Quantcast

long-term reviews of 108pt Hadley?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
just curious how the 108pt is holding up compared to the typical 36pt engagement. any problems for anyone? same serviceablility?

and does acadian's post count get reset on a daily basis?

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Mine was around $250 shipped. I don't know how much it weighs, don't care. A little more than a King hub I guess.

Mike

Tarpon

Monkey
Jun 23, 2004
North Bend, WA
I've got the 108pt in the 150x12 for a "light" wheel (Single Track + single ply tire) for when I need to pedal to the trail head and a 36pt 150x12 (Mag30 + double ply tire) for shuttling. The quicker engagement is great, the 108pt was used mainly this winter and spring; it held up to the water and mud fine. My understanding is that you can convert the hubs to/from 108pt/36pt by replacing the drive shell so if 108pt doesn't work for you you can retrofit the hub.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I have been using a 135mm 108 pt Hadley for over a year on my regular trail bike. So far, it has been problem free. No adjustments or anything needed after many miles of hard riding. It runs smooth as the day I got it.

trialsmasta

Monkey
Oct 19, 2001
Austin TX
Had mine since xmas, the jury is still out though. With my age induced decay of mobility and fitness this hub didn't improve my trials riding. So don't buy this hub if you think the extra engagment will turn you into Ryan Leech. Other than that I have had no mechanical problems with it. As soon as the weather cools down I will be doing some extensive testing in attempts to get back into riding shape.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I have two, the first has been on my DH bike since the begining of last summer and pleanty of hour long uphill grinds as well as riding through pacific northwest slop. The has been on my 4x dj ride everywhere bike since march of this year. Absolutely no problem with either of them ever! I was concerned about this myself when I bought the first one, the guy at Hadley (bill i think) said that they would hold up 100% and that they would back them 100%, fwiw.

Oh yea if you want to know how big of a difference the 108 makes, go back and ride a standard hub after you have had a while on the hadley

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
Jesus said:
But are they as good as Chris Kings?

They have a lot of engagement points also.
I think concensus was that they're not any stronger than the 36pt. engagement hubs since there aren't any additional pawls that engage. And due to that, they're not as strong as King's ring drive mechanism. But then again, I don't hear about anyone breaking any Hadley internals (36 or 108pt.).

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
i've had 2 108s for about a year now, love em. love hadley, best customer support ever. love the interchangeble axles and such. chris king does have better ingagement, but only fits 135. Hadley can fit anything you need.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Jesus said:
But are they as good as Chris Kings?

They have a lot of engagement points also.

I think the Kings are better for durability. However, the 108 hadley engages quicker. Factor in Hadley's compatibility with any frame you will ever buy and their awesome CS, and they are hard to beat. Oh Yeah, and they're cheaper too.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
Bicyclist said:
Do they have that annoying sound, though?
i love that noise when i go off a jump or drop. its very soothing.
other then the Stealth hub, they are all going to make that noise. use a little more hadley lube and its not as bad. but whatever

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Annoying sound?!

That's the best part!

That "pissed off rattlesnake in a shoebox" sound that everyone can hear before they see you coming down the trail is the sh!t...
:D

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
I have the 108 on my SS hub that I got early this year. I LOVE it!!! Everytime I jump on another bike now without this hub, it feels like there's a lot of hesitation from the hub because of the fewer engagement points. And super customer service from Hadley!

toby

Tarpon

Monkey
Jun 23, 2004
North Bend, WA
S.K.C. said:
Annoying sound?!

That's the best part!

That "pissed off rattlesnake in a shoebox" sound that everyone can hear before they see you coming down the trail is the sh!t...
:D
I think "rattlesnake on speed" is a better description. :thumb:

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
the Inbred said:
ok...all seems well. so is there any retailer that has consistently lower prices?
I just bought the 108 pt from Balle Racing and a 20mm front from Speedgoat a couple weeks ago. Both had competitive prices and excellent customer service. As far as the hub goes, I've built quite a few wheels and have dealt with a fair amount of different hubs. I used to be diehard King fan all the way. Not anymore. Hadley has my vote, they flat out work well and they are cheaper. Not to mention, they fit a lot different frame configs.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Incubus said:
I don't hear about anyone breaking any Hadley internals (36 or 108pt.).
I broke one, and my teammate has also broken one. Neither engage properly anymore, luckily spare parts are supposed to be pretty cheap.

can't recall if they are 36 or 108 point, they are both 150x12 rears.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
btw king doesn't have more ratch points. the hadley has 108 and the king have 72. i have always like hadley hubs. never had a problem, i have heard of some though but these problems were always solved very quickly. but at the same time i have heard as many and the same problems with the kings.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Tarpon said:
I think "rattlesnake on speed" is a better description. :thumb:
When I first rode mine I was in Phoenix and a little paranoid about rattlesnakes. The first couple of times I coasted was just a bit unnerving. :p