Quantcast

Long Term RIP 9 Update

The Monkey

Chimp
Sep 3, 2006
Waterbury VT
OK. I've had a couple of lurkers on my blog ask, so here it is.
I've gotten quite a lot of time on my RIP so far, despite only having it less than 2 months.

Within the first ride, I was really astonished at how well the bike handled. A few more shakedown rides in, and I found the perfect set up. My initial gripe of a low BB (13" unsagged) is fading away. 13" is not low BTW, just 2" lower than my last bike. Up in VT a high BB helps.

Needless to say, I have made the adjustment, and really, a low BB like this keeps the center of gravity low which helps you rail turns. This thing carves like a scared cat. The stiff rear end and low COG make for a solid and predictable ride when slicing and dicing in the woods.

I've gotten the air pressure right in the back, I run the shock with the Pro Pedal off, with the setting on 1. I tried running it at 2 for a couple of rides, which seemed to slightly stiffen the rear in hard bumps, but I'm not sure if I could really tell a difference. I have the sag set at 3/4".

I am finding however, that the Reba is not enough fork for this rig. I run 10psi more in the negative chamber for small bump compliance, which has me sagging pretty far into the positive travel. It doesnt leave much headroom for big hits, but it sure is plush. I plan on getting a Maverick DUC this spring.

I have it set up as a 2x9, gearing is 34-22, with an 11-32 cassette. It works really well for around here. A big ring would just get in the way, and doesnt really ever get used.

So, back to the Reba. It was fine when I first got on the bike, but I am finding that the RIP is way more capable than what the Reba can deliver. And I feel that the Reba is one of the best forks on the market. I found myself increasing air pressure every ride, and I feel that it is at its performance limit for this frame.

The RIP begs to be pushed hard in every situaltion. The harder you push it, the more it begs to be pushed harder. I am really stoked with this bike.

So, to summarize:
Climbing
Really good. Get out of the saddle and crank, the bike moves forward.
Descending
Really good. Even better when you are pedalling. As I said before, it begs to be pushed hard.
Cornering
So darn good.
Weight
29.75lbs with pedals. With Rampage tires.
General Bahavior
Outstanding.

Link to some viddy

Unfortunately, I found out today that I blew the seals on the rear shock last weekend, so I will be off it for a while. :disgust:

I will use this time to squeeze myself onto the medium Spider demo bike I have, where I will begin a thorough test.
I'm bummed though. I really like my RIP...