Quantcast

Long Rides - What to bring?

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i don't bring a pack for local rides. all atound here are 12 mile circuits or less; i can easily walk out or get water at the car if needed.

deep woods ride = pack.
pack=camelbak mule.
mule typically includes:
100oz water
ziploc bag in waterproof top pouch, for extra waterproof fone protection
dh tube
a few gels, a stinger waffle, maybe electrolyte chews; beef jerky; sometimes a pickle in a pouch; sometimes brie (inside joke, but goes well w/beef jerky)!
zip ties
9 and 10 speed quick links
small patch kit
pump
multi tool
hex head + 8mm allen key (for bolt on rear axle)
various band aids
some duck tape (refresh every year or so)
valve cores
small valve core removal tool
small crappy light
ccdb adjuster tool
some $
keys, phone
occasionally more food, sometimes a der. cable

no der. hanger, as mine is built into the rear dropout (intense g3)

Last edited:

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
I sing Led Zeppelins Immigrant Song or Blurs Song2 while I am riding behind you. I also sing all the guitar and bass parts between the breaks also. Its pretty amazing. I am a really good singer also. So it is like riding with Robert Plant or Damon whatever his name is.... I am working on some Radiohead and Guns and Roses songs to add to my playlist.
Singing Radiohead or Creed will get you left for dead.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
After reading some of the responses in here, I've added a few things. Namely, a Leatherman Rebar multi-tool, more tire levers, more snacks and some zip ties. I actually got a bigger hydration pack, so that I don't have to choose between more food and extra gloves or socks.

I still need to add a lighter or some matches. I also need to get a proper knife.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
I got a new/larger hydration pack with some xmas gift cards (Camelbak Mule NV). My old pack is about 6 years old and was getting a little worn out. So now I too have lots more room for some new items people mentioned that I will probably never need or use,

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I'm just in the camp of I'd rather carry something forever and not need it than need it that one time...

Especially when it comes to the difference between riding or walking multiple miles out from somewhere. Hiking is boring enough, hiking with a bike sucks even more.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
On the note of what to bring on rides, do any of you ever have a problem with your tools rusting?

I don't use my tools often, but they keep rusting on me. Now, I keep my multi-tool in a ziplock bag in an attempt to stop it. I purchased a Leatherman multi-tool last winter and stuck it in my pack, pulled it out the other day and it has signs of rust as well.

Should I just stick everything in bags? How about putting a smidgen of oil on the tools, but what would be suitable for being on my hands or potentially touching food/fruit that I also pack in there?

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I would just put everything in bags. You could also put some wax on the tools and re-apply every so often.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
On the note of what to bring on rides, do any of you ever have a problem with your tools rusting?

I don't use my tools often, but they keep rusting on me. Now, I keep my multi-tool in a ziplock bag in an attempt to stop it. I purchased a Leatherman multi-tool last winter and stuck it in my pack, pulled it out the other day and it has signs of rust as well.

Should I just stick everything in bags? How about putting a smidgen of oil on the tools, but what would be suitable for being on my hands or potentially touching food/fruit that I also pack in there?
Do you empty your pack after a rain ride and leave everything out on a counter to dry ?

Don't just hang up the pack with everything in it still wet.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Multi-tools are convenient and all, but there is no substitute for full length allen wrenches. Especially when it's time to change a rear flat and you have a bolt on through axle.

No need to carry a complete set of sizes, 5mm, 4mm and maybe a 6mm should be sufficient.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Do you empty your pack after a rain ride and leave everything out on a counter to dry ?

Don't just hang up the pack with everything in it still wet.
To be honest, no. I've only been on one rain ride that got the inside of the bag wet. I'm going to go the ziplock route and hope for the best.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
deep woods ride = pack.
pack=camelbak mule.
mule typically includes:
100oz water
ziploc bag in waterproof top pouch, for extra waterproof fone protection
dh tube
a few gels, a stinger waffle, maybe electrolyte chews; beef jerky; sometimes a pickle in a pouch; sometimes brie (inside joke, but goes well w/beef jerky)!
zip ties
9 and 10 speed quick links
small patch kit
pump
multi tool
hex head + 8mm allen key (for bolt on rear axle)
various band aids
some duck tape (refresh every year or so)
valve cores
small valve core removal tool
small crappy light
ccdb adjuster tool
some $
keys, phone
occasionally more food, sometimes a der. cable

no der. hanger, as mine is built into the rear dropout (intense g3)
I'd just bring beer money and ride with you!

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Re-reading this thread after a few years to see if there's anything that could be added to the great suggestions made already. Honestly, no a lot comes to mind... this thread really covers it for long rides I think. Since getting a bike that can hold a water bottle inside the front triangle, I've now started strapping a tube to the frame, got one of those OneUp EDC pumps with an internal spot for a tool kit, and often don't even ride with a pack if I'm only gonna be out for an hour or two. For medium rides (say 2-4 hours) or riding in the shoulder seasons when weather might be a thing I'll go with a fanny-pack style pack for extra water, layers, and a beer. The ride has to be really remote and long to get the ol' Osprey Raptor 14 out these days. And then, I still wish there was an 18L version of that pack... dammit Osprey!

I will add this though: the one item that has made its way into every pack I own in these times is a mask.

*Also sneaky-bumping this thread to see if a mod wants to move it to The Shop as a more appropriate spot for it. Lots of good info in here, despite the usual Lounge commentary.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I've since added:
-a tiny usb chargeable light that I can strap to my handlebars. It weighs next to nothing, so is worth is to me if riding around sunset.
-side of bacon
-new hand pump
-spare valve core
-toilet paper pack - got caught out without twice this year. never again.

Besides the obvious bike specific multi-tool, I can't begin to explain how handy having the Leatherman pliers/multitool/knife in my pack has been over the years. Not even so much for myself, but the amount of times I've been stopped having a beer only to have someone trudge up with a busted bike or something and ask "yo man do you have pliers by any chance?" has been plenty.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
the new EDC lite looks nice, i couldn't fit the original in my Mattoc (ID is too large to tap w/ their tool). the new one works by pushing the star nut farther down into the steerer.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
i've been using the one up EDC and am a big fan.

I scrapped my older EDC when I couldn't get the headset compressed enough to set the sockets on my angleset. Love the tool and just stick it in my pocket. Compact and light enough to not notice it is there.