a lot but most of the contents listed here get used by me or a riding partner.

Last edited:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
OG not being a dick... but definitely has a different view of "usual day on the bike". 40 miles is not a "usual" MTB ride for me, and I ride over 700 miles a month.
I appreciate that. 40 miles is no cakewalk, I agree, but for lots of people, 3500 feet over a whole day wouldn't need much more than the usual ride prep. It's hilly here in Northern California and we often ride that sort of elevation in half the distance.

The point was more that if OP keeps at it, a ride like this won't be such a big deal, and that regardless these are good tips for lots of rides.

I also agree with whoever said to bring some kind of electrolyte drink on longer rides, especially if it's hot. A separate bottle is good, but I just use camelbak elixir tabs in my bladder. A steady slow drip all day works better for me, helps avoid crashing after a sugar high.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
I think you shouldn't worry about poison ivy too much with the leaves down. Just wear long socks and be carefull removing them by rolling them out inside out. Usually no poison ivy on trails. Just don't faceplant off trail. ;)

As far as distance, don't know that trail but most of the east coast trails on the Canadian shield are usually relentless short punch climbs in rocks and roots, after 15-20 miles you get beat up real quick. I've been all over, rode long ass rides out west and it just does not compare. Usually the half rule applies. 40 miles out west is the same as 20 here. It all depends on how you climbed those 3500ft...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I remember being very far from home with several thousand feet of vert to go riding with T-Dog in Ojai when he had a shock bolt break. My stem cap bolt was long enough to fit through both sides but not long enough to get a nut on. We ended up using electrical tape to hold the bolt in place.

Moral of the story, I miss riding with T-Dog and carry and extra bike.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Mad dog ticks. With the leaves down they have more hiding places. The Deers lay down and the ticks sneak up an bite your ass when you crash. Or some shit....

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I tend to carry:
Nutrition - H2O, Chocolate (sometimes a snickers bar or just chocolates), Jerkey (BJs sells the small packs), Mojo Bars (save wrappers for holes in sidewall and or cold feel--blocks mesh on shoes), Shot Blocks, Flask of Bourbon
First Aid - Benadryl, Motrin, tylenol, neosporin (little packet), a few bandaids (different sizes including butterfly strips), gauze pads, 2 feminine products (tampons plug puncture wounds well and pads work for lots of wounds too), technu (small packet), small pack of tissues and a ziplock with a couple of wet wipes in it.
Tools/Parts - der. hanger, small length of chain, powerlik,; zip tis,; duct tape, CO2/Hand Pump, Co2, tube, patch kit, multi tool, small leatherman, cleat screw, tire levers
Other - cash, RoadID, chapstick, gum, flint/magnesium/whistle, cell phone

Pretty much everything in the first aid fits into a quart size ziplock sized bag (water tight) and all of my tools (minus the pump) fit into a crown royal bag. Everything fits into my Camelbak Women's Mule

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Well damn... there are definitely some good ideas of things I haven't thought of throwing in my pack. Who knew that threads in the lounge could actually be informative?!? :monkey: :D

A couple things I have in my pack that I didn't see listed so far.
1. One of those para-cord bracelets. I actually leave it clipped to my small first aid kit at all times. Never know when you might need some rope (or so that survival experts always say).
2. An inexpensive bandanna. It can be used to mop up blood/sweat, it can be ripped up into sections and used in making a splint, or possibly just used as a stylish accessory while covering up for helmet hair (or in my case my emerging bald spot) after your ride. :thumb:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
2. An inexpensive bandanna. It can be used to mop up blood/sweat, it can be ripped up into sections and used in making a splint, or possibly just used as a stylish accessory while covering up for helmet hair (or in my case my emerging bald spot) after your ride. :thumb:
Ooh, good call. I have a PeopleForBikes branded "buff" that I keep in my backcountry ski pack, I should keep something similar in the CamelSak. I should probably talk to my rad friend Nadia who just opened an Etsy store selling stuff like this to get one of her doo-dads.

NOTE: Nadia's stuff is not "inexpensive" but it sure is cool.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Ooh, good call. I have a PeopleForBikes branded "buff" that I keep in my backcountry ski pack, I should keep something similar in the CamelSak. I should probably talk to my rad friend Nadia who just opened an Etsy store selling stuff like this to get one of her doo-dads.
Buffs are definitely nice, I use something similar when skiing if it's really cold/snowy out. The cheap bandanna is good to have because you can pick one up for a couple bucks and don't feel bad about trashing it if needed.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

NOTE: Nadia's stuff is not "inexpensive" but it sure is cool.
I credit Buffs with being one of the better clothing related purchases I have made in recent years. I have used it in very dusty conditions to cut down on ingestion, used it to recirculate humidity in my breath in particularly dry conditions, and as a neck/head cover during sunny times. Good suggestion.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Do not bring any musical instruments.
I repeat.
DO. NOT.

Everyone hates that guy & even the ones who bob thier head, secretly want to kill them.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Do not bring any musical instruments.
I repeat.
DO. NOT.

Everyone hates that guy & even the ones who bob thier head, secretly want to kill them.
I sing Led Zeppelins Immigrant Song or Blurs Song2 while I am riding behind you. I also sing all the guitar and bass parts between the breaks also. Its pretty amazing. I am a really good singer also. So it is like riding with Robert Plant or Damon whatever his name is.... I am working on some Radiohead and Guns and Roses songs to add to my playlist.

Last edited:

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I sing Led Zeppelins Immigrant Song or Blurs Song2 while I am riding behind you. I also sing all the guitar and bass parts between the breaks also. Its pretty amazing. I am a really good singer also. So it is like riding with Robert Plant or Damon whatever his name is.... I am working on some Radiohead and Guns and Roses songs to add to my playlist.
Singing & whistling are OK.